Average Standard Carto Life Span - PG vs VG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonie

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2011
California
Hi all,

New vaper here with a quick question about the average life span of a standard type cartomizer:

How long, on average, do your standard cartos last when using:

1). an e-liquid composed mainly of PG?
2). an E -Liquid that is 100% VG?

I currently use Boge Standard resistance cartomizers, which have been lauded for their quality and consistency.

When using 100% VG juice I'm usually getting 2 days of great vaping, after which the flavor starts going downhill quite rapidly. I'm very good about keeping the cartos wet by adding a few drops whenever the top of the filler becomes white. Even though I make sure to keep them wet, my flavor really drops off a cliff after 2 days. I start getting harsher hits, with some that just taste plain acrid. Is this normal. What are your experiences? Did I just get a bad batch of cartos?

I have another Boge filled with a mostly PG juice, and it has lasted me 5 days, and the flavor is still pretty darn good.

I was thinking of buying a tank, but I'm afraid to fill it with my favorite VG juice because I'm afraid the cartomizer will start tasting bad before the tank is empty. It's too bad that I seem to like the taste of VG juices more so than PG ....:(

Katatonik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2011
Dallas, TX
i haven't noticed any lifespan difference between Pg or VG,,but it seems the darker juices shorten the life quite quickly
Dark juices obliterate life-span. It's ridiculous.

I don't know about a difference between pg vs vg, since all of my juice is a blend (mostly 50/50).

I use altsmoke's yeti 510 LR cartos on an eGo.
I usually try to stretch my carto to last a week, unless it just gets unbearable. And I notice that if I use my FSUSA vanilla or cream soda, that I get about a good 2 days of bliss followed by a sharp turn towards acrid. If I use medium juices like orange creamcicle or virginia tobacco, I get about 4 days of good.

I was wondering if anyone that uses tank systems, or dual coil cartos, get ridiculous life spans on theirs?

lisagaye

Jan 5, 2012
NC
I have a liquinator with a 3ml tank and use the cartos with 510 threading from Vaporescence. I'm getting 2 days max out of a carto before it turns to mush. My brother gets 3 weeks out of his, but he must not be as picky as me I guess. The flavor drops off, the batteries get used up faster, and it gets just plain unusable. I vape all the time so I give it a pretty heavy workout. Don't know if this helps any. At $2.50 a pop it's still cheaper than smoking analogs.

etrnldrk

Jan 30, 2012
Ohio
In the case of CE2 Ultimates (crack/break resistant tube), I can get about 2.5-3 weeks or so if I clean the heck out of it when the clearo runs out. First, before filling a CE2 at all, I super heat the wicks using a torch style lighter to burn off the chemicals/primer before use, including the coiled wick in the middle. Once it is white again, I let the innards cool down for 10-15 minutes before reassembly and filling. Since I vape Halo, I rarely have a ton of buildup in the coil. Regardless, I disassemble once more, rinse (soak if really nasty) in hot running water from the tap, dry the wicks with a paper towel, re-torch the wicks, dry burn 4 times and in between each dry burn I lightly tap the coil with a metal pen/move the wick to break up the dried crud and complete the burn, rinse once more and perform a final drying of the wicks and a final dry burn, then reassemble and refill and vape once more. This helps, but can be a lot of work and could burn out the coil if you are not careful or just plain unlucky.

:2c:

ShogaNinja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2012
Ohio
www.youtube.com
If you have metal cartos you can throw them in a pot of boiling water for no more than 5 minutes and turn of the heat and let them cool til it's safe to stick your hand in the water. Then blow them out through the battery terminal and set them out to dry battery terminal up on a paper towel overnight.

If you have plastic cartos get the hottest water you can out of the tap and then take a turkey baster and pop off the bulb. Pop your carto in terminal side down and proceed to run that turkey baster in and out for about 1 minute. Blow them out through the battery terminal and dry them as stated above. Change the water and repeat with additional cartos. You'll be surprised how easy this method is.

Another method of drying them is to take a carto condom and firmly attach a couple feet of kite string and give them a good whirl around outside. Be careful not to lose it in your yard though. Make sure everything is firmly fastened together. Some people use them immediately after doing this method but I would still recommend letting them dry overnight even after a good whirl. They do sell commercial carto dryers which you screw the cart into a connector and it spins it around inside a plastic cylinder and dries them out in 10 seconds flat but those aren't free.

The choice is yours. That's my 2 cents worth...

sh_

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2011
USA
Definitely darker juices will make your carto to be less durable and lose taste after just a few days. I bough a huge amount of cartos (50 of them actually) and I toss them after 4 to 5 days.

I was using them for away more time before but after starting replacing them more often really worth it for my juices considering taste (again, its really subjective and depends on the juices that you're using).

Hope its useful for you, keep vaping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread