Status
Not open for further replies.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I "torched" titanium to get some of the low end colors just to make it workable. Before I stopped using it I considered putting the whole roll in my kiln.

From what I know from knife making any temperature hot enough to vape with is annealing/tempering. That starts very low.
The temperatures Dr F threw out there were very basic and why I say we'd really need a metallurgist. Going by Dr F's temperatures yellow glow is the high number he gave, dull into cherry is OK, full cherry is getting far enough above his 700°C to avoid if it really is creating bad stuff. The colors are quite accurate, the problem is our perception of color is about as accurate as a computer screen.
I'm colorblind but I had schooling with someone who had seat of the pants experience standing over me.
These are the alloys of this ferrous metal (I'm non-ferrous but have some ferrous for tool making) and these alloys do this at this temperature and that is bad for the human body is beyond my pay grade.

There's still a lot of work to be done on open systems and their potential for typical and power users. Not enough really has been written on this. Thank goodness for steam-engine in helping to provide some of the numbers. Visual observations are difficult but practical in relating the temp we're seeing and mW/mm2 SA. Then what we're doing starts to make some sense. Operating wetted surface is another matter as it's below the visual spectrum but much cooler.

Good luck and keep it wet. :)

full

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread