AW IMR 14500 battery Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

abraxis669

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2011
Niagara Falls, NY
No. It means that the Chinese fellow or lady who typed the template for the label isn't fluent writing English. I misspell things all the time here on ECF and none of my posts are counterfeit as far as I can tell.

From what I've seen on ECF there isn't supposed to be label errors and this means they're a lower quality chinese knock-off product

abraxis669

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2011
Niagara Falls, NY
I just got some ultrafire 14500s from madvapes also and while I haven't noticed any misspelling I do notice that they are longer than my other ultrafire 14500s and don't want to fit into my devices very well. Also one of them is brown around the top and bottom where the others are white, I'm guessing it's burnt or something, I've only used it once and am not going to use it again. I just ordered some aw imr high drain batts from cloudsofvapor.com for $8 each with $3 shipping. I'm hoping they will solve the batt problems I've been having with my vv bottom feeder. Also I just got in some new 901 attys from vaporkings and they don't want to work with my batts.. on both my reg 3.7 box mod and my vv bottom feeder the batts cut off but when I put a boge carto on they work again. I'm very frustrated cause I really want these 901s to work because they are the best vape I've had since I started a year ago!

I just looked on the superT site... I coulda got them for $6.89 each with $1.35 shipping :glare: Oh well, that's right up there where my luck has been today!

My batteries from MV were also longer than my other 14500s... I'm guessing AW is the only way to go to get a good battery

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
My batteries from MV were also longer than my other 14500s... I'm guessing AW is the only way to go to get a good battery

Extra length - That's because they have a protection circuit, and the difference is mentioned in the description on madvapes website where it says 14mm across and 52.5 mm high. 14500 means 14 mm across and 50 mm high. Add the protection circuit and you have 14mm across and about 52.5 mm high just like it says. - AW produces high quality batteries for sure, and I've been steadily replacing my considerable li-on collection with AW and MNKE IMR batteries. AW is not the only manufacturer of high quality IMR and li-on cells. MNKE are also excellent and some of the BDLs are very good (there are a couple of manufacturers using some high quality Japanese cells too).

I purchased the gray Ultrafires.. They say..

"Discharge rate, no memory effect. Low reoccurring operation cist, Short-circuit and over-current, Protection; Sheif-leif around 10 Years; Envirommental friendly."

I don't think your 14500s say that. Your BRC 18650 3600 mah says that. There are three or four reviews of that battery on light hound and a couple on one of the RC forums. There is no doubt it was made by ultrafire. The reason to be mad about them isn't that they are counterfeit (because they absolutely are not) but that they are internally resisted and not the most appropriate battery for vaping standard resistance or very low resistance attys and cartos. The internal resistance makes them produce too low volts for standard resistance and keeps them from creating enough amps for really low resistance. Matching them with a 2.0 ohm coil seems to be an OK use, but there are better batteries for the task.... but no other readily available at that price.

The best use I found for that battery is in the AD-20 flashlight madvapes sells. It is a perfect fit and the internal resistance does a pretty good job of keeping the volts low enough to not overheat the LED. The combination of that light and that battery is just like holding a car headlight in your hand all night and all the next night and part of the night after that when they drain. They produce a lot of light and exhibit stability while doing so for extended periods of time.

There is a thread about those batts in madvapes sub-section of the forum.

Last edited:

Crankyfuzz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2009
MadVapes don't carry AW's, as far as the price that's about what everyone else is charging. Your charger will work, a better one is the Ultrafire WF 188, but everyone seems to be out of them right now. The best is the Pila, but there $45, all depends on what your needs are. The Ultrafire WF 188 and Pila are smart chargers, which means it stops charging when the batts hit optimum charge.

clouds of vapor has the ultra fire wf 188 in stock and a 10% off code bigbuyer

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
My ultrafire 14500s from madvapes are a bit longer also. they don't fit very well in my box mod and very quickly shorted out and were no good. I took them back to madvapes and the guy was very puzzled and concerned about them being longer and not fitting very well in his 5v box. I was able to trade for some new trustfires but they too trip the protection thing. I've got one set of grey trustfires that will work in my vv box mod.. all the others cut off after one vape. Ive got some aw imrs on order from cov. I'm hoping they will solve my problem and I'll be able to use my vv mod.

I just turned the voltage down way low and my new trustfires are working.. not cutting off after one vape. Looks like my voltage was too high for my atty.

Nope... even with the voltage turned way down, it's still cutting off!

Last edited:

Shadow102

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2011
Eastern Panhandle, WV
Nope... even with the voltage turned way down, it's still cutting off!

donnah-Ran into a similar issue with my 3.7v box running LR cartos. The 1.7's from CCV kept tripping the protection circuit on the TFs, I swapped it for the 2.0 Boges and it seems to be working fine (for the last 3 days at least.) I have a feeling the LR's were just drawing current too fast tricking the batts into tripping the protection circuit. I've got IMR's on order from Super T, hoping they'll let me use the 1.7s.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
donnah-Ran into a similar issue with my 3.7v box running LR cartos. The 1.7's from CCV kept tripping the protection circuit on the TFs, I swapped it for the 2.0 Boges and it seems to be working fine (for the last 3 days at least.) I have a feeling the LR's were just drawing current too fast tricking the batts into tripping the protection circuit. I've got IMR's on order from Super T, hoping they'll let me use the 1.7s.

That's odd because I use the 1.7s from ccv on my 3.7 box mods all the time, so does my friend and we've never had a problem with them tripping the protection circuit. My friend uses them on her 3.7 box exclusively with no cut off at all.

My 1.7 cartos work on my vv box also. It's frustrating trying to figure out what is going on. I ordered IMRs from cov and I too am hoping I will be able to use them on my vv bottomfeeder with my 901lr atty. It's also odd that my one set of grey trustfires don't trip the pc but my new ones do. Right now I'm able to run my LR 901 with the new trustfires but the voltage is turned way down (but they are still hitting like champs) it does cut off every once in a while but I reset it and fiddle with the voltage dial and off we go again. that's my problem.. there isn't any consistency... it'll work fine and then it won't.. it's working with a 2.5 306 atty. there isn't anything that I can pin down as being the culprit! My next atty order will be higher resistance than the 1.7.. I ordered the 1.7 because my friend and I split shipments and share the cost of shipping and she only uses a 3.7 box mod.. so anything higher in ohms will be too weak for her.

Last edited:

Shadow102

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2011
Eastern Panhandle, WV
That's odd because I use the 1.7s from ccv on my 3.7 box mods all the time, so does my friend and we've never had a problem with them tripping the protection circuit. My friend uses them on her 3.7 box exclusively with no cut off at all.

To the best of my knowledge mine are tripping because I went small form factor and am running 10440's in it, 14500's would probably work out ok, it just seems LR and 10440's aren't very friendly. We'll see how the IMRs do with it.

rwnielsen

Test Pilot
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2010
Long Beach CA
...can't speak to how good a vendor they are but they have great prices and free shipping...8.40 for the TR-001 charger tr-001 - Free Shipping - DealExtreme ...........
madjack:2cool:

I ordered some batteries and a charger from them over 2 weeks ago and it was in the last couple days I got a shipping notice.
I believe they are in China and, possibly, far from civilization :)

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
...can't speak to how good a vendor they are but they have great prices and free shipping...8.40 for the TR-001 charger tr-001 - Free Shipping - DealExtreme ...........
madjack:2cool:

dealextreme has good prices and you will get what you order from them eventually. However, expect it to take at least 3 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread