Bacon Flavor

Status
Not open for further replies.

OMG!

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2011
I tried the Bacon French Toast from Ms. T's Bakery. It was really, really gross in my opinion. It smelled wonderful at first but tasted horrible. I let it steep for over a month, trying it once a week during that time, but it just got worse instead of better. It had a strange medicinal smell by the time I finally gave up and tossed it.

Not picking on Ms T's because I absolutely LOVE every other flavor I've ever ordered from her, but this one just wasn't for me.

Zal42

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2011
Oregon
I got a bottle of TPA's bacon flavoring on a lark. Interestingly, there are some good reviews for it on their website. Not to diss TPA at all -- their offerings are first-rate -- but I'm still not sure about this bacon business, personally. I'm still recovering from my potency tests, where I try to find the "right" percentage of the flavoring to use. 10% was utterly vomitous. 5% was bad, but not wretched. 3% was not good. That's where I left it. I'll come back with more experiments later.

My thought is that the bacon flavoring might have to be used in the 1-2% range, and even then might not be something to be used alone. Maybe mixing it with a good maple would make it tasty. At this point, I don't know.

In any case, it seems to me that bacon is, at best, a tricky flavoring to use. I'm not surprised that the bacon juices out there are so horrible!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread