Battery and Charger Compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken B

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2013
Penang
Hello all

On a limited budget so trying to avoid buying yet another battery charger.

I have these :- Panasonic CGR18650CH batteries for my vamo, and would like to try and use this :- Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 6A Balancer/Charger w/ accessories

which I already have to safely charge them.

Could anyone kindly advise if this would be a suitable charger for these batteries. I use the charger at the moment to charge my Li-Po helicopter batteries, but as the specs say it will also charge Li-Ion.

The specs of the charger are :- Features;
Microprocessor controlled
Delta-peak sensitivity (NiMH/NiCd)
Individual cell balancing
Li-ion, LiPo and LiFe capable
Ni-Cd and NiMH capable
Large range of charge currents
Store function, allows safe storage current
Time limit function
Input voltage monitoring. (Protects car batteries at the field)
Data storage (Store up to 5 packs in memory)
Battery break in and cycling.

Spec.
Input Voltage: 11~17v
Circuit power: Max Charge: 50W / Max Discharge: 5W
Charge Current Range: .1~6.0A
Ni-MH/NiCd cells: 1~15
Li-ion/Poly cells: 1~6
Pb battery voltage: 2~20v

Many thanks for any help, and any advice on charge setting very much appreciated.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Ken, I have a similar charger for my Lipo RC airplane batteries. These chargers are fantastic, but you will have to make a fixture to make the physical connection between the charger and the battery. Also, if you need advice on the charge setting, you should very likely not be doing this.

It's not so bad if you make a mistake and fry or blow up a helicopter battery (other than the fire risk). Your Panasonic CGR18650CH will be very close to your face and any issues could become very painful quite quickly. It was for this safety issue that I bought a Xtar charger for my 18650's. No settings to make and so no possible mistakes that I would regret later. I think you can buy one of these for under $20.

Last edited:

Ken B

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2013
Penang
Ken, I have a similar charger for my Lipo RC airplane batteries. These chargers are fantastic, but you will have to make a fixture to make the physical connection between the charger and the battery. Also, if you need advice on the charge setting, you should very likely not be doing this.

It's not so bad if you make a mistake and fry or blow up a helicopter battery (other than the fire risk). Your Panasonic CGR18650CH will be very close to your face and any issues could become very painful quite quickly. It was for this safety issue that I bought a Xtar charger for my 18650's. No settings to make and so no possible mistakes that I would regret later. I think you can buy one of these for under $20.

Ryedan. Many thanks for the useful reply. I already have a fixture to connect to the charger, but I do take on board the concerns that you have, and will act accordingly.

Many thanks again for your interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread