Battery Chemistry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

H4X0R

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2014
NM
Hey guys, so I've been reading up on different battery types, And their advantages and disadvantages, what I can't seem to find however is how they differ in venting and thermal runaway. Do all batteries spray fire super violently like Lithium ion and Lithium polymers do? People refer to IMRs and INRs as "safe chemistry". What does this mean exactly? Are they much harder to vent or cause thermal runaway? Do they spray fire like other said batteries? Thanks guys! What would be the ideal battery type to go with so you don't have to worry so much about safety?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2015
Toledo,Oh
I'll try my best to explain. Safe chemistries, like the ones we use, tend to vent hot liquid, whereas lipo's tend to explode, or catch on fire. There is no such thing as the "safest battery" they all can vent and cause severe burns if treated wrong. We need more info to recommend a battery. What kind of device are you using?

Reactions: Baditude

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2015
Toledo,Oh
Well right now a Tesla Two with built in Li-Po batteries, but I'm thinking of moving up to a wismec rx200! People say the Samsung 25r IMR batteries are good, but they're 20amp batteries..... do they work as well as others claim?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

25r is good, LG HG2 is what I use because of the battery life. RX200 will not disappoint you, everybody I know who owns one loves it. I would use the LG HG2 with it, if you're crazy and push more than 200 watts get the Sony VTC batteries.

Reactions: Baditude

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
There are no absolutely SAFE batteries. Every battery has the potential to vent or explode.

IMR/INR are "safer chemistry" than LiPo or ICR batteries. When LiPo or ICR batteries go into thermal runaway, flames and explosions generally result. If you are lucky, all an IMR or INR battery will do is vent hot gas ... but there still is the possibility of an explosion with a safer chemistry battery.

phot1o-jpg.255217
photo-jpg.255218

AW IMR 18490 battery which exploded in a book bag after coming into contact with metal (coins or keys). Transport spare batteries in a plastic battery case.

I'm not sure if you've read my blogs on batteries, which explain the differences in battery chemistries:

Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries Part 1
  • For those who want to learn the differences between IMR, IMR/hybrid, ICR, and LiPo batteries. What do those numbers and letters on batteries mean? What's an amp rating and why is it more important than the mAh rating when choosing a battery for vaping?
Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping
  • A popular and essential read to understand which batteries are safe to use in mechanical and regulated mods. Includes a frequently updated list of recommended safe-chemistry, high-drain batteries with their specifications.

Battery Mooch has also written about battery chemistries in his blog, and speaks at some length about venting and thermal runaway:

Concerning battery recommendations, IMHO the top three batteries currently on the market are the:

LG HG2
Samsung 30Q
"new" AW
All three are 3000mAh and 20 amps continuous, a nice mix of capacity and current handling.

image-jpeg.555235

If you really require a true 30 amp battery, LG has four options and the Sony VTC3 are 30A batteries. They all only have 1500mAh though.

The Sony VTC4 and VTC5 are only 20 amp batteries according to Mooch's bench tests.

To stay "safer", choose the better battery brands like AW, LG, Samsung, and Sony. Avoid the "rewrap" brands (everyone else). Purchase from reputable battery vendors to avoid getting counterfeits.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom Waznis

H4X0R

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2014
NM
There are no absolutely SAFE batteries. Every battery has the potential to vent or explode.

IMR/INR are "safer chemistry" than LiPo or ICR batteries. When LiPo or ICR batteries go into thermal runaway, flames and explosions generally result. If you are lucky, all an IMR or INR battery will do is vent hot gas ... but there still is the possibility of an explosion with a safer chemistry battery.

phot1o-jpg.255217
photo-jpg.255218

AW IMR 18490 battery which exploded in a book bag after coming into contact with metal (coins or keys). Transport spare batteries in a plastic battery case.

I'm not sure if you've read my blogs on batteries, which explain the differences in battery chemistries:

• For those who want to learn the differences between IMR, IMR/hybrid, ICR, and LiPo batteries. What do those numbers and letters on batteries mean? What's an amp rating and why is it more important than the mAh rating when choosing a battery for vaping?
  • A popular and essential read to understand which batteries are safe to use in mechanical and regulated mods. Includes a frequently updated list of recommended safe-chemistry, high-drain batteries with their specifications.

Battery Mooch has also written about battery chemistries in his blog, and speaks at some length about venting and thermal runaway:

Concerning battery recommendations, IMHO the top three batteries currently on the market are the:

LG HG2
Samsung 30Q
"new" AW
All three are 3000mAh and 20 amps continuous, a nice mix of capacity and current handling.

image-jpeg.555235

If you really require a true 30 amp battery, LG has four options and the Sony VTC3 are 30A batteries. They all only have 1500mAh though.

The Sony VTC4 and VTC5 are only 20 amp batteries according to Mooch's bench tests.

To stay "safer", choose the better battery brands like AW, LG, Samsung, and Sony. Avoid the "rewrap" brands (everyone else). Purchase from reputable battery vendors to avoid getting counterfeits.
Was looking over these battery options just now, those LG HG2s look good to me! They would max out at 180watts? Probably wouldn't wanna go above 150w for safety. Then again, I don't think I'll even be vaping that high.

phot1o-jpg.255217
photo-jpg.255218

LG HG2
Samsung 30Q
"new" AW

image-jpeg.555235

Scuse me while I remove my cell phone from my pocket...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread