Battery maintenance and storage techniques.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
I have found a dreadful lack of battery information In the ecig world. I will post helpful links here for anyone wanting to learn more about the power supplies we rely on so much. Anyone who wants to add useful links please add them as well.

These are from batteryuniversity.com which contains everything you could possibly want to know:
Types of Lithium-ion Batteries

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Frequetly Asked Questions on How to Charge Batteries

The stickies on this thread are great for information on chargers:
Chargers | BudgetLightForum.com

qccraig

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2012
Cape Coral, FL
Thanks for the links. I've been to battery university before. Making batteries last starts with a good charger and a good device that lets you know when the output volts decrease beyond the limits of the battery. Don't over charge and don't over discharge and you'll get around 500 cycles out of a AW IMR. And, never carry a battery in your pocket when it is full of loose change. Learned that the hard way one day.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
These Charging bags area cheap bit of insurance in case a charger over charges a battery.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Lip...f3e026c4315f54&bpcl=38625945&biw=1278&bih=578

LIPOBAG.jpg

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
I'm using a metal "cash box" I got from Staples. I drilled a hole in the side for the cord and now I have a fire safe box.

DSCF4403.jpg DSCF4404.jpg

I admit this would be overkill for someone charging 600mAh batteries but I'm charging 2000mAh and 3500mAh IMR batteries.

In either case charge in a fire safe location away from drapes etc. I think a good guideline is, if you wouldn't put a candle there don't put a charging battery there.

Last edited:

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
As I have delved into LiIon technology I have found some handy tips.

When charging any LiIon battery there is what is called the "C" rating of the battery. Lets take a AW IMR 18650 2000mAh 3.7V. It's C rating is 2000mAh. When charging, you can charge at 1C but it is hard on the battery. It is best to charge at .5C or less. For the 2000mAh battery .5 X 2000=1000mAh or 1 Amp charge current at 3.7V. This reduces stresses in the battery such as internal heating and oxidization rates. Reducing the rate to .4C or 800mAh is even better. One thing to know is although it will take a bit longer to charge the battery at a lower rate, it will help the battery last longer overall. So the slower the charge the happier the battery.

Basic guidelines: (these are approximate)

1C rate = 300-500 charge cycles
.5C rate =800-1000 charge cycles
.4C rate 1000-1500 charge cycles

If you lower the cutoff Voltage to 4.1v vs 4.2V batteries last even longer.

Cutoff Voltage = charge cycles
4.2V = 300-500 charge cycles
4.1V = 600-1000 charge cycles
4.0V = 1200-2000 charge cycles

Adding these two factors together and you get silly cell life. But that's a topic for another post, plus you need a really fancy charger to do that. (see next post :p)

Last edited:

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
Now for the really geeky amongst us. My new toy, the iCharger 106B+ :D (from a suggestion I got from a new friend Henrik in Denmark) http://www.progressiverc.com/icharger-106b.html

106.jpg

This will do everything you ever wanted. It is what is called a Hobby Charger. They do not come with a power supply so you have to buy one separately or make one using a spare PC power supply. They are immensely useful and can be used with a 12V car battery to run some really cool tests on batteries.

(from Henrik's site)
*LiIon fast charge, this will usual charge until the current are down to 1/5 of the charge current. This is the fastest charge, but the batteries are not completely filled.
*LiIon charge, this will usual charge until the current are down to 1/10 of the charge current.
*LiIon slow charge, this will charge until the current are somewhere below 1/10. This is the slowest charging and will stuff the most energy into the battery.
*LiIon balance charge, this requires connections from the balance port to each cell and will supervise that each cell in a series connection to prevent it from being overcharged. This is used with battery packs and can also exist in slow/fast versions.
*LiIon storage, this will charge or discharge the cell to optimal voltage for long term storage (i.e. storage for months or years).
*LiIon discharge, this will discharge the battery while measuring how much current was in it. This function is very useful to check a cells capacity.
*LiIon cycle, a combination of charge and discharge, it is often possible to do multiple cycles and see how much current was charged and discharged for each cycle.
*LiIon balance, only do the balancing, i.e. discharge the cells with high voltage until they all have the same voltage.
*NiMH/NiCd charge, regular fast charge that uses dv/dt to stop the charge.
*NiMH/NiCd forming charge, a special charge that is used to balance new battery packs.
*NiMH/NiCd discharge, this will discharge the battery while measuring how much current was on it. This function is very useful to check a cells capacity.
*NiMH/NiCd cycle, a combination of charge and discharge, it is often possible to do multiple cycles and see how much current was charged and discharged for each cycle.
*Pb charge, normal charge.
*Pb discharge, this will discharge the battery while measuring how much current was on it. This function is very useful to check a cells capacity. Some Pb batteries do not like a full discharge!
*Measure internal resistance in batteries.
*Regenerative discharge, when discharging the battery the power is not wasted as heat, but returned to the supply leds, this will only work if the charger is supplied from a rechargeable battery! When the charger has this function it can usual discharge at very high rates.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread