Status
Not open for further replies.

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Ordered my AW IMR 14500's from Eveready for my Reo Mini on Friday night late and they were in my mailbox today, all packaged up in a great way! Awesome company- was signed by Dan and his wife, Sarah, "the vapor." LOL. I put these on the charger and the light turned green in no time. I have been using protected and BDL (also an IMR battery) but these AW's put out much more vape than the batteries before them! Wow! Certainly the ones to get! :)

Well, as usual, I'm the oddball I bought Ultrfire 18650s 3000mah from madvapes and Trustfire 14500s 900 mah for the mini and No more than I know thee perfect. The 18650 easily last me all day and into the night. I originally had and have an AW IC 18650 2900 mah which is actually to big for my Grand. It fits but completely flattens the spring. The Ultrafire fits easily and is easy to get out.

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
Well, as usual, I'm the oddball I bought Ultrfire 18650s 3000mah from Madvapes and Trustfire 14500s 900 mah for the mini and No more than I know thee perfect. The 18650 easily last me all day and into the night. I originally had and have an AW IC 18650 2900 mah which is actually to big for my Grand. It fits but completely flattens the spring. The Ultrafire fits easily and is easy to get out.

As long as your not running LR attys on the Mini..... The 14500 TF "900"mAh, does not have enough amp output to run LR attys, and will stress your batteries. It also defeats the purpose of using LR attys to begin with.. To simulate a 5v vaping experience.. It will work, but at the cost of not feeding the LR atty what it's spec'ed for...

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
So you need IMR on the mini to run LR atties properly?

Yes.... The TF 900mAh 14500 does not have adequate amp output to deliver the 2.5 amps that the LR atty is trying to draw.. You end up stressing the battery, and the atty not getting the amps / wattage (heat) that it's designed for..

Rob is now recommending the AW IMR 14500 for the Mini...

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
Just want to be clear here, dopeh. The IMRs are now being recommended, but the TF and UF batteries do work. They don't give you the 5V simulated experience, but they do work just fine. I have both now and use both. I have been using the same UF and TF batteries since August and haven't had a problem yet. I agree with Techno that the IMRs do seem to work better in the minis, but you don't have to go out and buy more stuff right away. Just be aware of your batteries and what their voltage is coming off the charger, regardless of whether they're protected Li-io or IMRs. :)

dopeh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2011
Montreal
Thanks guys for the info. I do already have AW IMR 14500 on the way, and will always check the voltages. In the meantime I have one IMR 14500 from Avid but it's a BDL.

First impression is that I prefer my Grand but it could just be the BDL battery. Anybody know if the AW are longer? I'm not a big fan of the battery moving down when I hit the button, no biggie, but on my Grand it doesn't move and so feels more solid and is easier to use.

dopeh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2011
Montreal
I'm toying with the idea of a piece of hard plastic tubing to be slipped over the spring to prevent battery movement - it will be a tad shorter than the spring so contact isn't an issue. It should work though and not move like the spacer magnets..

Hmm maybe I'll cut a piece off a cheap pen lol

Last edited:

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
I'm toying with the idea of a piece of hard plastic tubing to be slipped over the spring to prevent battery movement - it will be a tad shorter than the spring so contact isn't an issue. It should work though and not move like the spacer magnets..

Hmm maybe I'll cut a piece off a cheap pen lol

Sweet idea... I looked around, and spied a blank 801 cart.. I used the cart cover to cut a ring out of, and it works well. :) If the Mini shorts, the spring should collapse into the ring, and break contact very well... :)

Last edited:

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
According to our resident battery expert, the BDL 14500 does not put out sufficient voltage for a LR atty.
I didn't know that- what I do know is that they don't hold a charge like the AW IMR's and that if they sit around, the voltage drops... also takes longer to charge...Overall, the BDL is not such a good battery.

dopeh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2011
Montreal
Sweet idea... I looked around, and spied a blank 801 cart.. I used the cart cover to cut a ring out of, and it works well. :) If the Mini shorts, the spring should collapse into the ring, and break contact very well... :)

I also thought it shouldn't affect the short protection, and I posted the mod in the mod thread with pics, however Rob says its not a good idea. I dunno but I'm taking it out for now until someone more knowledgeable than me chimes in hehe for now I'm taking Rob's word for it.

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
If I'm able to get the grand this week/ I'm thinking about getting these Protected 18650 Battery, 3000 mah. I'm always out and about so I'm looking for a longer life.

I can't tell you where it is, but testing has shown that the AW IMR 18650's last as long as the 2900 and 3000 protected mah's with no drop-off in performance until they are done. The protected batteries theoretically last longer, but at too weak of a vape.

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
Where do you think I should get them from I will need a charger too. I also have a headlamp fish night fishing that takes 123a battery's can I get a charger that charger that works with 123a and the 18650 battery's? I'm all new to this so I would like to get it right the 1st time.

AW 18650 IMR Rechargeable Battery for SureFire® - Lithium (3.0-4.2v) - Batteries & Chargers - OVEREADY Flashlights/Torches - Control The Dark

AW IMR18650 1600mAh LiMN rechargeable lithium battery

Most of us use the WF-139 or Pila charger. If you are talking about the 3.7 v 123 batts, they will work with those chargers. If it is the 3v, they take a different charger.

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
What charger do you think would be a good one?

Personally, I've been wanting a Pila, but they are almost $50, so I now have 2 of the WF-139's, which comes out cheaper than 1 Pila. You do have to make sure to pull the batts when the light turns green or risk gradually damaging them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread