Bench Test Results: Hohm Tech Hohm Life 20.7A 3077mAh 18650...accurately rated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These tests below only note the ESTIMATED ratings for these batteries at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, Murata, LG, Panasonic, Molicel, or Sanyo can change at any time! This is one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of personal injury or property damage. They are not meant to be used outside of a physically and electrically protected battery pack. Never exceed the battery’s current rating and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition. Use of any of these batteries is AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved, understands the risks, has the proper equipment, and takes all appropriate safety precautions.

If the battery has only one current rating number, or if it only says "max", then I have to assume the battery is rated at that current level for any type of discharge, including continuous.

C2C6ECC8-B2D0-4DA7-9DF8-8813CDB626E0.jpeg F6B4F9F9-C2D9-436C-94D2-2BB887D33878.jpeg 7ECEF5DE-41F1-48B1-A745-BE154A99DB02.jpeg 711551C1-ECB6-4480-B2AB-4A48D11D9AD9.jpeg

Bottom Line
    This is an accurately rated cell that performs the same as the LG HG2 and the Samsung 30Q. The Sony/Murata VTC6 performed a touch better in my testing than those three cells but I don’t know if you’d see the difference when vaping.

The capacities for the three Hohm Life cells I tested ranged from 3074mAh to 3092mAh at 600mA (0.2C) down to 2.5V. Though one of the cells was a tiny bit under the 3077mAh rating it was very close and I am using different equipment than Hohm Tech. I am rating these cells at 3077mAh. This is the same capacity range as the VTC6, HG2, and 30Q.

Hohm Tech is switching over to a wattage-based ratings system and the Hohm Life cell is using a wrap with these ratings. There is a 60W rating in a larger font (thankfully) and an “87W MAX” rating with an asterisk that is explained in fine print elsewhere on the wrap.

This max rating is temperature limited to 80°C. This means you could potentially use this cell at up to 87W if you don’t let it get hot. That is about 30A though and while it is possible to go that high with this cell it does not lead to good performance and your vaping time will be short. I recommend limiting use of any cell to its continuous current rating or lower. This reduces risk, increases overall cell life, and improves performance.

Some of the ratings on the wrap are still printed quite small and the Wh rating is hard to read on the patterned background they use.

C5588174-BB5D-4D5E-BE1E-0BC99665C1B3.jpeg 3D29CFC4-2131-4DFB-9FFD-CE056B34C8A9.jpeg 7A0E4212-C772-4106-956A-03A77E35BA37.jpeg

This new wattage-based ratings system, when fully implemented, could make things easier for new vapers to choose the Hohm Tech cell that best fits the way they vape. But it means they might not learn about current ratings and other things they will need to know if they use any other company’s batteries. I’m torn as to whether it is a good idea or not. I look forward to seeing how the community reacts to it.

Hohm Tech (www.hohmtech.com) donated cells for testing, thank you!

Continuous Current Discharge Graphs
    9CACE587-5465-4B4C-B900-57CA85FED24D.jpeg 3E73C827-C1D5-4C6E-9BF1-A46BF290CBFC.jpeg

Ratings Graphic
    6D16F8A4-9886-4ED1-B0F0-646C003BD52D.jpeg

Performance Specs
    • DC Internal Resistance = 16.7mOhms*** (milliohms) average for the three cells.
    • Watt-hours (energy) delivered at 10A down to 3.2V = 7.4Wh
    • Watt-hours (energy) delivered at 20A down to 3.2V = 5.4Wh
    I want to work for the vaping community full time! If you feel what I do is worth a couple dollars a month and you would like early access to battery availability, battery and charger testing and news, and a say in what I test, then please consider becoming a patron and supporting my testing efforts: Battery Mooch is creating battery tests and educating vapers | Patreon.

To see how other cells have tested check out this link: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

***I have switched test jigs, resulting in slightly lower IR readings versus my previous setup. Add 1.6mOhms to this IR value in order to compare these cells to others tested previously.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread