Bench Test Results: Samsung 20Q 2000mAh 18650...15A battery, do not confuse with Samsung 20R or 20S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These tests below only note the estimated ratings for these batteries at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, LG, Panasonic, or Sanyo can change at any time! This is one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of personal injury or property damage. They are not meant to be used outside of a protected battery pack. Never exceed the battery’s current rating and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved, understands the risks, has the proper equipment, and takes all appropriate safety precautions.

If the battery has only one current rating number, or if it only says "max", then I have to assume the battery is rated at that current level for any type of discharge, including continuous.

F0D1AF4B-99CB-45BA-B4F7-63225D80F896.jpeg FDC90047-BDB0-4803-9D3C-B4B22DC66CDF.jpeg DEEC968D-6B31-48F2-8225-DDD596375AB7.jpeg 05FEE61A-A5F8-448F-801E-5FBD1F19B982.jpeg

Bottom Line
    These were purchased to add to my “reference cell” library to help with counterfeit detection. This is a low performance, low capacity cell. It’s just not worth considering using for vaping.

I am estimating this cell’s ratings to be the same as Samsung’s ratings, 15A and 2000mAh.

Two cells were purchased for the purposes of testing by me.

Continuous Current Discharge Graph
    E5B2DE32-493E-433F-8ED4-D160CBEAFE6C.jpeg

Ratings Graphic
    0F29C672-4BC4-4298-BBAC-67C89445E989.jpeg

I want to work for the vaping community full time! If you feel what I do is worth a couple dollars a month and you would like early access to battery availability and testing news and a say in what I test then please consider becoming a patron and supporting my testing efforts: https://www.patreon.com/batterymooch

To see how other cells have tested check out this link: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2016
    Alhama de Murcia, Spain
    The letter (Q) says it all, it's the way Samsung bins the discharge rate of their cells. A 30Q cell exhibits sort of this class discharge performance, a tad better maybe due to being newer tech.
    An “R” means guaranteed 20A continuous (25R), a “T” is 35A (INR21700-30T folks). I wonder what are they going to settle for with the “S”, obviously something in between 20A and 35A. Since they've made a 20S and a 24S, I believe they could settle in 30A for the 20S and 25A for the 24S, don't you think, Mooch? ;)
    By the way, any chance for a test of the high voltage Samsung ICR18650-30B? Yes, I know it is a low discharge cell and HKJ tested it… but many years ago. They've for sure improved the cell.
    For vaping it would be suitable for up to 35-40W in dual cell regulated mods, with nice performance under 20W.
    Since it is a high voltage cell it would provide long lifespan when charged at only 4.2V (while still delivering ≈2500mAh).
    Of course you're free to choose :D no worries, at this moment HKJ's battery list is probably longer than The Great Wall (I asked him to review the hardly 15A cell Lii-40A months ago -he ordered it on 1/20/2018- and its review was published on :eek: 5/8/2018 LoL).
    Thanks a whole lot as always. :)

Cheers :p

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I
    The letter (Q) says it all, it's the way Samsung bins the discharge rate of their cells. A 30Q cell exhibits sort of this class discharge performance, a tad better maybe due to being newer tech.
    An “R” means guaranteed 20A continuous (25R), a “T” is 35A (INR21700-30T folks). I wonder what are they going to settle for with the “S”, obviously something in between 20A and 35A. Since they've made a 20S and a 24S, I believe they could settle in 30A for the 20S and 25A for the 24S, don't you think, Mooch? ;)
    By the way, any chance for a test of the high voltage Samsung ICR18650-30B? Yes, I know it is a low discharge cell and HKJ tested it… but many years ago. They've for sure improved the cell.
    For vaping it would be suitable for up to 35-40W in dual cell regulated mods, with nice performance under 20W.
    Since it is a high voltage cell it would provide long lifespan when charged at only 4.2V (while still delivering ≈2500mAh).
    Of course you're free to choose :D no worries, at this moment HKJ's battery list is probably longer than The Great Wall (I asked him to review the hardly 15A cell Lii-40A months ago -he ordered it on 1/20/2018- and its review was published on :eek: 5/8/2018 LoL).
    Thanks a whole lot as always. :)

Cheers :p

The 30T and 40T do not have the same rating.
    The 20R and 25R do not have the same rating.

While the letter suffix surely means some sort of family classification which might share similar ratings, it can be problematic to use the suffix to guess the current ratings for other cells.

I haven’t had any requests to test the ICR18650-30B yet so I probably won’t be adding it to the queue. The queue is just too deep now.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread