Bench Test Results: Ultrafire 1200mAh Button Top 18350...2A rated, 700mAh, DO NOT BUY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These tests below only note the estimated ratings for these batteries at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, LG, Panasonic, or Sanyo can change at any time! This is one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of personal injury or property damage. They are not meant to be used outside of a protected battery pack. Never exceed the battery’s current rating and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved, understands the risks, has the proper equipment, and takes all appropriate safety precautions.

If the battery has only one current rating number, or if it only says "max", then I have to assume the battery is rated at that current level for any type of discharge, including continuous.

E872B5E7-5548-49FB-9D27-E5AEC291CC02.jpeg 82B18271-8584-44E9-97FC-CD21914C0CA6.jpeg AF0819CF-B949-4298-B581-2E66C325FFE0.jpeg 6B41CDAF-3BBD-47C1-B200-FBF51844ECF8.jpeg

Bottom Line
    Why test 18350’s? I get a lot of requests for this as many vapers still use them.

Why test a cell from a company with such a terrible reputation? We always have new vapers joining our community and they might not know about the reputations that UltraFire and TrustFire have.

This UltraFire is a useless cell.

Its voltage immediately collapsed at only 5A and the two cells I tested only delivered 728mAh and 750mAh for a 240mAh (0.2C) discharge down to 2.5V. Its internal resistance is astoundingly high, causing huge amounts of voltage sag.

I am estimating this cell’s ratings at 2A and 700mAh. Current ratings for high internal resistance batteries like these are a combination of the temperature the battery runs at and how badly the voltage sags, i.e., its Wh specs.

Two cells were purchased for the purposes of testing by me.

Continuous Current Discharge Graph
    4E5DACDC-62D4-472B-85DD-CC9AAF994CF0.jpeg

Ratings Graphic
    70F39753-4A07-42C5-872C-BE48786A946C.jpeg

Performance Specs
    - DC Internal Resistance = 140.7mOhms (milliohms) average for the two cells.
    - Total energy delivered down to 3.2V at 5A continuous = 0.004Wh (Watt-hours) average

I want to work for the vaping community full time! If you feel what I do is worth a couple dollars a month and you would like early access to battery availability and testing news and a say in what I test then please consider becoming a patron and supporting my testing efforts: Battery Mooch is creating battery tests and educating vapers | Patreon

To see how other cells have tested check out this link: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2016
    Alhama de Murcia, Spain
    Actually, UltraFire is a quite counterfeited chinese brand name. They have a (let's say) decent product range, see their official site here: http://www.ultrafire.com
    Peek in there and you'll see the only 18350 listed is this one: ULTRAFIRE BRC 18350 3.7V 1100mAh Rechargeable LITHIUM Battery WITH Positive plate PROTECTION(2PS) - Ultrafire.com
    e875c090313c6d432df83db5280dd529-1200x1200.jpg

HKJ tested it, seems to use the right now top performing Yongdeli 18350 15A 1100mAh cell under its wrap, with a protection circuit.
    Thus, the above mentioned UltraFire cell is a fake piece of @#$%, this is pretty normal in China as you may have noticed already LoL. :eek:

Cheers :)

Last edited:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Thus, the above mentioned UltraFire cell is a fake, this is pretty normal in China as you may have noticed already LoL. :eek:

<deep sigh> You are wrong as UltraFire does sell the battery I tested.

UltraFire 18350 3.7V 1200mAh Rechargeable Lithium Batteries Without Protection(2PCS) - Ultrafire.com

Rated at 2.4A, damn close to my rating but horribly overrated capacity.

Could I have tested fakes? Always possible, with any battery. But UltraFire sells the model battery I tested.

Last edited:
    Reactions: KenD

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2016
    Alhama de Murcia, Spain
    Well, knowing it all is not my business yet.
    I just couldn't find that 18350 there, but now I see it in the spanish website's main page LoL.
    But I also said what I said because, besides the “.com” UltraFire website, there's also this WhaFat Technological Co.,Ltd (ultrafire.net) thing, and it also happened to me and another BLF member which we bought an inexpensive UltraFire flashlight but later couldn't find it in the website at all (and it was a very bad torch). :blink:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Well, knowing it all is not my business yet.
    I just couldn't find that 18350 there, but now I see it in the spanish website's main page LoL.
    But I also said what I said because, besides the “.com” UltraFire website, there's also this WhaFat Technological Co.,Ltd (ultrafire.net) thing, and it also happened to me and another BLF member which we bought an inexpensive UltraFire flashlight but later couldn't find it in the website at all (and it was a very bad torch). :blink:

Knowing it all has nothing to do with our conversation.
    You said definitively they only sold that one 18350 you found. I found the one I tested in a few seconds. That’s all we’re talking about.

China does have a remarkably confusing bunch of web sites though...lots of them interrelated too.

Reactions: Baditude

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2016
    Alhama de Murcia, Spain
    Knowing it all has nothing to do with our conversation.
    You said definitively they only sold that one 18350 you found. I found the one I tested in a few seconds. That’s all we’re talking about.
    Am I feeling certain hostility from your part? I'd say this has to do with a certain previous conversation where it seems you got a bit mad with me, but no need to unnecessarily question my beliefs. All we believe has reasons to be in our minds, be it good or bad.
    I know it is possible to do a search for “18350” in their website. That protected 18350 cell I referred above was the only one I found in the Batteries menu, subcategory 18350 Battery, in the UltraFire website. That's all.

Robin Becker

ECF Veteran
    Feb 3, 2018
    Berlin
    Hi Mooch, Hi Barkuti,

As far as I know and remember Ultrafire has never been really a traded mark, so every one can missus this name. Indeed around 10 years ago, there were good products coming from China under this brand name. Ultrafire had at this time very good and innovative LED flashlights...I even still have one (UV for Geocaching)
    So I think that both of you are right. On the one hand you can still find good products sold under this brand from the initial company, on the other hand, so many Chinese missuesd this brand name, that if you don´t know where to buy, most probably you will get only crap.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Am I feeling certain hostility from your part? I'd say this has to do with a certain previous conversation where it seems you got a bit mad with me, but no need to unnecessarily question my beliefs. All we believe has reasons to be in our minds, be it good or bad.
    I know it is possible to do a search for “18350” in their website. That protected 18350 cell I referred above was the only one I found in the Batteries menu, subcategory 18350 Battery, in the UltraFire website. That's all.

Mad? No.
    A bit frustrated, yes. You often make definitive statements about which cells might be used for certain “rewraps” without anything other than comparing (unreliable) online specs and appearance. This can mislead vapers and I feel shouldn’t be done without testing to make sure. Just my opinion on it.

This combined with definitively saying there was only one 18350 got me frustrated. I wasn’t lashing out at you, just being direct. My apologies if it seemed to be anything other than that.

I think it’s great that you do so much research into alternative cells, from the mainstream ones everyone uses, and find additional test data and sources. But we have different approaches to what we tell vapers.

My being frustrated is unfair to you though if I don’t talk to you about it. If I have any issues with a post I will be more neutral in my response or I will contact you privately.

Last edited:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    By the way Mooch, take a peek at this Shockli 21700 4550mAh (purple) 2018 HKJ review. Capacity seems a slight tad overstated, but looks interesting, with rather high capacity and discharge rate performance both at the same time. :thumb:

Shockli%2021700%204550mAh%20(Purple)%202018-Capacity.png

Shockli%2021700%204550mAh%20(Purple)%202018-Temp-20.0.png

I wonder what is the OEM behind.

Dunno, but that ring on the bottom is familiar. I have forgotten which other cells have it. 22A seems fairly reasonable but, yea, a bit optimistic on the capacity rating.

Reactions: stols001
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread