Bench Test Results: Vapcell P1835A Protected 10A 3500mAh 18650 with USB connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These tests below only note the ESTIMATED ratings for these batteries at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, Murata, LG, Panasonic, Molicel, or Sanyo can change at any time! This is one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of personal injury or property damage. They are not meant to be used outside of a physically and electrically protected battery pack. Never exceed the battery’s current rating and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition. Use of any of these batteries is AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved, understands the risks, has the proper equipment, and takes all appropriate safety precautions.

If the battery has only one current rating number, or if it only says "max", then I have to assume the battery is rated at that current level for any type of discharge, including continuous.

16D1DC7A-81A3-4800-8311-B21EC192F2DC.jpeg C35C1280-3CF8-4518-982B-CFAC67D2C799.jpeg BBA7EDDA-836F-4BB3-A535-D22B898EB743.jpeg 5C509D00-698B-44B0-8F15-0B88BECD5D85.jpeg 9012B2F7-0F6D-4C4E-9034-E83B35118217.jpeg C25169D6-11D0-4913-9AB5-51F9F955F35B.jpeg 6482B10C-CA53-46FC-BD89-93451197443B.jpeg 29CC7609-9FF3-45B1-8594-C956F209FBBB.jpeg

Test Results
    This is a good performing, ultra-high capacity protected 18650 cell (70mm long) with an accurate current rating but a slightly exaggerated capacity rating. My samples were rewrapped Sanyo NCR18650GA‘s, one of the best performing over-3000mAh 18650’s we can buy. It has a USB port for charging.

This is a protected cell. It has a metal cap containing a protection circuit board pressed onto the positive end of the cell. This increases its length to about 70.0mm. Protected 18650’s that are 65mm long are available but they use 18490/18500 cells and have low capacity and low current ratings.

The added metal cap has a Micro-B USB charging port but this cell can be charged using a standard round cell charger too. The USB port draws about 0.7A-0.75A and will charge the cell at about that same level. If using a round cell charger then do not go over a 1A charge rate. The charge circuit did not get too hot during use.

The USB connector fits well in its cutout (minimizing strain on the soldered connections) but do not insert or tug on the cable roughly as that might eventually loosen the metal cap from the cell. No loosening occurred during any testing I did though.

This cell uses a self-adhesive wrap that should result in less additional tearing of the wrap if it is damaged. It is as thin as a regular wrap though.

Vapcell spot-welded on a layer of sheet metal to the bottom of the cell to give the cell additional protection from denting.

The P1835A is accurately rated at 10A by Vapcell, the same rating as the NCR18650GA they rewrap. The protection circuit did not activate when discharged at 10A continuously but did eventually activate when discharged at 15A continuously. I needed to disconnect the battery from my test rig for it to reset and be ready to use again. Depending on the device you use you might also have to remove it to reset it if you draw too much current from it.

When discharged at 10A continuous the P1835A shut down when the voltage dropped to about 2.38V. This is not too low as the voltage will instantly bounce back up in the cell to over 2.5V once the current flow stops. Because the protection circuit disconnects the cell you will only measure about 0.04V on the two terminals though. You will not see the cell’s actual voltage until the protection circuit resets.

Removing the cell from my test rig after overdischarging did not reset it. Placing it in an Opus BT-C3400 or Gyrfalcon Al-88 charger did not reset it. The chargers just said it was a zero volt battery and would not start charging. Other round cell chargers might be able to charge this cell after the protection circuit has tripped though.

I needed to start a charge using the USB port to reset the protection circuit and then I could put it in a standard round cell charger or just leave it to charge via the USB port. An LED lights up red when charging via USB and green when charging is done.

The capacity of the two cells I tested was 3445mAh and 3529mAh. This is terrible consistency for cells from a major manufacturer but typical for a cell from one of the smaller China factories. These are Sanyo rewraps though and should have had capacities very close to each other. I am wondering if component tolerances in the protection circuitry causes this added inconsistency?

The Sanyo NCR18650GA has a minimum capacity rating of 3350mAh and a typical rating of 3450mAh. Because of this the P1835A does not meet Vapcell’s 3500mAh rating and I am rating it at 3400mAh. Vapcell, you knew that the cell you wrap is not 3500mAh.

This is a great cell for low power levels, up to about 20W or so (30W max), where a protected cell is desired. The P1835A’s longer length means it cannot fit in a lot of devices but where it can be used you get a good cell that has protection and a USB port for charging too. This means you would only need a small USB charging adapter and cable for charging and not a larger round cell charger.

Two cells were donated for the purposes of testing by Vapcell (Vapcell batteries, chargers, vape batteries). Thank you!

Continuous Current Discharge Graphs
    6988B03C-8C44-4DE1-A959-07B5E8619640.jpeg

Ratings and Performance Specs Graphic
    C4C162DB-32CA-4757-8FEA-5B0475347F83.jpeg

I want to work for the vaping community full time! If you feel what I do is worth a couple dollars a month and you would like early access to battery availability, battery and charger testing and news, and a say in what I test, then please consider becoming a patron and supporting my testing efforts: Battery Mooch is creating battery tests and educating vapers | Patreon.

To see how other cells have tested check out this link: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

badinfluence357

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 17, 2012
    NYC
    Has anyone in the battery safty team tested the 18350 deworld batteries? They advertise power for high drain use. After looking at the battery I noticed protection on it..As far as i know protected batteries dont work to well for vaping..Havent tried them out yet, Im looking for feedback before I do.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: dwcraig1

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Has anyone in the battery safty team tested the 18350 deworld batteries? They advertise power for high drain use. After looking at the battery I noticed protection on it..As far as i know protected batteries dont work to well for vaping..Havent tried them out yet, Im looking for feedback before I do.

I haven’t tested them but those batteries could be a lot longer than a standard 18350 and not fit in your device. Check to be sure.

• Informative
    Reactions: dwcraig1

badinfluence357

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 17, 2012
    NYC
    I haven’t tested them but those batteries could be a lot longer than a standard 18350 and not fit in your device. Check to be sure.
    You are absolutely right, the person selling them as hidrain batts never specified protected. I kind of felt they warent going to work for vaping as i made this mistake 9yrs ago when i first started vaping... The funny part is they advertised for vaping, thats not cool..Im going to keep them and see if i can buy a tactical flashlight for my....

Pamawoman

Too Blessed To Stress
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 14, 2012
    Orlando
    I haven't been on the forum in a long time but I am desperately trying to find replacement AW 18350's for my Pro Varis. They are the only thing I vape with and apparently the AWs are no longer made? I am looking for 18350 800mAh 3.7 button tops. I found some on Liion wholesale but Mooch's test results say poor. They actually have his tests link on the listing. But if I have to are they a good alternative? I saw some on EBay but they are probably no good. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I haven't been on the forum in a long time but I am desperately trying to find replacement AW 18350's for my Pro Varis. They are the only thing I vape with and apparently the AWs are no longer made? I am looking for 18350 800mAh 3.7 button tops. I found some on Liion wholesale but Mooch's test results say poor. They actually have his tests link on the listing. But if I have to are they a good alternative? I saw some on EBay but they are probably no good. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

I recommend not buying unknown batteries on eBay.
    If Liion Wholesale says those Imren 18350’s are decent performers at 3A, about 10W, or lower then you can try them out if you vape at that power level (or lower). Your options for button top 18350’s are very limited unfortunately.

Does www.orbtronic.com have any?

Pamawoman

Too Blessed To Stress
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 14, 2012
    Orlando
    I recommend not buying unknown batteries on eBay.
    If Liion Wholesale says those Imren 18350’s are decent performers at 3A, about 10W, or lower then you can try them out if you vape at that power level (or lower). Your options for button top 18350’s are very limited unfortunately.

Does www.orbtronic.com have any?
    I vape at 5 Watts. Always have. It is what works for me. So those should work. I will check out orbtronic also. Thank you for the info and I will be sure to give you a tip for your tip. THANKS!

Pamawoman

Too Blessed To Stress
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 14, 2012
    Orlando
    I want to work for the vaping community full time! If you feel what I do is worth a couple dollars a month and you would like early access to battery availability, battery and charger testing and news, and a say in what I test, then please consider becoming a patron and supporting my testing efforts: Battery Mooch is creating battery tests and educating vapers | Patreon.

Do you have a Paypal or something for one time donations?

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread