Best batteries for sub-ohm vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinchX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2012
Texas
So first let me explain that the whole sub-ohming thing is going to be new to me. I had intended to try it much earlier and purchased a kayfun clone but just like with every rebuildable I've purchased over the years, my hands are just not steady enough for building coils. They tremble constantly with random spasms and I simply can't work with rebuildables regardless of what tools I buy to assist in making the coils.

That being said, for a while now I've been using the Aspire Nautilis with the BVCs and a Kanger Aerotank Mega.

With as much as I enjoy both, I noticed Aspire's new Atlantis tank, which uses factory stock BVCs with 0.5ohm ratings. The tank has drawbacks of course, such as its pathetic 2ml fill capacity, but I see this as probably being my only option to try sub-ohming, at least for a while.

So I'm planning on purchasing the tank soon (once the coils are readily available) and rather than just run off and spend $200+ on a device, I'm planning on just picking up a Sigelei 50w, unless of course anyone knows of a device with similar power that they'd recommend instead of that one which isn't insanely priced.

So basically, three quick questions here. If anyone has a better suggestion than the Sigelei for around the same price, possibly a bit more, I'm open to hearing them. Then obviously, what would be your thoughts on a suggested range in wattage for that 0.5ohm coil? And then as the topic asks, what are the best batteries, in your opinion, for use when you're sub-ohming and pulling more power than usual??

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
So first let me explain that the whole sub-ohming thing is going to be new to me. I had intended to try it much earlier and purchased a kayfun clone but just like with every rebuildable I've purchased over the years, my hands are just not steady enough for building coils. They tremble constantly with random spasms and I simply can't work with rebuildables regardless of what tools I buy to assist in making the coils.

That being said, for a while now I've been using the Aspire Nautilis with the BVCs and a Kanger Aerotank Mega.

With as much as I enjoy both, I noticed Aspire's new Atlantis tank, which uses factory stock BVCs with 0.5ohm ratings. The tank has drawbacks of course, such as its pathetic 2ml fill capacity, but I see this as probably being my only option to try sub-ohming, at least for a while.

So I'm planning on purchasing the tank soon (once the coils are readily available) and rather than just run off and spend $200+ on a device, I'm planning on just picking up a Sigelei 50w, unless of course anyone knows of a device with similar power that they'd recommend instead of that one which isn't insanely priced.

So basically, three quick questions here. If anyone has a better suggestion than the Sigelei for around the same price, possibly a bit more, I'm open to hearing them. Then obviously, what would be your thoughts on a suggested range in wattage for that 0.5ohm coil? And then as the topic asks, what are the best batteries, in your opinion, for use when you're sub-ohming and pulling more power than usual??

The Atlantis tank is advertised to handle 20-30 watts well. It doesn't matter what the resistance is, if you're setting watts that's all that counts for the battery. A 20 amp battery will handle 30 watts just fine. If you go with a 50 watt device I would suggest you use 30 amp batts because at 50 watts you can go over 20A.

With a mechanical mod your watts and battery amp draw are determined by the atty resistance and the battery voltage, so Ohm's law prevails :)

BigCatDaddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Near Austin, Texas
If you can find them, the Sony VTC 4's and 5's are the best, IMHO. In lieu of those, I've been running some Panasonic LG's that do the trick. I'm hearing really good things about the Samsung INR18650-25R but haven't tried them yet.
I would go ahead and spring for the Sig 100w box. Nice rig!!
I'm running the Atlantis at 35W right now on the stock coil. I intend to try a rebuild this morning and might adjust to a different wattage thereafter, depends on where the new build comes in.

dj666

Nov 9, 2014
Cheshire. England

Purple Efest 30amp. 2100mAh. 30 amp continuous (60amp can last for 75 seconds)
Do not get the 35amp ones.
I sub ohm on these at less than 0.1ohm, and I still have a face. :D

Don Robertson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Queries are often made - I found I like BADITUDES recommendations. While his activity has diminished due to personal issues his recommendation are still available.

VIA ECF discussion you will find his recommendations:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/apv-discussion/497552-best-battery-smoketek-magneto.html <----- NOT limited to the 'Magneto'. It was a members query.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-9-battery-basics-mods-imr-protected-icr.html

Others may have different ideas as to "best", but I find these helpful.

Senile Old Man Donnie

FinchX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2012
Texas
Thanks everyone, highly beneficial and also thanks for the link to that tool.

I just asked this as a secondary question in another thread I started, though I believe some of you could help me out as well.

I posted asking about 50w or higher tube mods, because after hours of searching, I'd only found a couple, neither of which I was overly impressed by (and I don't see how they even think the Cloupor T5 is a "tube" mod... thing is huge). Anyway, as I was kind of expecting but I suppose didn't want to hear, the box mods are more common for higher wattages because they can store multiple batteries.

So my problem is that I highly dislike the idea of having to unscrew a compartment or battery door every time I need to change out my batteries. So I'm just wondering, several of you are obviously using higher watt devices, on average.. about how long is the life on them?

Because if (like with my current standard mods) a battery, or pair of batteries is going to last all day or possibly longer, then I wouldn't have as much a problem having to get that panel off to replace the batteries. But I chain vape, and if I'm going to be doing that 2-3 times a day I really need to look into what I can do to keep that from being such a pain. Like getting two box mods that offer a usb charging port and just swapping them out as one dies. Any suggestions??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread