Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Apparently, Matt from Suck My mod has been getting grief over the latest rda he's credited with designing.
Capture+_2018-09-03-07-49-28.png
Meanwhile, I'm rereading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows which has a similar symbol :thumbs:

This is a single coil RDA using an offset T-clamp and side-to-the-bottom-ish airflow. It appears the have a monstrously deep juice well.

Think I'll check it out...

https://www.heavengifts.com/product/Blitz-Hermetic-RDA.html

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Some people dig too deep into a product. Sometimes a symbol really don't mean much, and is just there to look good or to set a theme.

While the symbol doesn't bother me, I wasn't a fan of that post system when I tried it in the ghoul, so I'm not going to be any more impressed this time around.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Wondering why?
The biggest reason for me is single coil RDA. I'm just not a single coil person but I enjoy reading opinions. I wish I would but I just don't like single coil. Please post a review when you get it. I always appreciate an honest review.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I'm thinking a parallel coil might work real well in that.
When I tried a parallel build in the ghoul (same posts) there was always one lead loose and not making good connection. Claptons, twisted, and single round wire worked well with that style clamp though.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
The Hermetic RDA arrived today. Yay!

Quick rinse, and dry, and installed a single fused clapton (Ni80 26x2/36, 3.5mm, 0.44Ω) and planted it atop my Tesla Invader 3. Thought I'd try a little Drip Code 55 (banana smoothie) in it.
20180907_224142.jpg
20180907_224225.jpg
20180907_224210.jpg
20180907_224332.jpg

Building it was pretty easy, but I wish there were little tabs on the ends to prevent the leads from sliding out.

Wicking is dead simple.
20180907_224239.jpg
The airflow is definitely DL, but restricted... not turbulent or particularly noisy. I happen to have the original Wotofo Serpent RTA on my Smok Treebox sitting next to me on my desk, and the air is very similar.

Flavor is spot on.

I find that if I tip it a little and drip down the sides, I can get quite a bit into the top with no leaking, flooding or gurgling. I was worried about the chance of filling the airflow with liquid when dripping, but the tilt has prevented that from happening. Still, I think this is designed to be a squonk atty first (even though it comes with a standard pin installed).

All told, I'm liking it thus far...

I'll post more as my time with it continues...
20180907_224423.jpg

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
Picked up a black one from VaporDNA for $5 (with $25 additional purchase) with their weekend promotion. I'm mostly a dual coil guy, and avoid bottom-airflow RDA's because every one I've tried leaks. But the design of the airflow – downward slope plus drain holes recirculating juice back into the well – definitely looks like it will prevent any leaks unless you ridiculously overfill it to the amount where it would leak even if it was side-airflow.

For $5 it was definitely a no-brainer. I'll post my thoughts when it arrives in a few days.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Apparently, Matt from Suck My Mod has been getting grief over the latest RDA he's credited with designing.
View attachment 764411
Meanwhile, I'm rereading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows which has a similar symbol :thumbs:

This is a single coil RDA using an offset T-clamp and side-to-the-bottom-ish airflow. It appears the have a monstrously deep juice well.

Think I'll check it out...

https://www.heavengifts.com/product/Blitz-Hermetic-RDA.html
It didn't particularly impress me. I'll go watch the vid again!

Reactions: Shawn Hoefer

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
My Hermetic RDA arrived this morning. I quickly built and mounted a 3 mm twisted 24 gauge nichrome coil. It was stupid simple to mount, and the coil placement was perfect without having to adjust it up or down. But if you do want to move the coil, the semi-circular cutouts on the sides make it easy to slip a rod through.

This is my first RDA with a ceramic clamp. I am a bit concerned about this since ceramic is brittle, but the clamp is quite beefy, and there is a spare clamp included with the RDA.

Due to this being a 22 mm RDA, and the "bridged airflow" channel taking up a fairly large portion of the drip well, tucking the wicks for the 3 mm coil (actually around 3.25 mm since twisted wire is pretty springy) was a bit difficult. People who just shove their wick tails down into the well won't have any issues, but if you're like me and prefer to actually tuck the wick tails down underneath the coil then push them outwards to the edge of the deck, this design makes doing so a little tricky. I think I'll be going with 2.5 mm coils on this RDA in the future to make this easier.

Amazingly, this thing really is leak resistant! Even if you dump in enough juice to fill the bottom airflow channel, it still won't leak unless you tilt the RDA enough for the juice to travel up the "ramp" to exit the top cap. Basically, instead of juice leaking everywhere if you overfill even a tiny bit, you just get some gurgling for the first hit or two (until the "exit" holes on the top of the airflow channel get fully uncovered). Of course, it is still possible to make it leak if you grossly over-drip – as in enough which would make even a side-airflow RDA leak out the air holes.

The main drawback is the fairly small juice well. Yes, it is pretty deep, but the 22 mm diameter, combined with the large airflow channel, means it doesn't really hold that much juice. Vaping my 24 gauge twisted build at 70 watts, I only get around 5 hits before needing to re-drip. But the fact that you can just dump juice down through the drip tip without worrying about leaking minimizes this shortcoming. Going down to a 2.5 mm coil will also help, since the wick tails of my ~3.25 mm coil fill up most of the well. A 2.5 mm coil's wick tails will leave more room for juice.

The airflow is smooth. I've been running it wide open, which gives a nice restricted lung hit. It's just right for single-coil builds in the 50-80 watt range. There isn't enough airflow to handle builds requiring more power, but most of the single-coil builds I use are right in that 50-80 watt range. I'm sure those who vape at lower power levels will also be fine – the airflow is still smooth, quiet, and non-turbulent when closed down.

Flavor is very good, just as expected.

Granted, I've only been using it for a few hours, but so far I'm quite impressed. I've tried several bottom-airflow RDA's in the past, but all of them leaked to some degree. They now sit unused. Even when I get the urge to give one of them another go, my enthusiasm quickly disappears due to the leaking. That's why when browsing new RDA's released by the various companies, if it was bottom-airflow, I didn't consider it at all, even if I liked everything else about it. My experience with bottom-airflow RDA's has been that bad.

But the Hermetic is different. It is the first bottom-airflow RDA which can honestly be advertised as leak-resistant. It really is just as resistant to leaking as a standard side-airflow RDA.

I definitely would have preferred it to be a 24 mm RDA. Making this design leak-resistant requires a lot of space to be taken up by the airflow system, so even though the juice well is quite deep, its capacity leaves much to be desired. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that a dual-coil version is in the works, and that it would be a 24 mm RDA. But I think it would suffer from the same capacity issue. A 24 mm single-coil version and a 25.5 or 26 mm dual-coil version would get around this.

Would I have paid full price ($30) for the Hermetic RDA? Without knowing what I now know – that this actually is a bottom-airflow RDA which doesn't leak – no, I wouldn't have. But if mine gets lost or broken, or if a dual-coil version is released, then yes, I definitely would buy it at full price.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
The clamps may seem brittle, but with my ghoul, which has the exact same ceramic block, after i decided I didn't like it I tried to test the strength of those blocks by trying to over torque the clamp screw. I feel I would have stripped the screw head first honestly, it took a lot of force and showed no signs of chips, cracks, or flaking. They are pretty tough.

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
Sounds like it will be good for squonking.

It probably would. I've not jumped on the squonk train, because I change flavors far too often. It's rare for me to vape more than 1 mL of a particular juice before switching to something else, and for the few times I ever want to, I have a couple of RTAs that I can use.

In the announcement video from Suck My Mod, he demonstrates it used with a squonker, and it looks mighty convenient. Squeeze enough juice until you see it start to rise up the "ramp" in the airflow hole, let go, and it will suck back just the right amount of juice to leave the juice well full.

• Agree
Reactions: puffon

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
The clamps may seem brittle, but with my ghoul, which has the exact same ceramic block, after i decided I didn't like it I tried to test the strength of those blocks by trying to over torque the clamp screw. I feel I would have stripped the screw head first honestly, it took a lot of force and showed no signs of chips, cracks, or flaking. They are pretty tough.

Awesome. I'm glad to hear that it should hold up pretty well. Thanks!

Reactions: Zaryk

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
Update: After a full day of use, with a bit over 20 mL of juice run through the Hermetic, removing the RDA showed absolutely zero leaking whatsoever. Not even a single drop of juice was on the mod near the 510 connector. The claim of a "leak resistant" bottom airflow RDA is (for once) actually genuine.

Last edited:
Reactions: bsidb

Madd Hatter

Verified Member
Aug 20, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Used this RDA for a couple of days now on a pulse 80 squonker and really liking it so far. Looks well built and the beauty ring is a nice touch. I like the tighter draw and super simple to build. When squonking just like review videos have said you can watch your juice through the air slot which is good because wouldn't be hard to over squonk. It takes maybe half a press before seeing juice. Was a little gurgly at first but probably just me squonking too much. All in all, I happy with the purchase so far.

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
Was a little gurgly at first but probably just me squonking too much.

Correct. The gurgling for the first draw or two after dripping/squonking happens when you put in too much juice. The airflow channel gets full of juice that can't drain out into the well until enough can be vaporized to empty the channel.

It's also worth mentioning that in any other bottom-airflow RDA, overfilling to the same point will usually result in a leaky mess with juice pouring out the air hole(s). With the Hermetic, you only get some gurgling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread