Bought my first Mech today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krunch521

Jan 10, 2014
Columbus, OH
my rig.jpg

Bought my first Mech and rebuildable today!

Got a sigelei K100 and a Phoenix v10 dripper, 18650 2000mAh battery. A good place to start I think.

Any newbie tips or things I should/shouldn't do? The clerk took 45 minutes walking me through the first dual coil build, like 1.5 ohms (A 5-6 wrap 32 gauge, store policy not to sub-ohm). I have some 28 gauge and some organic cotton. He recommended doing a 28 ga. 5-6 wrap on a 5/16ths bit to get it at like .5-.6 ohms. Any tips would be rad.

By the way. If you live in Columbus Ohio and you want some very helpful and knowledgable walkthroughs, talk to the people at AltSmoke on N High St. Luke could not have been more helpful and made sure I knew how to use my setup safely and effectively, especially concerning battery safety.

Last edited:

Krunch521

Jan 10, 2014
Columbus, OH
Brand of batteries would help us provide advice. Most 2000mAh 18650 have around a 10amp discharge rate. Some are higher, like EH (16amp I believe). In that case, I wouldn't go below .65 ohms for a 10amp battery.

Photo on 1-16-14 at 10.17 PM.jpg

That's the only text on the battery. I find it hard to believe that he would recommend a build and send me on my way without the supplies to do it. I'm in his store at least once a week.

Is AW the brand? I think it is referred to as a AW IMR 18650 2000mAh. At least it is on performance charts. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/apv-discussion/302738-aw-18650-batteries-really-not-best.html

Last edited:

Dzaw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
New Hampshire
AW is a brand, but not a manufacturer - what they do is buy batteries built to a certain spec by other manufacturers and test them. The ones that meet a certain standard of performance in testing are then worthy of the AW brand name and are resold at a premium.

The AW 2000 mAh batt is capable of safely firing down to a 0.7 ohm coil. Tey also have a 1600mAh that can go much lower.

Check out the following thread for the skinny on battery safety:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...cussion/496926-new-sub-ohm-battery-chart.html

Dzaw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
New Hampshire
Do you have an ohm checker or multimeter? This is not optional equipment for rebuildable attys on mech mods.

I hate to sound like an old fuddy duddy, but you don't want a battery going thermal even once. Trust me.

If you have a decent way to check the resistance on your builds, then you can keep your coils @ 0.7 or higher and vape happily (personally, I'd run around a 0.8-1.0 coil with those batts, for an extra margin, but technically, they can handle 0.7).

Nothing at all wrong with a 0.8 ohm coil on an AW 18650 2000mAh. Quite the fog machine in its own right - you don't need to go super low to get a great vape.

That is, of course, presuming your vendor got legit batts. There's a LOT of counterfeit 18650's running around, and AW is the most commonly counterfeited battery. I don't know how to tell, other than to be sure I buy from a trusted source like RTD Vapor, Orbtronic, or Congrevape.

Congratulations on the new mod. For me, collecting them has almost become a hobby. I've purchased nine in the past six months and I'm using them with a variety of tanks, including RDA's, RBA's and Protanks. My advice is that as you get into coil building, an ohm meter is a good investment. The Sony 18650 VTC4 seems to be a good all around battery.

Krunch521

Jan 10, 2014
Columbus, OH
Ok so I built some 28g coils (5-6 wrap on a 5/16ths bit) and took it in to get tested. I'm at .56 Ohms.

I guess I am on the low side of safe with my pair of AW IMR 18650 2000mAhs. The B&M guy told me I'd be fine with that for now, but absolutely no lower without switching batteries.

So, I built by first atomizer, and it hits like a mac truck and juice has never tasted better (About to try some 6mg Frankenvape) So yay, go me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread