Bought my first RBA (Smok RSST) and having nothing but issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

all4spl

Verified Member
Jul 4, 2013
Orlando, FL
So after having to buy coils over and over I decided to try an rba, and since most of the recommendations for your first RBA that I got was to get an RSST, that's what I did. That being said, I watched a TON of videos on how to build coils, had the person at the shop show me their way to build one etc etc etc. And no matter how I build it, I can get it no lower than like .8ohms which I am ok with, what I am NOT ok with is all I get after two pulls is BURNT BURNT BURNT.

For reference I am using a K101, with the RSST, and a Efest 2000mah 18650 with short circuit chip on the bottom of it (this comes with the K101). The wick I was sold is 3mm I am using around 2inch - 3inch long piece of that, with around a 1inch piece of wire in which they sold me 30gauge wire. To get the ohm load I want it's approximately 2 wraps, and the liquid I am using is Mr E Liquid 50/50.

So what am I doing wrong or am I just too stupid to use an RBA?

all4spl

Verified Member
Jul 4, 2013
Orlando, FL
What is SS rope? What I have is Ekowool that I boiled for 20mins then I torch it before I use it. Here is a pic of my current wrap which is .99 ohms.

rsst.jpg

Cuando

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2009
Living in a box of CelluCotton
Keep at it, is all I can say. The RSST can be a finicky thing. Be sure to remember to tilt your mod so the juice climbs the wick. It's just part of the RSST/Genesis design. I have been using cotton in mine running from inside the tank, through the coil, and into the fill hole (stored the plug away). This has been working the best for me, but still requires a tilt or for me to lay it on it's side.

Good luck, don't despair. Just takes time and patience and maybe a tiny bit of luck. When you get it running nicely you will be very happy with it, I think.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
Just for clarity, hot spots are when one part of the wire gets hot (red) and the rest or parts of the rest stays normal correct?

Hot spots are when part of the coil gets hotter than the rest. If it's got juice then you may see the spot light up if it's bad enough but not always. The best way to check for hot spots is to fire it dry until the coil starts to glow, it should glow evenly and where the legs connect to - and + should not be glowing. If you have one spot brighter or a leg lit then stop before you pop the coil, adjust it and try again. Oh, and don't try firing it dry if you use cotton but you probably already know this.

Judging from your pic I would suggest more wraps and forget sub ohming with 30ga. 4 wraps of 30ga gets me 1.4-1.5ish on the RSST and a good vape, with silica just wrap it tight enough the wire is touching the wick evenly, you don't want to strangle it. Also you don't want wick stopping up the wick hole, it should slide up and down easily with a little room left. If the wick is to thick just remove a strand until you get where you need to be. If you want to go with a sub ohm coil pick up some 28ga, easier to get good coverage with it.

Just checked out your pic again, try removing the fill plug also.

Last edited:

williebb123

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2010
Mount Shasta California
ive been using a ss mesh/cotton hybrid wick for the past 6mo. it gives more flavor and for nubes less chance for hot spots , dont have to tilt if anything i turn the wick to the top or away from me but i also dont use the plug it keeps it from wicking , just roll up some mesh and put a very very thin layer of cotton on top like a Qtip and i use a 4/3 wrap of 28ga which puts it at .9 ohms , ive also used the ss cable with a small piece of mesh on top and that works well too but i still get more flavor with the hybrid wick been jumping back and forth for a year now on these two set ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread