Brand new member - brand new to vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbo71

Aug 1, 2018
Penrith, NSW
Hi guys...thanks for having me :)
Hoping to gain some knowledge and assistance ...currently pack a day smoker of 12mg, recently purchased one of these...eleaf Pico S 100W Starter Kit • w/ 6.5ml Ello Vate mesh tank and 21700 battery , using 12mg juice and have the unit set on 35w. Haven't adjusted any other settings straight out of the box. Vapour is very harsh and hot on the throat....I guess there is a lot I need to learn on the setup but looking to at least start enjoying the unit...just unuseable at the moment.
Could I please grab some tips on what I might need to change ?
Very much appreciated thanks !

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hoping to gain some knowledge and assistance ...currently pack a day smoker of 12mg, recently purchased one of these...Eleaf Pico S 100W Starter Kit • w/ 6.5ml Ello Vate mesh tank and 21700 battery , using 12mg juice and have the unit set on 35w. Haven't adjusted any other settings straight out of the box. Vapour is very harsh and hot on the throat....I guess there is a lot I need to learn on the setup but looking to at least start enjoying the unit...just unuseable at the moment.
Hi and welcome,
12mg/ml is VERY strong for that device.
I suggest 6mg/ml or lower to remove some of the harshness.
If you NEED the extra kick from a high nicotine liquid, you should investigate "salts" based liquids. They tend to be smooth with little to no harshness at high nic content levels.

HTH
Cheers
I

ETA: Please add you LOCATION to your profile.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Thanks for the info Izan appreciate that.....should I adjust anything else on the device do you recommend ?
Is there any method to "dilute" the 12mg juice that I have ?

PS - Location added to profile
Yes you can dilute your 12mg but you'd need the same liquid in a lower dosage (there's a method to calculate but i've got no idea about this unfortunately)

What i wonder is what's the resistance or 0hms of the atomiser you're using, could be that's the reason why the vapor is so hot (harshness is more than likely the mgs in the liquid)

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
Did you prime the coil when you installed, or first time used? When you say there is not much vapor, what are you comparing to? This tank will make substantial vapor. With the airflow more open on the tank and the wattage high. However, 12 mg/ml is too high for a subohm tank, as stated above, and if it is too hot at 35 watts, you can turn it down. Try opening up the airflow on the tank first, as this will cool the vape some, as well as making more vapor. With that amount of nicotine, you probably will start feeling sick aftr not too many hits. Get some 3mg juice of the same flavor, and if you find it not enough nic, you can mix the two to go higher.

• Useful

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
So can I do anything to reduce the hot vapour or that is just Hao it is with this device ?
I also note there is not much vapour / cloud on exhale ?
R,
If you are drawing slowly and gently, your vapor will be hot and unproductive.

Miminc the draw strength and speed of the bloke in the videos. Note the wattage being used.

You can NOT draw on that device like a cigarette. It requires a strong, full DTL inhale.

Cheers
I

• Useful

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
Appreciate the help guys
- I did place a small amount of juice on the padding as per the instructions but how do I prime the coil ?
Next step for me is to grab some 3mg juice as recommended and I’ll watch that video also
Thanks again :)
Robbo, watch the video, and give it a try, with more airflow and the wattage up, like Izan said, but don't try to take many hits until you know how the nicotine will affect you. 12mg at that power is some strong hits... Putting the juice on the cotton in the coil IS priming it. Just wanted to make sure your harshness was not from a juice starved coil...

robbo71

Aug 1, 2018
Penrith, NSW
guys I found some non nic juice - emptied my tank - added the non nic and a touch of 12mg then used the draw method and wattage from the video above...wow fantastic, good throat hit...not harsh and good temp, plenty of vapour on exhale. I think the biggest problem was trying to use it like a cigarette after smoking for so long.
Thanks again for all the input - on the right track now I reckon...….!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I did place a small amount of juice on the padding as per the instructions but how do I prime the coil?
This video shows how to "prime" a coil and "break in" a new coil in a tank. The tank is different from the one you have, but the principles demonstrated are viable for any tank.

guys I found some non nic juice - emptied my tank - added the non nic and a touch of 12mg then used the draw method and wattage from the video above...wow fantastic, good throat hit...not harsh and good temp, plenty of vapour on exhale. I think the biggest problem was trying to use it like a cigarette after smoking for so long.
There are two types of juice delivery attachments or tanks, depending upon the type of "draw" they require.

MTL (mouth to lung) is a more restricted or tighter draw, more akin to smoking a cigarette. These tanks generally use a higher coil resistance (above 1.0 ohm) and lower wattage (less than 20 watts). Usually recommended for new vapers.

DTL (direct to lung) is a looser wide open draw. These tanks generally are sub-ohm (less than 1.0 ohm) and require higher wattages (more than 20 watts). These tanks produce larger volumes of vapor and are usually adopted by more advanced vapers. Sub-ohm vaping usually requires less nicotine because of the larger volume of vapor produced (but often consumes more e-liquid in the process).

Last edited:
  • Useful

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I answered on your other thread, but you are getting good advice here too. I showed up at ECF with 12 mg/ml in a very sub0hm device and I think my question was, "Do I have enough nic I feel so weird?" LOL, glad the strategy of lower nic is working for you, and you will probably enjoy that device more if you are able to use it at higher wattage and get more flavorful, useful vape.

At some point you may want to try a tank with much higher resistance coils and designed for high nic, but if you are satisfied so far, that day doesn't need to be today or really ever, unless you find yourself in need of a more stealth oriented device. Most folks fall in either low nic, high wattage vaping or the opposite, generally but there are plenty of vapers who like both sorts of vaping for various reasons.

But mainly congrats on getting your first setup working well for you that's great and welcome to ECF.

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: Izan

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hoping to gain some knowledge and assistance ...currently pack a day smoker of 12mg, recently purchased one of these...Eleaf Pico S 100W Starter Kit • w/ 6.5ml Ello Vate mesh tank and 21700 battery , using 12mg juice and have the unit set on 35w. Haven't adjusted any other settings straight out of the box. Vapour is very harsh and hot on the throat....I guess there is a lot I need to learn on the setup but looking to at least start enjoying the unit...just unuseable at the moment.
Welcome and glad you joined.
Happy you filled in your location, If you read the information within the site below, you may get good local information.
Vaping Blogs. Information for smokers and those new to vaping

• Useful

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Its a good feeling to get everything dialed in correctly, huh? Next juice you get, go for 3 to 6mg. Anything higher than 6mg at sub ohm resistance will be hot and harsh. I made a batch with 9mg just to see what would happen. Ive been vaping a while and at 6mg. The 9mg was kinda hot but eventually i adjusted to it. But im back on 6 again.

stara03

Jul 21, 2018
I’m just curious (and new to this myself so forgive me if I sound uninformed) but are you direct lung inhaling or mouth to lung inhaling? Mouth to lung is typically what cigarette smokers do. I just ask because it sounds like you are coming off cigarettes and in my very limited experience, mouth to lung vaping might be a better vaping starting point to help transition away from cigarettes. Just a thought although it sounds like you may already be on the right track.

• Useful
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread