Brand new to E-Cigs - looking to make my first purchase and need some advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob79

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2012
Canada
First, thanks for clicking on my post :).

Okay, so I'm a pack+/day smoker and ecigs have been on my radar for a little while now. I really want to quit smoking cigs for health reasons, but the problem is I actually enjoy smoking for the most part. No, I don't enjoy smelling like an ashtray, or waking up coughing in the morning, but I'm sure a lot of smokers/ex-smokers will know what I mean.

I'm looking to buy a starter kit. I've asked around in a few different places, and many people say that I should go with a 510 kit since it will allow me to "upgrade" things in the future without having to buy new batteries. That's about as far as my knowledge goes so far :).

I'll cut to the chase, and just say what I'm looking for and if anyone can give me any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

This is what I want:

• A sub-$100 kit that includes at least 2 batteries
  • Something I can order in Canada (not necessarily from a Canadian company, but that ships here without hassle)
  • Something I can refill with e-liquids I order online (so I guess a tank version rather than a cartridge version)
  • Something that I can buy a PCC for in the future if I stick with it
  • Most importantly, something that closely mimics the size/shape of a regular cigarette, since I want to quit those dirty things

So yeah, that's it. I've been looking around here for a few hours and it seems like everyone has their own opinion on all of these topics, so I'd just like to hear from some of you regarding your own experiences transitioning from regular cigarettes to an ecig. Also, bonus points to anyone who can tell me the easiest way to order e-liquid in Canada via the internet :).

Thanks for reading and have a good one!

LKnives

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2012
Madison, WI
www.twitch.tv
Well, if you want to put away what everyone you heard say about starting with a 510 (Seriously, you can get an adapter cheap, so everything works with everything in the E-cig world) then I would really recommend a Volt from Smokeless Image | Only The Best Electronic Cigarette | Electronic Cigarettes | Wholesale Electronic Cigarettes | E-Cigarette | Best Electronic Cigarette | Electronic Cigarette. The basic starting set is only 20 bucks and comes with everything you need for your first vap. They also have the bonus of a record of good quality and everything they sell is very reasonable in the price department.

If you are willing to spend a little more there than you can get a little more. They also sell the ce3 clearomizer and those are pretty easy to refill, although it's not that difficult to refill your own cartridge/cartomizer.

I myself just quit cigarettes and am starting with the basic Volt battery and a handful of cartos. For me it wasn't too bad to transition from cigarettes to my E-cig but I had only been smoking for 4-5 years prior to that so I dropped them pretty easily.

Last edited:

rob79

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2012
Canada
Awesome. The Volt was the first one that caught my eye when I started looking around. I saw a couple of reviews on youtube and it seemed like a really good choice considering it's size (and that I can get a PCC for it). The thing is, and please correct me if I'm wrong on this, the Volt uses cartridges and can't be refilled with e-liquid, correct? I know some cartridges are refillable, but I've got the impression that a "tank" version is better if you want to buy e-liquid online and just dump it in. So yeah, my noob colours are showing :). Thanks for the reply - I didn't know about adapters until just now!

Well, if you want to put away what everyone you heard say about starting with a 510 (Seriously, you can get an adapter cheap, so everything works with everything in the E-cig world) then I would really recommend a Volt from Smokeless Image | Only The Best Electronic Cigarette | Electronic Cigarettes | Wholesale Electronic Cigarettes | E-Cigarette | Best Electronic Cigarette | Electronic Cigarette. The basic starting set is only 20 bucks and comes with everything you need for your first vap. They also have the bonus of a record of good quality and everything they sell is very reasonable in the price department.

If you are willing to spend a little more there than you can get a little more. They also sell the ce3 clearomizer and those are pretty easy to refill, although it's not that difficult to refill your own cartridge/cartomizer.

LKnives

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2012
Madison, WI
www.twitch.tv

SquidyTweak

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2012
Omaha
I am just a week into vaping myself. If I were redo my first order again, I would highly suggest ordering varying levels of nic juice. I thought I smoked a lot, so I went with the strongest (24mg) that the site I ordered my device from offered. It turned out too be waaaay to strong for me, and made me sick. Through my first week I wanted to just vape and vape and vape to get through the withdraw period, which resulted in me showing nicotine overdose signs. If I were going to start again, order varying levels to juice to start off with & find out what works best for you!

rob79

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2012
Canada
Solid advice. I'll never forget the first time I tried using the patch to quit smoking... I basically put it on and within a couple of hours lit up and after a few cigs I felt like I was dying - total nicotine poisoning. That's a scary feeling I don't wish to repeat. I plan to order some 18mg e-liquid and a 0mg e-liquid. That way I can put the 18ml on and if I start to feel bad I can put the 0ml on until I feel a craving. I don't know if that's a proven method, but I think it's one that I can work with. Plus, if I order a 0ml I can let my curious non-smoker friends try it once they see it (knowing my friends, this will happen LOL).

I'm still stuck trying to figure out which device to order though. I keep going back to the volt, but I don't really want one that has cotton (or whatever) in the cartridge. I just feel like it would be really inprecise. Even being as new as I am, logically a tank-and-wick device seems to make way more sense. That being said, it seems like most of those ones aren't offered in a cigarette-size form factor. So confusing.

SquidyTweak

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2012
Omaha
From 2 weeks of in depth reading up on devices, I would say a good place to start would be an Ego-Twist with a Vivi nova tank. It would be relatively cheap, and adjustable to different atomizers/cartomizers/whatever. Then once you are ready to move on to another more advanced device, the twist would be a good PV to travel with to bars & such without much worry.

rob79

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2012
Canada
Fair enough. The thing is - the twist doesn't look like a cigarette, more like a cigarillo. For me, the one MUST HAVE item on my list is that the device mimics the shape/size of a regular cigarette as closely as possible. I think I'll end up just biting the bullet and buying a Volt, then moving on to something else once my brain adapts a bit :).

nebulas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2011
Earth
If you absolutely insist on having something that looks and feels the most like a cigarette, then the Volt is pretty much your best option. If you want what people are going to recommend, then it going to be an Ego-T, Ego-C, or Ego-Twist.

Volt Pros
  • Simulates a real smoking experience through its look and feel.
  • Simple to use
  • Can refill the cartos
  • PCC is an option.
  • Auto batteries. (You just take a drag and it activates, doesn't require a button to activate.)
Volt Cons
  • Uses 808 connection.
  • Battery life of 4-5 hours (Its been a long time since I used a Volt so this may not be accurate but I thinks its right in that ballpark)
  • They don't make tanks that fit 808 connections. (I guess you could get a 510 adapter but I have never seen a Volt with a tank on it so I am not so sure it would work)
  • Can't use low resistance cartomizers/atomizers
Ego-T/C/Twist Pros
  • Uses 510 connector
  • Acts as a passthrough (This means you can use your device while its charging)
  • Options of cartos, tanks, clearos, atomizers are endless
  • Longer battery life
Ego-T/C/Twist Cons
  • Manual battery
  • No PCC
  • Is bigger than a conventional cigarette
Ego-Twist Pros
  • You can set the voltage you choose to vape at to dial in the sweet spot.
Summary
Imo, the better option is the Ego style simply because of its longer battery life and flexibility with carto/atty options. It does have the manual battery but it really isn't as bad as it may seem. I remember when I first started I was exactly like you. I wanted something to simulate the smoking experience as much as possible but once you use a manual battery you realize that its not as bad as what you thought. I actually prefer the manuals much much better now. If you are still insistant on having something that looks and feels like the real thing, then I understand because I was the same way and there was no way anyone could have convinced me otherwise.

One big advantage that manuals have over autos is that autos aren't sealed. Meaning there is a hole in the tip of the battery where you connect your cartomizer. Juice can, or will, leak out of your carto sometimes and if it gets in that hole then your battery is ruined and you have to buy a new one. The manual batteries are sealed so this can't happen. However, Smokelessimage does have sealed auto batteries so if this is the way you want to go, then definitely look into their sealed autos.

In the end its up to you. As long as whatever you pick keeps you away from those analogs, you can't lose.:)

Last edited:

rob79

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2012
Canada
Okay, this is pretty much exactly the response I was looking for - thanks so much for taking the time!

I've been looking at tons of reviews for different devices this evening, and I've come to the conclusion that my insistence on finding something the same size as a regular cigarette is very limiting. I've been weighing the pros and cons, and now I'm thinking that it might not be as important as I thought at first. Regarding the auto vs manual thing - I don't really care about that. I mean, if it's in my hand, it's not going to affect the experience too much if I have to press a button. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that a manual is a better option regardless of the form.

As much as I would love to have something the size of a regular cigarette, the fact that if I switch my habit from "analogues" (look at me go, I learned a new term!) to an e-cig then I probably would end up just putting my starter kit to the side and buying something else a month later (I love trying new technology, and I'm bad for always wanting the latest-and-greatest stuff).

My only concern is that if I don't have something close to a regular cigarette in my hands, that I will just keep smoking but add vaping (is that another new term? I'm on a roll!) to my life as a new additional habit.

It's just difficult I guess. In the end, all of the advice I've seen here is going to be taken into account when I order, but I'm still stuck. Thanks for your 2 cents, it's really appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread