Breathing problems and flavours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fyisah

Sep 22, 2017
At first i thought that VG was the culprit behind shortness of breath for me. But after i while i have realized that even if high VG contributes a lot its more about menthol/koolada that i used a lot that was the problem. I also experienced it when vaping cinnamon flavour.

I can't say i know exactly if its menthol or koolada that does it to me because i only have a very strong mixture with both. I still use it but in much lower quantity.

This is not scientific, i am just sharing my experience and the point of this thread is to see if other people was able to resolve their breathing issues by looking at their juices. It may also help someone else that suffers to look at their flavourings. You also should try lowering the VG. It is also a good idea to visit a doctor if the problems persist.

Vchick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NE Ohio
It could be a number of things, some people experience issues with high PG, some with high VG. I have recently discovered that I have silent GERD, no issues of heartburn during the day, but because of the damage at night from the reflux, inflammation in the esophagus can make breathing darn near impossible. Mint, koolada is a trigger for this as well. Cinnamon is also a known culprit to trigger issues as well. Breathing issues can often be mis-diagnosed as copd, etc. So see a gastroenterologist especially if you experience hoarseness, sore throat or coughing on a regular basis.

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
Breathing issues can often be mis-diagnosed as copd, etc. So see a gastroenterologist especially if you experience hoarseness, sore throat or coughing on a regular basis.
That's interesting.
I've been a little bit sensitive to such as dust, air fresheners, etc. for 24 years since moving to our present house (it was very dusty due to lots of new building at the time), but when I first stopped smoking, I found within 3 weeks that I was getting unpleasant breathing problems, in that it felt as though my airway was blocked or twisted, allowing no air in. It turned out to be a PG sensitivity, and when I changed to VG, it went.

I was fairly OK until very early in 2016 when I began getting the problem again. It coincided with me having been in hospital (U. Colitis) and put onto a drug more or less for life to keep it under control. It may be that, it may be my immune system causing yet more problems, but in summer this year, the doctor initially said COPD, and the nurse decided it was more asthma than other problems associated with COPD when she read the readings of a spirometry test. I'm still trying to find a preventer inhaler dose that doesn't give me side effects from the steroid dose.

Reading about your mention of GERD, I do wonder if I could have something similar. I have had rare bouts of heartburn since having colitis, plus I have a hiatus hernia. Sometimes, when eating a food such as rice or chips, I find it doesn't go down properly sometimes, and gets stuck uncomfortably for a short while.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
I've had lots of problems with post nasal drip...sinus drainage. It has a lot of time effected my ability to speak by clogging up my throat. Same as @stols001, I can't do PG, so I'm 100% VG +/- nicotine content. While I found a prescription nose spray which pretty much stopped the drainage dead, I recently switched to unflavored vaping. It seems that has eliminated about 80% of the problem without the nasal spray. Flavorings may be key to some immune system responses.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yep, pollens are up. Hmm... I think that's extremely informative actually (I have finally started developing allergies in Tucson, it usually takes me a decade in whatever place, though I do wonder if the amount I smoked actually masked some of my allergy sx before, as I really always had respiratory things going on). I think this might be useful information to add in the "detoxing from tobacco sx, 1) I genuinely believe smoking may mask or hide some allergies and b) I'd hate to see a new user thinking it was their flavors and or VG/PG mix... I tested my PG allergy out a few times, to be sure that was it, and it definitely was, but I don't think every respiratory issue is due to the ingredients in e-juice.

Probably seeing a doctor in those cases would be your best bet. I'm so glad Flonase exists, it really works fantastic for allergies without making me either sleepy or wired (over the counter) but I'd still maybe go see a doc about it.

Anna

Reactions: Beamslider

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
I try not to inhale too much as it can irritate and give me asthma like breathing problems, and as a result I find with some flavours, I'm forever blowing my nose! One in particular is a chocolate mint one.

I wish there was an over the counter bronchodilator that I could try - the prescription preventer ones have steroid in them, and I get side effects even with small doses. The faster acting one I have is Ventolin, and I seem fine with that.
There used to be some theophylline tablets available, but they stopped the sale of them as they were being misused by slimmers I believe.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I used to smoke menthol cigarettes and I never noticed or connected the menthol to breathing and sleeping problems. I switched over to vaping and used originally VUSE and all they had where I got it was non menthol, breathing got better and I attributed it all to not smoking real cigs.

I then switched to a tank and mod. Got some non menthol and some menthol juice. After a couple days of vaping the menthol I was having breathing and sleeping issues again just not as bad as when I smoked. I then attributed it to the menthol. I switched to the non menthol ejuice and the problem went away in a couple of days.

So for me I am convinced that menthol is no good.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I try not to inhale too much as it can irritate and give me asthma like breathing problems, and as a result I find with some flavours, I'm forever blowing my nose! One in particular is a chocolate mint one.

I wish there was an over the counter bronchodilator that I could try - the prescription preventer ones have steroid in them, and I get side effects even with small doses. The faster acting one I have is Ventolin, and I seem fine with that.
There used to be some theophylline tablets available, but they stopped the sale of them as they were being misused by slimmers I believe.
Best over the counter nasal spray I have found is called Nasalub. I have had allergies all of my life and suffered terribly until generic Zyrtec came out. And I have always had post nasal drip, vaping or smoking, it did not matter. Altho Nasalub is listed for congestion relief this spray it has worked wonders is stopping my post nasal drip completely. I used to have trouble with vg(or so I thought) but since having used this I have no problems at all. May be something you would like to consider trying.
Just my 2 pennies.

:)

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
Best over the counter nasal spray I have found is called Nasalub. I have had allergies all of my life and suffered terribly until generic Zyrtec came out. And I have always had post nasal drip, vaping or smoking, it did not matter. Altho Nasalub is listed for congestion relief this spray it has worked wonders is stopping my post nasal drip completely. I used to have trouble with vg(or so I thought) but since having used this I have no problems at all. May be something you would like to consider trying.
Just my 2 pennies. :)
Thanks. I have one called Pirinase (it's fluticasone) it seems pretty good, and it's the same ingredient that's in a Flixotide inhaler. I found the inhaler made breathing problems worse, but I'm OK with the nasal spray now and then.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
It could be a number of things, some people experience issues with high PG, some with high VG. I have recently discovered that I have silent GERD, no issues of heartburn during the day, but because of the damage at night from the reflux, inflammation in the esophagus can make breathing darn near impossible. Mint, koolada is a trigger for this as well. Cinnamon is also a known culprit to trigger issues as well. Breathing issues can often be mis-diagnosed as copd, etc. So see a gastroenterologist especially if you experience hoarseness, sore throat or coughing on a regular basis.

Silent reflux is a nasty devil.
I have it, it got to the point of my throat having closing spasms.
Years and years and years of being treated for allergies and nothing helps - sinus,post nasal drip, ears, throat, coughing...
Labeled with COPD and asthma - given prescriptions that don't work.
Finding out it was all due to silent reflux was a relief yet it's a horrible thing to live with. My favorite foods kill me :cry:

As for the vaping - I either vape unflavored or keep the flavoring % waaaaay down to keep the irritants at a minimum.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
...As for the vaping - I either vape unflavored or keep the flavoring % waaaaay down to keep the irritants at a minimum.

I too have moved to unflavored. I use a high enough level of nicotine that I do get flavor. Dropping flavorings reduced my post nasal drip substantially.

95% VG - 5% Nicotine (50mg/ml)

Vchick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NE Ohio
Silent reflux is a nasty devil.
I have it, it got to the point of my throat having closing spasms.
Years and years and years of being treated for allergies and nothing helps - sinus,post nasal drip, ears, throat, coughing...
Labeled with COPD and asthma - given prescriptions that don't work.
Finding out it was all due to silent reflux was a relief yet it's a horrible thing to live with. My favorite foods kill me :cry:

As for the vaping - I either vape unflavored or keep the flavoring % waaaaay down to keep the irritants at a minimum.

So sorry Classy, I'm finding the meds aren't completely clearing the issue, the copd inhalers, etc. aren't working either. I'm so exasperated I'm starting to google :cry:.

I was pushing earlier for a egd because you start to believe anything is possible especially with the nighttime gerd. But now I'm thinking because I feel like it's literally airway restriction I'm going to ask about scheduling a bronchoscopy, I click and weeze like you wouldn't believe just sitting and doing nothing. I found some very informative facts on tracheobronchomalacia, TBM for short, also see Excessive dynamic airway collapse. Long word but explains airway collapse, etc.

I'm pushing for anything at this point, just tired of pushing meds at it. Retirement doesn't even remotely sound like fun if I can't do anything..:grr:

Last edited:

TKS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2015
@Vchick

I used to suffer from ridiculous amounts of heartburn, the thing that allowed me to completely eradicate even the memory of what it even feels like anymore was a diet change. It’s very contentious and popular to dog on now since it’s getting so much attention from food/health/industry personell, but removing things like meat, cheese, eggs, and meat has done for me what vaping did for my lungs a few years ago. The night and day change is unbelievable to the degree that all those heartburn medicines should be seen as criminal enterprises for even existing at this point; considering how effective a diet change was.

I desperately resonate and sympathize with people that suffer from diet-derived illnesses after seeing for myself how easily the body regulates itself once given the proper “fuel” and literally even the smallest amount of physical activity per day. A simple 20 minutes walk if nothing else honestly will do wonders paired with a diet dense with vegetables/fruit/whole grains and such others.

I truly hope if you indeed are finding your ailments to be such a bother, to give a vegan diet a shot. You stand only to gain and nothing to lose aside from the first few days of adjusting your cooking plans.

• Informative

Vchick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NE Ohio
@Vchick

I used to suffer from ridiculous amounts of heartburn, the thing that allowed me to completely eradicate even the memory of what it even feels like anymore was a diet change. It’s very contentious and popular to dog on now since it’s getting so much attention from food/health/industry personell, but removing things like meat, cheese, eggs, and meat has done for me what vaping did for my lungs a few years ago. The night and day change is unbelievable to the degree that all those heartburn medicines should be seen as criminal enterprises for even existing at this point; considering how effective a diet change was.

I desperately resonate and sympathize with people that suffer from diet-derived illnesses after seeing for myself how easily the body regulates itself once given the proper “fuel” and literally even the smallest amount of physical activity per day. A simple 20 minutes walk if nothing else honestly will do wonders paired with a diet dense with vegetables/fruit/whole grains and such others.

I truly hope if you indeed are finding your ailments to be such a bother, to give a vegan diet a shot. You stand only to gain and nothing to lose aside from the first few days of adjusting your cooking plans.

Thanks but I have really never had any issues with heartburn, except for vegetables & sugar..:blink: I have night time gerd (silent reflux) but the meds prescribed for that have been pretty ineffective for the breathing issues. thanks for the thought though!

TKS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2015
They're essentially the same thing, both stemming from gastroesophageal conditions, GERD is a more serious form of "heartburn". When I say heartburn, I mean it as a form of acid reflux. The fact you bring up food based triggers means it's not some unknown genetic mutation causing it (none exist that I ever heard of in the general conversations of acid reflux and it's forms). I presume when you say veggies and sugar, that is pasta sauce and the like/ketchup. And sugar? Did you mean the sweet variant of refined sugar in contrast to unrefined found in fruits?

If you don't mean that, and you mean ANY veggies, and ANY fruits+refined sugar foods induce the acid reflux/heartburn during the day. I am very sorry to hear that. I have never seen such a thing, that must feel like a death sentence :(

As for nighttime gerd, I have had that occur many a times. Mostly induced eating a big meal before bed sort of occasions which I have also stopped doing, and also overeating. When I initially switched to genesis vaping, I had a resurgence of acid reflux when switching to 50/50 blends (Five Pawns juices with tons of flavor) and high 12-18mg nicotine juices. I confirmed it was the nicotine at that point as I started homebrewing flavorless to diagnose the issue. But still stuck to 12mg. Lo and behold it was the nicotine concentration (also my addict levels of vaping frequency at the time).

• Useful
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread