Can you test..

Status
Not open for further replies.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
internal mods just don't have any advantages over a replaceable battery mod
Well there's one I can think of (only because it gets thrown at me regularly in some other forum):
no loose batteries in the pocket with change and keys.
For the average uninformed user that buys from a shop where they don't sell cases along the batteries that may be an advantage.

Granted that's pretty far fetched and shouldn't be an issue in 2018, the drawbacks certainly outweigh that little potential advantage.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Oh absolutely, I'm on the same page. It's just what I have to sometimes read when I say exchangeable battery mods are generally safer than fixed internal ones ;)
It's about every time somebody grilled their ham with batteries in the pocket "it's those exchangeable battery mods that cause this, why aren't all mods internal battery"...
While it's true that you would never carry batteries with those internal battery mods they have other (and imo more serious) safety problems associated with them, so that "advantage" doesn't really count.

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
Oh absolutely, I'm on the same page. It's just what I have to sometimes read when I say exchangeable battery mods are generally safer than fixed internal ones ;)
It's about every time somebody grilled their ham with batteries in the pocket "it's those exchangeable battery mods that cause this, why aren't all mods internal battery"...
While it's true that you would never carry batteries with those internal battery mods they have other (and imo more serious) safety problems associated with them, so that "advantage" doesn't really count.

Well, I just don't feel safe carrying a mod with external batteries in my pocket, what if the mods door slides open and the batteries fall out. I just feel safe carrying one internal battery mod in pocket, and one spare in my purse , in a case, if needed. I know it's hard to understand, but, I feel in my home these external batteries could pose my risk then internal battery mods. I'm forgetful, take medications and don't want to be half asleep changing batteries and forget to check the wraps then boom! It might be an irrational fear but I'm not sure.

I ordered a revenger go and might order an istick qc to vape the falcon tank and fireluke mesh pro, I just hope these mods can safely vape 70-100 watts.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Higher wattage internal battery mods suck. Plain and simple.
    First of all, most mainstream internal mods use 18xxx round cells. LiPo mods are a rarity, and that rightfully so for the safety aspect, because INR for example is a much safer chemistry.

Most of the internal battery mods I have seen use round pouch LCO chemistry (LiPo) cells.

untar

Vaping Master
    Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    just don't feel safe carrying a mod with external batteries in my pocket
    Look at it like this:
    You can carry external batteries in a separate case if you don't want them to be inside your mod. They can't fall out then and your mod is completely unpowered (which is impossible with an internal battery), protecting you from accidentally/unwittingly powering on the mod (happens in real life, 5-click-on can't 100% prevent that).
    Same goes for leaving it eg on your desk or nightstand, if it starts to autofire bad things can happen, with no batteries in the mod it can't autofire.
    Next, your mod isn't an ideal place to charge batteries, no ventilation and it's next to a board that gets warmer while doing its job, as is your battery. This will lead to your battery deteriorating faster than it needs to at best, with an internal battery that means the lifetime of the whole device is affected.

From a safety perspective there's no really good argument for internal battery mods.

tara81

ECF Veteran
    Mar 13, 2014
    canada
    Look at it like this:
    You can carry external batteries in a separate case if you don't want them to be inside your mod. They can't fall out then and your mod is completely unpowered (which is impossible with an internal battery), protecting you from accidentally/unwittingly powering on the mod (happens in real life, 5-click-on can't 100% prevent that).
    Same goes for leaving it eg on your desk or nightstand, if it starts to autofire bad things can happen, with no batteries in the mod it can't autofire.
    Next, your mod isn't an ideal place to charge batteries, no ventilation and it's next to a board that gets warmer while doing its job, as is your battery. This will lead to your battery deteriorating faster than it needs to at best, with an internal battery that means the lifetime of the whole device is affected.

From a safety perspective there's no really good argument for internal battery mods.
    You do have some really good arguments, but if I've got my mod in my pocket, chances are I'm going for a walk or doing something where I want to vape it while doing so. I don't think it would be very ideal to put batteries in the mod while at the bar then take them out each time I pocket my mod.

I worry if I use external batteries, myself or someone in my household may forget what their for and accidently drop them without the case, or I would forget about wearing my ring... so many theories in my head..

Do u guys think the revenger go is safe at 70-100 watts? It's a 200 watt device ..Here is the review on spin fuel, I'm not sure how long it's been out sadly
    https://spinfuel.com/vaporesso-revenger-go-mod-kit-preview/

Reactions: untar

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    One other point for external batteries: Batteries can fail due to being improperly charged. Do you prefer to trust the charging circuit of a Chinese mod maker that is churning out mods quickly to capitalize on the market or an external charger from a company that specializes in battery chargers?

mimöschen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2016
    Well, I just don't feel safe carrying a mod with external batteries in my pocket, what if the mods door slides open and the batteries fall out. I just feel safe carrying one internal battery mod in pocket, and one spare in my purse , in a case, if needed. I know it's hard to understand, but, I feel in my home these external batteries could pose my risk then internal battery mods. I'm forgetful, take medications and don't want to be half asleep changing batteries and forget to check the wraps then boom! It might be an irrational fear but I'm not sure.

I ordered a revenger go and might order an istick qc to vape the falcon tank and fireluke mesh pro, I just hope these mods can safely vape 70-100 watts.
    If the battery door on a mod opens unwillingly, the mod is garbage from the start. But that never ever happened to me in all my years of vaping. And I'm not one of the overly cautious type of vaper.
    But if you like it absolutely secure, there are mods like the Pico for example, where you screw the batterydoor/-cap down. Absolutely impossible to open accidentely.

VapingintheGTA

ECF Veteran
    Jun 1, 2016
    GTA
    -I just don't feel safe carrying a mod with external batteries in my pocket,
    -I just feel safe carrying one internal battery...
    a spare in my purse.
    -I know it's hard to understand...
    -I feel in my home these external batteries could pose my risk then internal battery mods.

By no means am I debating, I’m just sharing some of the same feelings as the OP. You are not alone.

I’m external bat phobic too (mostly with dual bats or more). l’ve been using the MVP’s for years & others from the same manufacturer, starting from the 2, 3, 3 Pro, and now the 4.

I’ll admit that do feel more comfortable with the single 18650 mods due (ECF) one and only Mooch.
    Who I personally want to thank for what must, at times, feel like a thankless job. Thank you for devoting your time, wealth of knowledge and money because the proper testing equipment can’t be cheap. For those that don’t know, @Mooch is also on patrion (sp?) the same place as, MATCHY MATCHY Daniel djlsb Vapes can be found.. it’s a way to help him continue his priceless work.

Re. my bat phobia, I’m not constantly having to babysit bats while they’re charging or the in garage while charging their bats. etc. (this was posted here on ECF when a bat vented while on a charger)

I’m a tootle puffer 80% of the time, so for the most part, l’m not pushing my mod to the limits. But it’s scary when you have so many new mods and things changing so rapidly!
    Vonnie
    I’m on my way out and surely I have corrections to make and will edit ASAP

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    By no means am I debating, I’m just sharing some of the same feelings as the OP. You are not alone.

I’m external bat phobic too (mostly with dual bats or more). l’ve been using the MVP’s for years & others from the same manufacturer, starting from the 2, 3, 3 Pro, and now the 4.

I’ll admit that do feel more comfortable with the single 18650 mods due (ECF) one and only Mooch.
    Who I personally want to thank for what must, at times, feel like a thankless job. Thank you for devoting your time, wealth of knowledge and money because the proper testing equipment can’t be cheap. For those that don’t know, @Mooch is also on patrion (sp?) the same place as, MATCHY MATCHY Daniel djlsb Vapes can be found.. it’s a way to help him continue his priceless work.

Thank you!

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I emailed vaporesso to ask about their internal batteries and CDR rating in the revenger mini(85 W), tarot nano(85W), and revenger go(220W) mods and this is the response I get... Anyone Understand what this means ?

"
    Dear Tara,

We got confiirmed with our engineers that all of our built in batteries are 0-100% CDR
    "

It means they had absolutely no idea what you were really asking about. :D

tara81

ECF Veteran
    Mar 13, 2014
    canada
    my god their email support must suck. I been trying to get the answer for 2 weeks now.Thanks Mooch , thats what I thought , or that they were just giving me the most vague answer possible to try to shut me up..

first they told me the mah power.. So i specified CDR rating in amperage next ...

"Please just tell me the CDr rating of the batteries inside !!! I need to know for safe vaping practices. Your website says the mah but NOT the CDr . If you go past the CDr rating on batteries you overtax them, thus risking explosion. How many internal batteries and what CDr in AMPs ( continuous drain rating ) is in the following batteries :

Revenger mini
    Tarot nano
    Revenger go

I have all three devices and want to try sub ohming 0.15 ohm coils. But I need to know their CDr rating! Not maximum output power, continuous drain rating in amperage! "

=( sigh

Last edited:

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    my god their email support must suck. I been trying to get the answer for 2 weeks now.
    first they told me the mah power.. So i specified CDR rating in amperage next ...

"Please just tell me the CDr rating of the batteries inside !!! I need to know for safe vaping practices. Your website says the mah but NOT the CDr . If you go past the CDr rating on batteries you overtax them, thus risking explosion. How many internal batteries and what CDr in AMPs ( continuous drain rating ) is in the following batteries :

Revenger mini
    Tarot nano
    Revenger go

I have all three devices and want to try sub ohming 0.15 ohm coils. But I need to know their CDr rating! Not maximum output power, continuous drain rating in amperage! "

=( sigh

Odds are they have no idea of the ratings for the batteries inside other than, perhaps, what they might say on the web site...if those are accurate numbers.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Whoever puts the batteries in the mod must know =( what the heck lol. Thanks mooch for letting me know their clueless ;(

There is usually a truly huge divide between the engineers, maybe at the factory, and the marketing or customer service departments.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Whoever puts the batteries in the mod must know =( what the heck lol. Thanks mooch for letting me know their clueless ;(
    One would hope that the mod manufacturer would put a LiPo in that matched the output of the mod. In my experience that's a big leap of faith.
    Odds are they have no idea of the ratings for the batteries inside other than, perhaps, what they might say on the web site...if those are accurate numbers.
    There is usually a truly huge divide between the engineers, maybe at the factory, and the marketing or customer service departments.
    This right here is the primary reason I use ONLY external battery mods. Using an internal battery mod, one is hoping the manufacturer is matching the right battery to the mod's requirements. Based on my experience with Chinese mod manufacturers in general, that's a big leap of faith. As the OP has found out, its nearly impossible to find the specs of LiPo batteries used by a particular mod manufacturer.

Using external battery mods, I am the one choosing the right battery to match the output for the way I vape. It's not that hard to choose the right one from the specs which are easy to obtain if you know where to look.
    • Choose only from the Big Four battery manufacturers: Lg, Samsung, Sanyo, or Sony.
    • Check and confirm the battery specs from Mooch's tests. List of Battery Tests
    • Choose the battery based upon the wattage setting you use, and the current (amp rating) specification of the model and brand battery. (You don't require a 25A or 30A battery if you vape under 35 watts.)
    • Purchase the batteries from a reputable & trusted battery supplier to avoid getting counterfeits.
    The information needed to make the right choice is available right here in this forum. In fact, I believe it has already been presented in this thread.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread