Canada also cracking down

Status
Not open for further replies.

markab

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I read an interesting article in the Toronto Star newspaper (one of Toronto's major newspapers). The following quote -although somewhat expected, was rather disheartning.

"Health Canada determined last month that they (e-cigarettes) fall under the Food and Drugs Act, which means a company must submit evidence of safety and effectiveness in order to market them. Health Canada is taking steps to inform importers of the regulations, according to a government spokesperson."

From the growing number posts appearing here it seems that more and more countries are cracking down on e-cigs. It's so unfortunate the e-cig manufacturers didn't just go after the quick buck and have professional independent studies done to help provide proof of the safety of their product -assuming it is, before taking it to market. I'm glad I just got my six month supply of e-liquid now. You can read the whole article here;

http://www.(REMOVE)healthzone.ca/health/article/600906

Johnsky

Mar 9, 2009
Would it be OK if we import and then place our own warning labels on the product?

I mean... if we leave it up to China to print warning labels, they might turn out like this...
>>>Warning Label.<<<

Is there any way we can agree with Health Canada to print labels before sale in Canada?

And exactly what are they looking for in proof? I mean, they could be talking about a check on substance levels, or they could be demanding generations of evidence from users.

Last edited:

RjG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2008
Edmonton AB Canada
..."Health Canada determined last month that they (e-cigarettes) fall under the Food and Drugs Act, which means a company must submit evidence of safety and effectiveness in order to market them. Health Canada is taking steps to inform importers of the regulations, according to a government spokesperson."

That quote was a lie. Reading all news about e-cigs is pretty disappointing. It seems to be a trend now, the media (and the clueless ...... they interview) generally have no problem slanting the story, and making it up as they go along. The days of factual reporting, trusting the media, are long gone apparently.

I posted about this yesterday, with a link to the inspectorate's phone number on the bottom. They aren't cracking down.... yet. She indicated it would likely be several months before they made a decision on it.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...oronto-star-canada-front-page.html#post131828

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread