Carto tank question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Knight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2013
Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States
I just started using carto tanks. Got a couple IBT tanks and IKV cartos.

Thanks to Baditude's blog posts, I got them set up just fine. Using the 'thingy' from IBT makes priming the carto extremely simple.

I get the carto primed and start vaping. After taking 5-10 hits from it, if I pull the drip tip off, the top of the carto appears to be dry. My impression was that the filler would remain (basically) in it's primed, saturated state. So, is that normal or am I doing something wrong?

Using 50/50 PG/VG so it's not a thick liquid.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Your observation is perfectly normal. After vaping for a few minutes, the top of the filler will always "look" dry even after perfect priming.

Cartomizer Anatomy.jpg (click image to enlarge)

When you pull on the tank to vape, suction pulls the juice not only from the tank but from the filler in the carto, too. See diagram for the red arrows. Juice level in the carto will reach about the middle of the carto and stay there. The carto's filler will never stay saturated with juice from top to bottom unless the carto becomes flooded (not a good thing).

As long as the part of the filler wick stays wet where the heating coil is, it will not burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread