Cartos, Clearos, and Cash Money. What to buy rundown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

axolotly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 9, 2010
GA
Posting this in Clearomizers as I think it weighs heavier on that side.

As I've posted in another thread:

So I tried quitting 2 years ago and was semi-successful. Down to a couple analogs a day. Dripping was the only method that satisfied the cravings, but I was on the go all of the time so dripping got too messy and not realistic to be doing all day. Back to analogs with a vengence.

So now I'm back and a week analog free. From my prior experience, I knew it was vital to get my hands on as much gear as I could to find something that suited my lifestyle and that I knew I would stick with. I went carto/clearo crazy:

Jn9I1h.jpg

Keep in mind this is a week of purchasing, and a week of vaping. I have an eGo C Twist, for reference. From a couple of years back I knew that I preferred LR atties, a strong TH, and warm vapor. That being said, I bought a variety of clearomizers (didn't exist back in the day) and cartomizers (I hated these back in the day) at varying resitances. Well, after a week of testing these guys out, I thought I would share my top 3 (not mentioning vendors, as I don't know who's who yet on the scene in terms of customer service and prices). Going to be concise, as a lot of what I wind up liking has more of a "feel" to it.

#3 - A Tie!

I Couldn't decide between these two guys, so let's call the number 3 position a tie. First we have:
Thor Clearomizer (came in a kit with 3 different atties, I added the metal drip tip). This has been my go to for nice warm vapor. Short wick, but nice vapor and Great TH. The site I bought it from said it also took Vivi Nova heads, so that will be a plus in the future. I haven't had a leak yet, and the taste hasn't been diminishing (I owe it a good cleaning too).

chhM6h.jpg

Thor is tied in third place with the Kanger T2 (I prever the LR, but the regular is great too). I'm planning on picking up the new rebuildables, metal tips, and checking out the bottom coiled versions. That being said, this was the first clearo that stayed on my battery for more than a few hours. Again no leaks, great vapor, and for some reason it likes my sweeter juices (think watermelon, not honey-glazed-cinnamon-cherry-apple-fudge-covered-mocha-berry). This was my first "oh wow, these new clear-thingies are rad" moment.

kjpKYh.jpg

#2- A Cartomizer? I hate Cartomizers.

When I first tried vaping, I was all drip drip drip. Then I tried all of the cartomizers out there. My favorite was the LR boge, but it still didn't get me anything close to satisfaction. On a whim, I bought a SMOKtec shorty stainless steel single coil (added my own metal drip tip). This little dude clocks in at 1.7 ohms. All I have to say is think dark dessert flavors, crank it up (I'm not responsible for your battery), your hand will be on fire, and your mouth will be in heaven. And I hate cartomizers. I really do.

XZKnOh.jpg

#1- Vivi Nova Mini, of course

Do a forum search. Believe the hype. Get some metal tubes and drip tips. Don't turn back.

u8KxUh.jpg

Anyway, I hope this might help some new folks, or old new folks getting back into the game. If it doesn't, at least I can justify laying out so much dough trying to help others and myself!

Last edited:

axolotly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 9, 2010
GA
Thanks for all of your "hard work" i am a new vapor and have been playing the same game. Trying to find the parts that will keep me off of analogs for good. i just got my first vivi mini and am so far loving it. I have had a hit or miss experience with the Kanger T2 some have worked great and others have been leek machines.

Ha! Yes, it's been fun hard work. :)

I haven't had any leaking with the T2s, but it's still my first week. Glad you are loving the Vivi Mini like I am!

axolotly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 9, 2010
GA
I still like the taste a carto gives my vapes. I'm one of those weirdos who enjoys the filler taste.

I've found this occasionally with some flavors (usually menthols)- it is kind of weird, and I wonder what about burning filler makes it enjoyable. That being said, we all enjoyed chemical-laden cigarettes at some points.

My experience is different.

Best flavor: BetterLifeTech CE3
Most consistent/fiddle free vape: Tanked Carto
Dripping attys: a modified CE3 for a clearo atty.
Favorite all around clearo: Kanger T2 (as long as you don't loose the free floating flavor strand)
Best hot vape: CE2's v4-6/ultimates

I use all of the above depending on what type of vape I want.
Even though the T2 is my fav all around clearo, the 'tilt-to-vape' law with all top coils is starting to wear thin. I really hope that the T3's are a good device when they are released as 'flagging' looks really stupid IMHO.

Of course as new devices are released weekly, I reserve the right to change my mind :)

synthros

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 5, 2009
Spring Hill,Tn
Cool post. I thought I was in the prefer cartos group also. But I think what it really was, is that I prefer my flavor a bit muted as opposed to liking the flavor of the filler. Most full on flavors are just too much, and I don't enjoy them and cartos settled it down. Having said that , and now that I've got the flavor thing kinda figured out for me the vivi novas are what m using almost exclusively, they really do rock!

axolotly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 9, 2010
GA
Awesome feedback, folks!

Favorite all around clearo: Kanger T2 (as long as you don't loose the free floating flavor strand)

I just cleaned my non-rebuildable Kanger T2 LR last night (water + dry burn). Vaped beautifully for a while, and then started losing flavor. What is this magic "ree floating flavor strand"?

They have a loose strand of wick that just lays on top of the coil. I lost one in the ultrasonic cleaner and didn't notice until I was vaping and the clearos flavor wasn't on par.
I had some 3mm CE2 style wick material and I just removed one of the strands and cut it a little longer. I placed it back on top of the coil; reinstalled the top seal and it's rockin' again.

axolotly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 9, 2010
GA
They have a loose strand of wick that just lays on top of the coil. I lost one in the ultrasonic cleaner and didn't notice until I was vaping and the clearos flavor wasn't on par.
I had some 3mm CE2 style wick material and I just removed one of the strands and cut it a little longer. I placed it back on top of the coil; reinstalled the top seal and it's rockin' again.

Sounds like time for an autopsy on mine. Thanks!

405Brad654

Unregistered Supplier
Jul 17, 2012
Midwest City
I was just wondering as the heads I have are OEM. I know there are some knock-offs out there, but I wasn't sure if they have the loose strand.

The ones I ordered from DiscountVapers.com have the loose strand in them aswell.. Not sure on the original heads because those are long gone and I never thought to check them. When I was cleaning my first replacement one I noticed a loose piece of wick on top. A WTF moment but I left it there anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread