Chair of RCGP pushing for e-cigs to be medically controlled!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FringeChief68

Kingsguard
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
Just so you know :unsure:

21st of Dec. The Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP) announce this Roll-Out Pharmacist scheme,
and a £112M investment from Royal Pharmaceutical Society (RPS),
Roll-out of pharmacist scheme will benefit GPs and patients, says RCGP

3 Days after the £112M investment on the 24th of Dec., Helen Stokes-Lampard (Chair of RCGP) is pushing for e-cigs to be medically controlled.
Put vaping under medical control, says GPs’ leader

So the people of the UK will have to pay a Doctor to get a prescription to pay a pharmacist to give them a £5 e-cig for £100 or whatever mark up price they want. :(

Not sure how this will effect the U.S. since Big tobacco is already making a move to control e-cigs.
How the FDA Helped Philip Morris Crush the E-Cig Competition -- The Motley Fool

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
Just so you know :unsure:

21st of Dec. The Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP) announce this Roll-Out Pharmacist scheme,
and a £112M investment from Royal Pharmaceutical Society (RPS),
Roll-out of pharmacist scheme will benefit GPs and patients, says RCGP

3 Days after the £112M investment on the 24th of Dec., Helen Stokes-Lampard (Chair of RCGP) is pushing for e-cigs to be medically controlled.
Put vaping under medical control, says GPs’ leader

So the people of the UK will have to pay a Doctor to get a prescription to pay a pharmacist to give them a £5 e-cig for £100 or whatever mark up price they want. :(

Not sure how this will effect the U.S. since Big tobacco is already making a move to control e-cigs.
How the FDA Helped Philip Morris Crush the E-Cig Competition -- The Motley Fool
Puts a new twist on Doctor Shopping..

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
That's not how the NHS works. If a prescription is made for any item in the UK then there is a standard charge of £8.25 regardless of the cost of the item (it's free for pensioners, benefit claimants etc). I for one would love to get a mod, atomiser and liquid for $10.
The call for a ban of vapourisers in public places, however, i do not like at all. Thankfully i believe that this will not happen simply because it is unenforceable. At present it is up to the owners of establishments to make a decision to allow vaping. Thankfully most are ok with it...

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Quite misleading trying to link two separate articles and claim there is some collusion going on that would require extensive medical intervention and dramatically increase costs of vape products. The first article concerns pharmacists working with GPs to to reduce the time and expense spent on ALL medication prescribing and refills by putting the burden on pharmacists for routine matters like refills. There is nothing in that partnership or press announcement about vaping. And, as @ppeeble pointed out, that's not how the NHS in Britain even works as far as costs in seeing doctors or the costs of prescription medications.

The second story is unrelated and is an opinion piece viewing vaping from the perspective of harm reduction, that is, getting people to stop smoking, which is pretty much what everyone wants, including current vapers. Would I like to see further regulation of where you can vape? No. But I do not see some big conspiracy going on.

The third article concerns US regulations, not the UK. It's also old news, and trying to somehow connect it to the first two articles (which aren't related to each other anyway) makes it seem you believe there is some linkage between them all when there isn't.

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
It was obvious from the beginning.
Do not believe Royal Physicians are on your side.
Yes, they have said vaping is not too dangerous. But of course it still should be supervise by the physicians. Preferable Royal ones.

I agree on the Royal College of Physicians. For the sake of clarity, I'd like to note the article in the original post is in reference to the Royal College of General Practitioners.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
I agree on the Royal College of Physicians. For the sake of clarity, I'd like to note the article in the original post is in reference to the Royal College of General Practitioners.
I am sorry for my misinformed post.
When I was still a little alien my mother taught me - never drink and write. I wish I'd followed her advice.

FringeChief68

Kingsguard
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
Quite misleading trying to link two separate articles and claim there is some collusion going on that would require extensive medical intervention and dramatically increase costs of vape products. The first article concerns pharmacists working with GPs to to reduce the time and expense spent on ALL medication prescribing and refills by putting the burden on pharmacists for routine matters like refills. There is nothing in that partnership or press announcement about vaping. And, as @ppeeble pointed out, that's not how the NHS in Britain even works as far as costs in seeing doctors or the costs of prescription medications.

The second story is unrelated and is an opinion piece viewing vaping from the perspective of harm reduction, that is, getting people to stop smoking, which is pretty much what everyone wants, including current vapers. Would I like to see further regulation of where you can vape? No. But I do not see some big conspiracy going on.

The third article concerns US regulations, not the UK. It's also old news, and trying to somehow connect it to the first two articles (which aren't related to each other anyway) makes it seem you believe there is some linkage between them all when there isn't.
This is from my lack of knowledge on how the UK health systems work.
I am used to the US health system where when you see Big Pharma donating money to a health organization, charity, or a politician, it normally means a hidden agenda.
I just seen money going from the Royal Pharmaceutical Society & NHS to the RCGP and assumed the worst.
It's sad that Pharmaceutical has become an Evil word to me :(

T0mmy1977

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 1, 2015
    • Deleted by retired1
    • Reason: Inappropriate language
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread