Not open for further replies.

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Good Afternoon fellow Vapors,

Today we are looking at the latest device from the good folks at Smoant, the Charon Mini 225w.
Courtesy of Smoant
Smoant Charon mini 225W 2inch Display Upgradeable TC Mod

Now, when Smoant states "Less is More" this device stays true to it!

The first impression I had when I opened the box was "this thing holds 2 18650's?, Where?" It is a small device, but don't let that fool you, I have seen plenty of small passenger vehicles on the inside that pack more technology than the International Space Station!
2018-06-16 (2).png

Currently the Charon Mini is only available in 4 colors, Rainbow, Red, Black, and Gold.

In the Box you receive,

1 x Charon Mini 225
1 x User Manual
1 x USB/Micro Cable for updating the firmware and charging
1 x Battery Safety Card
1 x Quality Control Inspection card
1 x Warranty Card

Now let's a look at the Specs.

The Charon Mini comes in at 89mm long by 45mm wide and 29mm long which when you think about it its about right in the middle of the dual 18650 range. As a visual comparison I decided to put it up against an Alien I had collecting dust.
charonalien1.jpg

The Charon Mini is a hair taller but the width and length are nearly the same. Coming in at a weight of 160g, w/o batteries, is pretty impressive since the Charon Mini is ALL METAL, yes, very solid, even the paint unlike other devices that can easily scuff when you put it in you vape luggage.
As in the front view of the Charon Mini the fire button is not flush which I know can be a concern especially if you carry the device in a pocket or purse, me personally, I have put this device in my vape bag, cupholders, and 3 different pockets in my cargo shorts over the past weeks and never had the device fire from the fire button accidentally being pushed, it is a relatively stiff button to push but not so to where it is going to make your thumb sore from using as an ADV. Even the bottom adjustment buttons do not catch on anything and are good stiff reactive buttons.

As stated in the opening the Charon Mini is a 225 watt device, from 1w to 225 in 0.1 watt increments, which with dual 18650 batteries you may get a good 167 watts from it until 18650's are made to actually produce 225.
The Charon Mini is also stated to provide balanced 1.5v charging through the USB-Micro cable which is included. I personally did not charge through the device to see but instead used an external charger so as to not possibly damage the device in anyway.
The resistance in the wattage modes are going to be 0.10 to 3.00 ohms and 0.10 to 2.00 ohms when using temperature control/ TCR modes, and carries the temperature setting from 100C thru 300C, or 200f to 600F.
As with the Cylon 218, if any of you have had the opportunity to use one, the TC/TCR works great. Even stocks the same ANT chipset as the Cylon with the very impressive user interface, very straight foward and does not stray into the Escribe territory of use.
I used the Loop RDA with dual SS316 coils ID 3mm 0.43 ohm to test out the TCR and TC SS mode, I was unable to test the Nickel and Titanium modes due to the lack of wire at this time. The TCR setting that I received the best results at was 0.0095. Even the TC Curve works great, being able to adjust the rate of temperature increase.
20180608_164538.jpg

Sorry but I just had to throw in a great screen saver this device has, the analog clock, and yes before you ask, the Sun changes to a Moon in sync with the time setting. This clock is animated but unfortunately I could only provide you with a still of it.
The screen resolution is very nice at 300 dots per inch and 262k pixel range. oh, I forgot to mention it does have a 2 inch thin film transistor which is just a fancy way of saying it has a flat panel LCD screen, like your TV, so, imagine how clear the wallpaper of your favorite pet, sports team, or basically any picture you would like to add as a screen saver.
Wallpaper? I can add them?
Absolutely!
charonmini6.jpg

The Charon Mini comes out of the box with 9, yes, 9, preloaded pictures that you can use as your background on the main screen which uses a digital format or as your screen saver.
The Charon Mini currently offers the same 2 main displays screens as it's older brother the Cylon 218, 1 digital and 1 speedometer, just with one addition, animated gears!
charonmini7.jpg

Display 2, digital with the option of 1 of 9 preloaded wallpapers or you can upload your own using Smoant's software found here smoant.com/charon-mini-update.rar.
20180616_152558.jpg

For those of you that like to use a Curve, Variable Power Control, etc option, welp, it's got it, and, its adjustable in 1 second increments with a total of 10 seconds of adjustable wattage. Especially for those pesky coils around 0.4-0.6 ohms where in normal wattage mode you either seem to not get much flavor or using too much wattage and replacing coils prematurely, the Curve on these device will fix those issues and even work great with the RTA users. And as with the Cylon you do get the preheat options of Min, Norm, and Max.
charonmini4.jpg

I don't think Smoant could have improved this device. You get the small size, dual 18650, centered 510 capable of holding a 26mm atty w/o overhang, nice bright colorful display, ungradable, customizable wallpapers/screen savers, 6 slot 24 hole bottom battery ventilation, strong battery door magnets, simple menu system, TC/TCR that works good, no rattles, fires up quickly, has several nice protections ie. Low Voltage, Over Current, Overheat, and Overtime.

As with every device, each feature and aspect of the device is going to be a personal preference. Some users hate the fire button and love the fire bar and vis versa, color, and weight.

I hope that this review helps our fellow Vapors in the hunt for a next device in the big ocean of products.

as always,

Vape Safe and Vape Happy,

TonEe N

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread