Cisco Atomizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaratoughda

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2011
NE Pennsylvania
I have been using Cisco attys for a while now... I like the 306 size (though, they have 510 sized as well), they come in 1.5, 1.8, 2.0 and other ohm versions (I use the 1.8s) and, the wick is really easy to pick out (for dripping).

But, there is one problem with them in that they have a tendency... to drop in resistance... and it is dangerous to go below 1.5 ohms on Joye Ego.

Looking at the heating coil through 10x magnification, you can see that the coil is much more uniform than what I have generally seen on attys. However, the rounds in the coil are right next to each other, seemingly touching in fact and one gets the impression that, as you use them shorts between the rounds tend to develop in some cases.

So, the question is, is there any alternative to Cisco attys, particularly in the 306 size?

The Joye 306 SR atty is what I used to use but they only come in 2.4 ohms and the wick cannot be easily picked out. The Joye 306 LR is an option I guess but, although a lot of people use these on egos, there is still some danger in going that low in resistance and still the wick cannot readily be picked out.

But, there is a lot of stuff out there now so I am wondering if there is really any 306 sized alternative to the Ciscos.

Thank you,

Z

P.S. Yeah, I got some Ikenvape I06 atties and, they are really 510 sized open bridge atties not 306 and, looking at the coils under 10x magnification, they did not have the uniformity of the ciscos.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Bauway, Joye, Smoke Tech, and Cisco make 306's. There might be another one out there, but atty manufacturers are few.

As to "dangerous" to run an LR atty on an ego... I'm not sure "dangerous" is the right word. And, I'm also pretty sure the consensus is that you shouldn't use anything below 2.0 ohms on an ego, but lots of people do without issue. There are a couple of weak points in a joye ego. The resistor right before the mofset and the mofset itself are not very durable. Running LR on an ego isn't really a hazard to the user. Rather, it's tough on the mofset and the resistor right before the mofset. Those items are very sensitive to surges. If you pop a coil while pulling a couple of amps, there is a sudden drop in ohms as the coil fails and that creates a surge. That surge has an increased likelihood of taking out either that resistor or the mofset itself and leaving the joye ego unusable.

Zaratoughda

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2011
NE Pennsylvania
Six... thanks for the replay and, yeah, I was just thinking of 'dangerous' to the battery. Might have used another term.

There is the ego at regulated 3.4 volts, and the riva, at regulated 3.7 volts, and various stuff out there including the variable voltage batteries and so, I have done some calculations.

If you have an ego and a 1.8 ohm atty, and go to a riva or anything else at 3.7 volts, it is like staying with the ego and dropping the atty to 1.65 ohms (neglecting internal battery resistance), as far as current goes, and dropping to 1.52 ohms if you are talking wattage/heat.

If you have the ego and a 1.8 ohm atty, and go to 4.2 volts, it is like staying with the ego and going to 1.46 ohms for current, and going to 1.18 ohms as far as wattage/heat is concerned.

(Yeah, neglecting internal battery resistance, the ego with 1.8 ohm atty generates 6.4 watts, while a 3.7 volt device on a 1.8 ohm atty generates 7.6 watts, and the 4.2 volt device with a 1.8 ohm atty generates a whopping 9.8 watts.)

I have been thinking of getting getting an ego-twist and trying that out but, could end up blowing that battery out real fast, unless they have better mofest and the like. Then there is also an ego type battery that lightcig sells, that is 3.2/3.7/4.2 and that is interesting.

Of course, I could get a 2.5 ohm cisco atty and plug it into the 5.25 volt PT I got from vapor kings, and that would generate 11 watts... I guess you could call that high wattage (lol)... maybe a 3.0 ohm cisco atty (9.1 watts) might be more reasonable.

Any comments would be appreciated!

Z

P.S. I guess I am looking at higher wattage for greater TH. Even at the wattage I am at now, there is noticable loss of flavor in some cases. For some juice, I am thinking of going back to 2.4 ohms (on the egos) for more flavor. But, for more TH higher wattage seems better.

Edit: I just did some web searching and, I guess the Riva... is an unregulated ego. So, it starts out at 4.2 and then drops in voltage until it hits 3.2 and then shuts off.

Last edited:

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
six... if you know... are the Joye Mega batteries (1000 mah) any better as far as not dieing when handling lower resistance atomizers?

I guess it is a matter of the mofset/resistor are higher quality. If they are the same as the 650 mah ego, then I guess not.

Thanks,

Z

I honestly don't know. I've never owned any of those. -- And, I have to add that I'm one of those people I mentioned before who have never had any difficulty running LR stuff on egos. There are four or five egos and a few ego clones laying around here. Almost all of them have 1.7 or 1.8 ohm cartos on them. I have two or three egos here that are over 18 months old and after I quit using the ego-t tanks, they've pretty much only had LR cartos or attys on them since.

Zaratoughda

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2011
NE Pennsylvania
I am pretty much the same... have purchased 6 egos over the last 20 months or so, and one died because I dropped it and it landed flush on a brick surface, and another has problems with thinking it is getting too hot all the time now because I was vaping on a clogged atty and... it got real hot. But otherwise, the egos I have have pretty much been on 1.8 ohm cisco attys and, just recently, 1.7/1.8 vision V2/V3 clearomizers.... and pretty much no problems.

But, one of the 1.8 cisco attys came in at 1.7 and then dropped to 1.5 and, that got me kinda concerned. That is pushing it IMO for what an ego can handle... and if it goes anything below that could damage the ego for sure... and so I stopped using that atty.

With all this, I did some investigation out there on the web over the past couple of days and... just ordered an ego-C twist.

There is the obvious advantage with these as different juice vapes better at different wattages and, with the twist you can adjust the voltage to suit the particular juice.

But also, looking at the utube reviews, one guy (PBusardo I believe) tested them with loads and indeed tested 1.5 ohms on 4.8 volts. Now, from his test, on the 1.5 ohms, as he increased the voltage, the most he could get on that was 3.7 volts. But still, that is 9.1 watts as compared to the 6.4 I am getting now with 1.8 ohm cisco on egos.

Now, I don't believe I need to go much above the 6.4 I am at now but, being the twist can put out 4.8 volts, one would think it would be less susceptible to problems with higher current destroying the battery.

Also, 2.4 ohms at 4.0 volts is about the same as 1.8 ohms at 3.4 volts and, you get the same wattage/heat with less current.

So, I am gonna give this one a try and see how things go.

Thanks for the responses!

Z

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
So, I am gonna give this one a try and see how things go.

I think you'll be happy with the twist. I had one of each (650 and 1000 mah) and they operated pretty much as expected. I killed one of them (sticky button - I think I didn't notice it was stuck one time and left it on the workbench firing), and I gave the other one to a fellow vaper recently. I think they're a pretty good device and a step above the regular ego or any ego clone I've had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread