Cleaned and filled my cartos but not dry enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
It could be they weren't dry enough or may be worn out. At first I tried the cleaning route but after wasting juice by putting it in cleaned cartos I just threw them away. I think cleaning them is hit or miss. For me it was mostly miss. Now I just use them until the draw isn't as good as it should be or they start tasting bad I just toss them and start off fresh.

ambition

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2012
Australia
I found the first time I rinsed and boiled my cartos to clean them that they were hard to dry.

I thought that leaving them in front of the window in full sun all day would be enough, but I got the same result as you're describing.

I then learned to bake them in the oven at low heat and it worked. Not the first time mind you, I left them in there for 10 minutes at medium heat and it still didn't work. The second time I left them in on low for about 3 hours...I forgot about them lol

The vinyl sticker on the outside looked a bit worse for wear, but they were very very dry. :D

ambition

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2012
Australia
150-170 Celsius works for me. I know you're probably talking F but I don't know the conversion.
It's gotta be hot enough to evaporate the water but not enough to burn the carto.

How long and what heat depends on the carto and how tight the filler is packed into it. Just try half an hour at 150 C and see how that works for you.

minitater

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
tennessee
www.minitater.com
I got mine dry by slipping a rubber gas line hose to the end of the carto. Then with a bit of rope attached to the hose
I slung them around for a bit until most of the water was slung out. I then set them over my heater vent for a day and they are always dry enough to fill with juice. BTW, I also use this method to fill my cartos by attaching the hose on sucking end.

ambition

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2012
Australia
I got mine dry by slipping a rubber gas line hose to the end of the carto. Then with a bit of rope attached to the hose
I slung them around for a bit until most of the water was slung out. I then set them over my heater vent for a day and they are always dry enough to fill with juice. BTW, I also use this method to fill my cartos by attaching the hose on sucking end.

Yes good point. I forgot to mention that extracting the excess water from them first helps make drying so much easier.

OP if you can make some kind of sling that basically consists of a little cup with some weight and some string attached and swing the heck out of it then that really works.

Nuvene

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Chandler, Az
When you say you cleaned them, how did you do it exactly? It could be that they are dead, do you hear any sounds when you try to use it?

Yup I hear sounds... i havent had them long.. only a few days but wanted to try my husbands flavors in them... didnt think it would be good to mix orange cream or french vanilla coffee with smarties or big red... they make sounds just no vape right now...

I cleaned by boiling them a few times in water, blew all extra water out... let them sit in vodka for about an hour... blew the extra liquid out

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
I've heard to bake them at 175F for hours

I would not bake at 200C - that's almost 400 degrees and if your oven's temp is inconsistent you could set them on fire.

And in general I think you will find it is only worth washing cartos that have been used little and don't have clingy flavors. And if I liked the flavor in the carto, I just keep it damp with a similar or compatible flavor or just plain vanilla or tobacco. The flavors blend and eventually become mostly the new flavor and I get my use out of the carto with no cleaning.

Also it's waste of time/money to use cartos to test bottled juices. Use an atomizer to test juices w/ drip tip on a fairly well sealed manual battery. if you don't have a manual battery, use atomizer cartridges (not as convenient for testing juices)

The following carto models use these atomizers (all STANDARD resistance 2.5 to 3 ohm single coil)

KR808D-1 (V4L, Volt, Bloog, G6, V2, Smoktip, etc): DSE901 atty
KR808D-2 (Greensmoke, E9): Lecig D2 to D1 adapter and DSE901 atomizer, or D2 to 510 adapter and 510 atomizer
Blu: 510 atomizer (but Blu is not a 510 and will fry a 510 w/ its charger)
RN4081 (Smokstik, Njoy Npro/2-n-1, etc): RN4081 atomizer

Last edited:

Nuvene

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Chandler, Az
It could be they weren't dry enough or may be worn out. At first I tried the cleaning route but after wasting juice by putting it in cleaned cartos I just threw them away. I think cleaning them is hit or miss. For me it was mostly miss. Now I just use them until the draw isn't as good as it should be or they start tasting bad I just toss them and start off fresh.

Until I get paid again im kinda only stuck with 5... (make that 4 i burned the first one i pulled out) so just tossing and grabbing a new one is kinda outta the question

doctoronln9

Feb 8, 2012
Tampa
Whenever I slap a carto on my 808 after cleaning them, I tend to hear the usual sound but get a weak or no vape. If I keep hitting them every twenty seconds or so, I usually start to get good vapor. But honestly, what works best in my own limited experience is refilling a recently cleaned cart using the condom method (filling with a blank cap, atty end down into cap). It soaks them throughly and I get almost good as new vape.

Some carts just don't really do the job. I got one generic cart, no logo or anything, but I swear the thing has been cleaned and refilled at least eighteen times. I got another that died second time around.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Until I get paid again im kinda only stuck with 5... (make that 4 i burned the first one i pulled out) so just tossing and grabbing a new one is kinda outta the question

Sorry if I sounded flippant. Didn't mean to. Hopefully cleaning and drying will work better for you than it has for me.

Nuvene

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Chandler, Az
Sorry if I sounded flippant. Didn't mean to. Hopefully cleaning and drying will work better for you than it has for me.

I dont think you sounded flippant... Was just explaining why i cant just toss them... Im planning to get a stardust to try soon... see if i like how it tastes... then will either get more of those or more boges and a few drip tips for sampling... I just got my starter kit a couple days ago... filled all but 1 carto with 1 flavor and should have waited lol... cartos working great now.. only taste the new liquid

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
1. If you are hearing sounds, the atomizer within your cartomizer is NOT burnt out. :)
2. As far as boiling goes, leave them in for 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Take them off the hot stove, and put them on a cold stove. Let them sit in the hot water for 10 minutes.
4. Extracting the excess water. Do this before attempting to dry them.
5. First, blow out the excess water by blowing into the battery end, with the mouth end on a tissue.
6. Now, use the lanyard technique. (FYI, this works. Way back when, all the online sites used to sell cartomizer lanyards specifically for water extraction. Duct taping your atty (WELL) to a rope will also work.
7. SPIN the atty around for 2 or 3 minutes, fasten the battery end to the lanyard/rope.
8. Finally, I've never used the oven technique. I actually use the hair blower technique.
9. I created a funnel, by making a funnel out of a piece of paper, and then reinforcing it with duct tape.
10. You can stick the small end of the funnel into the mouth end, & fasten the larger opening to the blow dryer.
11. If you prefer to not make a funnel, just lay the blow dryer on it's side, with the atty as close as possible.

**NOTES:

A. If you leave the atty in the boiling water for too long, you CAN overheat the components within it.
B. If using the blow dryer funnel technique, do NOT leave the blow dryer unattended. IF you smell the blow dryer beginning to burn, then you need to take the funnel AWAY from the dryer AS FAST AS POSSIBLE or you will either ruin your blow dryer, or you will end up starting a fire.
C. Do not leave the atty on the blow dryer for more than 60 seconds at a time. Keep taking it away from the blow dryer in 60 second periods, otherwise you might burn the inside components of your atty.
D. Its probably not a good idea to use the blow dryer technique with the HIGH blow dryer setting.
E. Its probably not a good idea to use the blow dryer OR oven techniques WHILE HIGH.

**IMPORTANT**
I did read somewhere that your boiling water, or your oven/blow dryer, should NOT reach temperatures in excess of 230 degrees Fahrenheit. This can ruin the inside components. From what I have heard, there is apparently a plastic O-RING within every cartomizer/atomizer on the market. This is why the heat should not reach 230+ Fahrenheit.

doctoronln9

Feb 8, 2012
Tampa
**IMPORTANT**
I did read somewhere that your boiling water, or your oven/blow dryer, should NOT reach temperatures in excess of 230 degrees Fahrenheit. This can ruin the inside components. From what I have heard, there is apparently a plastic O-RING within every cartomizer/atomizer on the market. This is why the heat should not reach 230+ Fahrenheit.

You can check if the cart has a O-ring by popping the mouth piece out. I have some that do and some that don't. Usually "higher end" carts do. My cheap Chinese ones not so much.

Nuvene

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Chandler, Az
You can check if the cart has a O-ring by popping the mouth piece out. I have some that do and some that don't. Usually "higher end" carts do. My cheap Chinese ones not so much.

Im using Boge 2.0 cartos with a drip tip... it had a rubber mouthpiece part that i took out.. no oring on the inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread