Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
It would depend a lot I suspect on what the “rainbow” is actually made of and whether it has been clear coated. Personally I don’t buy painted attys at all and am not super trusting of gold plated ones because once the finish is pierced as will eventually happen there is no knowing how safe the underlying material is. I like my vape equipment in bare stainless steel

SlowTalker

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2010
Ohio
It's a stainless tank - the Engine Nano - and I think it may be clear coated, at least on the visible bits. The underside is duller than the rest. I don't care for the rainbow look either, but I wasn't going to turn my nose up at $17.00 for a brand new Nano.

If I could be sure a vinegar bath would strip it bare I wouldn't hesitate. What I don't want is to end up with a streaky blotchy mess.

Reactions: Eskie

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I only use hot water and unflavored denture tabs to clean tanks.

Interesting approach. Hot water, dab of dish soap and a tooth brush for me.

@SlowTalker – I know vinegar gets rid of heat oxidation as your mother demonstrated with her cookware. Heat can be used to create a rainbow effect but so can certain anodizing. Not sure which method is used for your atty. You could play it safe and just use warm soapy water or alcohol. At least the latter you can make yourself a cocktail while you clean (assuming it is vodka :D)

Reactions: puffon

SlowTalker

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2010
Ohio
I'd try it on the bottom first.
Most of the "rainbows" are created by heat treating the SS.
I wouldn't think vinegar would affect it, but test it first.
I only use hot water and unflavored denture tabs to clean tanks.

I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know. Um... denture tabs have flavors? :eek:

I know vinegar gets rid of heat oxidation as your mother demonstrated with her cookware. Heat can be used to create a rainbow effect but so can certain anodizing. Not sure which method is used for your atty. You could play it safe and just use warm soapy water or alcohol. At least the latter you can make yourself a cocktail while you clean (assuming it is vodka :D)

I have tried various soaps and the vinegar is the only thing so far that gets my tanks past the sniff test. Even after boiling I can still smell what was in there.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I have tried various soaps and the vinegar is the only thing so far that gets my tanks past the sniff test. Even after boiling I can still smell what was in there.

Curious – is it the actual metal of your atomizer that you feel retains odor or the rubber/silicone o-rings and gaskets? Not disputing your claim, we are all different when it comes to detecting odor, but if vinegar can’t be used due to the finish of an atty, it might be a good idea to find the source of odor and remove and wash separately if that is the case. Just a though.

Reactions: puffon

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
It's a stainless tank - the Engine Nano - and I think it may be clear coated, at least on the visible bits. The underside is duller than the rest. I don't care for the rainbow look either, but I wasn't going to turn my nose up at $17.00 for a brand new Nano.

If I could be sure a vinegar bath would strip it bare I wouldn't hesitate. What I don't want is to end up with a streaky blotchy mess.
Those look dipped to me. Plain dawn/warm water is all I would attempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread