The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Cleaning "Rainbow" Attys and Drip Tips

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by SlowTalker, Nov 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. SlowTalker

SlowTalker Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 8, 2010
    Ohio
    I generally clean my RTAs and Drippers with vinegar, but I remember my mom using vinegar to remove the rainbow patina on stainless cookware. Have any of you used this method on rainbow vape gear? I'm not sure about damaging the finish.

2. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    It would depend a lot I suspect on what the “rainbow” is actually made of and whether it has been clear coated. Personally I don’t buy painted attys at all and am not super trusting of gold plated ones because once the finish is pierced as will eventually happen there is no knowing how safe the underlying material is. I like my vape equipment in bare stainless steel

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. SlowTalker

Nov 8, 2010
    Ohio
    It's a stainless tank - the Engine Nano - and I think it may be clear coated, at least on the visible bits. The underside is duller than the rest. I don't care for the rainbow look either, but I wasn't going to turn my nose up at $17.00 for a brand new Nano.

If I could be sure a vinegar bath would strip it bare I wouldn't hesitate. What I don't want is to end up with a streaky blotchy mess.

• Like Like x 1
  4. puffon

puffon Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    I'd try it on the bottom first.
    Most of the "rainbows" are created by heat treating the SS.
    I wouldn't think vinegar would affect it, but test it first.
    I only use hot water and unflavored denture tabs to clean tanks.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Punk In Drublic

Punk In Drublic Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Interesting approach. Hot water, dab of dish soap and a tooth brush for me.

@SlowTalker – I know vinegar gets rid of heat oxidation as your mother demonstrated with her cookware. Heat can be used to create a rainbow effect but so can certain anodizing. Not sure which method is used for your atty. You could play it safe and just use warm soapy water or alcohol. At least the latter you can make yourself a cocktail while you clean (assuming it is vodka :D)

• Like Like x 1
  6. SlowTalker

Nov 8, 2010
    Ohio
    I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know. Um... denture tabs have flavors? :eek:

I have tried various soaps and the vinegar is the only thing so far that gets my tanks past the sniff test. Even after boiling I can still smell what was in there.

• Like Like x 2
  7. SlowTalker

Nov 8, 2010
    Ohio
    I tried white, apple cider and balsamic and so far so good.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Punk In Drublic

Punk In Drublic Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Curious – is it the actual metal of your atomizer that you feel retains odor or the rubber/silicone o-rings and gaskets? Not disputing your claim, we are all different when it comes to detecting odor, but if vinegar can’t be used due to the finish of an atty, it might be a good idea to find the source of odor and remove and wash separately if that is the case. Just a though.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SlowTalker

Nov 8, 2010
    Ohio
    Swapping out the seals when replacing a cracked tank is how I first noticed it. After that I paid more attention. The thing with the nano is that it doesn't break down very far, so it is difficult getting the top section clean.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Letitia

Letitia Citrus Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Those look dipped to me. Plain dawn/warm water is all I would attempt.

11. SlowTalker

Nov 8, 2010
    Ohio
    Didn't even think of Dawn. I'll pick some up. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.