Status
Not open for further replies.

blueGrassTubb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
The Bluegrass
if you find a glass tank for a Kayfun, please let me know, as far as I know they are all plastic

There are currently 3 glass kits for the Kayfun.

Science of Vaping
Rainbow Heaven
Tarsus

I have the RH version (both nano and full size) and I can't recommend them for the KFL+ v2 because the rings are such that you can't adequately use the fill port. That and the glass is extremely fragile.

I've also read various reports that they simply aren't what they are cracked up to be. They're a good idea, but not implemented very well.

blueGrassTubb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
The Bluegrass
I've seen these a lot, especially here. Question is, are those Pyrex or plastic? My local shop has some clear kits for Kayfuns fairly cheap, but they're all plastic. The tank and chimney. Does it matter? I like the look, and don't vape cinnamon tank crackers, so I may be okay either way. I don't know

They are plastic.

But they work great. I use nano kits of one kind or another on 5 of my Kayfuns. Two of them have the nano clear kits.

There are glass kits made, but see above as to why they may not be a great piece of kit.

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
They sell quartz glass for the kayfun for around $25.

I haven't had any problems with my plastic though.

I bought one of those quartz glass tank kits from an EBAY vendor, and it arrived today. It's made very well--the glass is clear and fire-polished, the threads are smooth, and the o-rings fit nicely. And it was only about $24 shipped, and got here in like 3 days!

However, it is about 1/64" taller than the stock tank assembly on my KFL+ (my Kayfun is NOT a clone, but a "genuine" Kayfun). That doesn't sound like much variance, but it is JUST enough to keep the chimney from seating into the o-ring in the top cap, so the top keeps popping off.

Luckily, I figured this out BEFORE I filled it, so I didn't lose any juice. But now matter what I do I can't get it to stay together.

I've contacted the seller to see if I can return it.

From my experience, I wouldn't buy one of these inexpensive glass tank kits. The tolerances on the KFL+ are so tight and precise that any tank that's not EXACTLY the right size just won't work.

I'll be buying a "Science of Vaping" glass kit (V2) when they open their website up for ordering again. They have a proprietary chimney and top cap with their design, where the chimney actually screws into the top cap, creating a rigidd structure that doesn't rely on the fitment of the tank and o-rings to keep the thing together. Seems like a MUCH more solid and reliable design. It's spendy, but quality and innovation come with a price.

And when you buy cheap ...., you often get what you pay for... ;-)

Last edited:

bludogg

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2012
Arizona
I believe Tarsius is the goto for the 'Quartz' tanks. I've been wanting to pick up a set, but the price is very steep and I haven't heard enough about the fit to verify it works without issue. I get a lot of stuff from KP and they carry them there for like 60 bucks (yikes!). I don't use any tank crackers so I can't really justify the purchase...although a second set of Quartz/Quartz Nano kits showed up on KP within the last couple weeks and is only rocking a 20 dollar price tag. No information about the manufacturer is noted.

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
I think the main reason the glass tank I got on EBAY (it was a "Rainbow Heaven", BTW) didn't work is that it is made more for the older model Kayfuns and the Russians, which are just a TINY bit taller, and have slightly longer chimneys. The KFL+ is just a tiny bit shorter than these older tanks, and the chimney is just a hair shorter.

And when you are talking about something like an RBA, 1/64" is like a mile, with regards to machining tolerances and manufacturing QA/QC.

BTW, the EBAY seller is accepting the return and has promised a full refund, so I'm pretty happy about that.

Now, if the folks at Science of Vaping could get their new website and online shopping up and running, I'd be REALLY happy... ;-)

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Love, love it, Just freakin' love it. People buy Lows cost and if it isn't perfect................oh boy.

A simple o-ring added to the Kayfun chimney cap - Cap to chimney would solve the popping off issue. However, without Seeing, I don't see how Taller would create Pressure? It should at best create a leak. Double check everything was compressed and screwed tight?
What is popping off? The upper Band of the Quartz kit?

Of the new kits, Rainbow Heaven has one of the best reputations for build quality in the China market. I have an Original Vamo, first batch{Rainbow Heaven original} and it is still working perfectly.<even with the original wimpy negative spring>
Other China Manufacturers I cannot speak of. They are all over the board in Fit and build quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread