Coil boil help

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlton M

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2011
Walnut Creek Ca
I have made several (a dozen dozens?) of ss wicks and coils, some work great, others not so much- par for the course.
Lately I have tried "no hole" center wicks, wicks with center hole, wicks with center hole but the top pinched shut, wicks with apiece of not oxidized ss in the center, et al, all with 32G kanthal, and while I have successfully eliminated hot spots/legs, my juice still boils on the coils.
I use 50/50 mix if that makes a difference.
Any help would be appreciated.

carlton M

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2011
Walnut Creek Ca
sounds like maybe yer wicks are wicking a lil too well and kinda flooding the coils......maybe up the voltage or lower the resistance if you have a mechanical so that it will vaporize the juice faster......just a thought.
I made a looser, less dense, wick, with a tiny center hole last night, and rigged it at 1.6 ohms and it works perfectly!
Over-wicking was the key.

Harrygrowth

Supplier Associate
ECF Veteran
I have made several (a dozen dozens?) of ss wicks and coils, some work great, others not so much- par for the course.
Lately I have tried "no hole" center wicks, wicks with center hole, wicks with center hole but the top pinched shut, wicks with apiece of not oxidized ss in the center, et al, all with 32G kanthal, and while I have successfully eliminated hot spots/legs, my juice still boils on the coils.
I use 50/50 mix if that makes a difference.
Any help would be appreciated.

Carlton,
When your juice boiled on the coil was there a total lack of flavor? Plenty of vapor but terrible to no flavor? I too had this problem and rolled what I thought was a wick with the hole smaller. Actually rolled without a paperclip but perhaps interior hole is still too large. Also thought it may have been from the cinnamon in the juice. I'll shoot for a tighter wick. That peter k or drill bit method of coil building has been spot on for me. I think my coils are perfect but the wick is definitely the problem. Not feeling the love yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread