Coil ohm resistance and wattage

Status
Not open for further replies.
image.jpg
I'm wondering why a 0.5 ohm coil is rated for (20-30) watts yet a 1 ohm coil is rated for (40-50) watts. I'm using the aspire Atlantis mega and the aspire CF MAXX. Thanks in advance.

lovemytank

Jun 9, 2015
Right Here
I have found most of the recommended wattages are pulled out of the air and are just approximations. Start low after priming then ramp up and find out which juice tastes the best at what wattage. I change my wattage constantly as the day/food intake/drink intake/mood changes. Watts = heat and regardless of the resistance, your volts will change to meet the need to match your selected watts. The higher resistances will take longer to heat up and will change the taste profile depending also how hard your hit it and for how long. Short story, read second sentence and good luck! Although I respect Aspire, those crazy geniuses cant use a calculator very well I have discovered.

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
The factor that correlates best with the recommended wattage, in my experience, is the surface area of the coil.
Since thicker wire has both lower resistance and larger surface area, lower resistance appears to correlate with higher wattage, but there is no direct link.
And then there is airflow, wick size/efficiency, chamber size, PG/VG ratio, etc. YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread