Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
i have been using a verity of juices some dark, some clear, some sweet, some basic, low nic, hiigh nic, high pg, high vg. all the same results
Pre-made or DIY?

When I use pre-made juice I always gunk up my coils quicker than my DIY juices.

Also, what kind of clapton? How old is it? I tend to notice as my coils wear out, the gunk up faster and my fresh coils gunk up slower.

RDA or RTA?

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
ss 316L fused 28g core /40g claptoned. i do fresh builds every time the coil gunks up.

pulse 22 rda squonk off a therion bf dna 75
You don't dry burn your coils to clean them?

I use ni80 28x3/40 fused clapton, and I have used the same coil since February on one of my RDAs. I just dry burn when its dirty, brush off the ash, wash and dry, then rewick and I'm all set for about 3-5 days of use.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm not sure. The common culprits are um, overheating, juices or chain vaping. IDK perhaps the fact that your build is very substantial it sounds like requires more preheating of the coils, but it kind of sounds like you are in middle of the road tendency wattage wise.

Slightly mysterious, I'd try some different wire or prebuilts depending on what you are using, maybe it IS low quality metal.

Best of luck figuring it out!

Anna

narrdarr

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
fema region 9
You don't dry burn your coils to clean them?

I use ni80 28x3/40 fused clapton, and I have used the same coil since February on one of my RDAs. I just dry burn when its dirty, brush off the ash, wash and dry, then rewick and I'm all set for about 3-5 days of use.

i only pre-burn so there is no hot spots. I hate the way my vape taste when i dry burn to clean them.

I'm not sure. The common culprits are um, overheating, juices or chain vaping. IDK perhaps the fact that your build is very substantial it sounds like requires more preheating of the coils, but it kind of sounds like you are in middle of the road tendency wattage wise.

Slightly mysterious, I'd try some different wire or prebuilts depending on what you are using, maybe it IS low quality metal.

Best of luck figuring it out!

Anna

maybe its crap wire idk... have to test it guess. i do chain vape. Are there better builds for chain vaping? i've tried
simply spacing the coil out with no luck.

Reactions: stols001

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    UsIng Rayon as wicking may help, or using two mods.?
    i only pre-burn so there is no hot spots. I hate the way my vape taste when i dry burn to clean them.

maybe its crap wire idk... have to test it guess. i do chain vape. Are there better builds for chain vaping? i've tried
    simply spacing the coil out with no luck.
    I

aldenf

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 26, 2014
    NYC, NJ, USA
    Its been awhile since i've been here.
    Anyways lately my Claptons have been gunking really fast like about 10mls of juice and im not sure why.... any ideas?

thanks

So this is something new for you? What's changed? Different batch of wire? Different wicking material? Different juices? New battery(ies)? If this is a new problem and you didn't purposely change any of your build/process, I would try to determine what HAS changed.

Good luck!

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    If you gently burn the coils, to a dull red glow (not visible in direct light) at a very low wattage, you may not disturb the taste. But make sure, after the coils cool down, you brush away the ash and wash the coils off with water to remove anything you burnt off so that you don't have anything that will change the taste. Dry off the atomizer, and re-wick. It is worth a shot at least and could extend the life of your coils exponentially.

narrdarr

ECF Veteran
    Oct 14, 2014
    fema region 9
    UsIng Rayon as wicking may help, or using two mods.?

I

i have been using rayon for about a yr now.

So this is something new for you? What's changed? Different batch of wire? Different wicking material? Different juices? New battery(ies)? If this is a new problem and you didn't purposely change any of your build/process, I would try to determine what HAS changed.

Good luck!

switch to single coil builds and started using clapton coils are the 2 changes. my coils have always for the most part gunked up fast i just dry burned and re wicked alot them alot

If you gently burn the coils, to a dull red glow (not visible in direct light) at a very low wattage, you may not disturb the taste. But make sure, after the coils cool down, you brush away the ash and wash the coils off with water to remove anything you burnt off so that you don't have anything that will change the taste. Dry off the atomizer, and re-wick. It is worth a shot at least and could extend the life of your coils exponentially.

yes correct i have been using this process for a long time since about the time the lemo v1 came out. i'm kind of a nit and even use distilled water when cleaning. Clean my coils isn't the problem its how fast the build up on the coils. The reason for tossing my clapton after 1-2 uses is do to not being able to brush the core wire(s) and the build up stays in the center which makes for a not so pleasant experience.

maybe i'll just go back to a standard 24g k spaced coils. decent vape easy clean.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    i have been using rayon for about a yr now.

switch to single coil builds and started using clapton coils are the 2 changes. my coils have always for the most part gunked up fast i just dry burned and re wicked alot them alot

yes correct i have been using this process for a long time since about the time the lemo v1 came out. i'm kind of a nit and even use distilled water when cleaning. Clean my coils isn't the problem its how fast the build up on the coils. The reason for tossing my clapton after 1-2 uses is do to not being able to brush the core wire(s) and the build up stays in the center which makes for a not so pleasant experience.

maybe i'll just go back to a standard 24g k spaced coils. decent vape easy clean.
    Honestly, it kind of sounds like claptons are not your thing.

I guess my sense of taste is not as sharp as yours, when I dry burn, my coil tastes like the day I originally installed it.

aldenf

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 26, 2014
    NYC, NJ, USA

So, you went from dual-coil, 24g, spaced, round-wire builds to a single, fused-clapton... With your wire and mod choices, I'll guess that you're vaping TC. (Nice mod, BTW.) Regardless of TC or power modes, you're probably putting the same amount of power through the single capton as you did the duals. I'm sure you know that there is little/no current running through the 40g wrap. All heat must radiate from the 2-wire core. The single fused-clapton is going to cool slower than dual round-wire builds. It's simply a matter of mass. My theory consists of your clapton staying hotter for a longer period of time, allowing un-vaped juice to collect and crud on the coil. Try extending your draw a second or two after letting go of the fire button. This will cool the coil faster and reduce build-up.

You can also try ditching the outer wraps and twisting the 28g SS tightly (with a drill). This will reduce the surface area from the clapton a bit, but should reduce build-up as well. Perhaps a happy medium for you. The twisted wire should clean up better for you. Besides, twisting wire is a heck of a lot easier than wrapping fused claptons. ;)

Good luck!

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
    Jul 2, 2018
    Switzerland
    I have had the same probably with KA1 coils when I switched to Power Curves (a setting in Arctic Fox, for those who don’t know). I was using a “Cooldown” Curve, starting with 100% power (33-37 Watts), going gradually down to 75% of that within two seconds (the average duration of my puffs). By using that curve, my coils gunked up and produced a horrible, bitter flavor within about 6 ml of juice vaped. It was so disgusting that I didn’t even bother cleaning it and junked it immediately, but the new one gunked up just as quickly. Before using power curves, with EVERYTHING else the same, I could go for two weeks with same coil and wick, and it still tasted ok. Any explanation for this?
    (I switched to NI200 and TC now, no change in taste for three days).

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread