Cologne / Perfume taste on e liquids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bored2Tears

Verified Member
Sep 26, 2014
Western South Dakota
Hello all. I am fairly new to vaping...a little over one month. Only smoked one cigarette since I started vaping. So, it's working for me ...but I'm having trouble finding juices that I can stand.

I've tried over 15 different flavors, from about 6 or 7 companies. Most of the flavors seem to have a perfume/ cologne taste to them.

I definitely like cinnamon.

If I want to avoid the cologne/perfume/ chemical tastes.....what companies / flavors to avoid. (Please don't tell me most of them). Of course MT Baker Vapor has attractive prices, and that is a serious consideration for me....but I am finding most of the berry flavors do have that perfume/cologne thing going on . I tried Thug juice and it was like straight up drinking perfume.

Suggestions? I was a menthol smoker. I find most menthol liquids OK, not great replacements for menthol cigarettes...but OK. I've read to try Halo Menthol Ice.
I have one decent B&M store. Tried about 15 flavors they had....and not much interested me there.

If I could just find two or three decent flavors to stick with I will be good. When I stuck just to menthol , I started losing the ability to taste it.

I know flavor is entirely subjective...but are there certain flavors that are going to be prone to that perfumey taste/smell? That pretty much makes me gag.

Centurion

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2011
East Coast USA
When I first started vaping I really didn't believe that steeping was real, but as I came back later to revisit juices I had put away it was evident that steeping was more than a term of marketing art to pacify the customer. The juices will darken and the flavors will change, some becoming more pronounced, others fading into the background, sometimes seeming to blend together in novel ways, or even new flavors that were not there at all will seem to evolve as it ages. That perfume aspect to ejuice flavor, when present, responds well to steeping and I've found that it fades over time. My suggestion for the juices you already have is to sit them on the shelf for a month and see if they taste better then. They well may.

I prefer juice that has a more natural flavor, more like food, less like fragrance. I tend to stay away from fruit flavors, and from chocolate, because the former always tastes like overpowering perfume to me and the latter is just seemingly near impossible to get right. If you're looking for a cinnamon I'd recommend Nicoticket's Grandma's Cinnamon Danish.

Steeldragon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2011
Orlando, FL
I have to agree the the higher end vendors that mix on demand I haven't found the perfume tastes in them. I use an ECF vender Mr E's Liquids and vape his ice collection which mixes menthol with various flavors. My wife vapes the napalm from him but make sure you use a glass tank or clearomizer because that flavor is not nice on plastic

Bored2Tears

Verified Member
Sep 26, 2014
Western South Dakota
Thanks for the responses. I'll admit I got a bit anxious and vaped some stuff before the recommended steep time. Maybe it triggered flavor memory, or I still haven't let them steep long enough. I went back to them two weeks later and still taste the heavy perfume. I will shelf them longer and see what happens.

I did notice the cinnamon flavors didn't have a chemical taste at all, but they definitely got more "vapable" after a couple weeks. The hit was too heavy initially and produced an uncontrollable coughing fit.

Need to try more premium vendors I guess.....and stop being so cheap....but reduced expense over cigarettes was a big reason I am vaping.

Bored2Tears

Verified Member
Sep 26, 2014
Western South Dakota
Can anyone comment on how the nicotine content in the juice affects the flavor? I've mostly been vaping 12 mg nic, 50/50 pg to vg liquids. I've noticed that the higher pg seems to taste better to me, but I've been varying brands/ flavors/ nic levels so it's hard to sort out what is affecting what.

Will nicotine contribute to a perfume flavor if not steeping long enough? Or is it purely flavoring that brings on the chemical tastes?

Traijan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2014
USA
Besides what I'm currently vaping ("Hot Cin" a red hot cinnamon candy flavor) one of the few liquids I've found that doesn't taste floral or like perfume is Cuttwoods "Sugarbear"which i find really nice, it's sort of like a teddy ghram cookie and carmalized sugar flavor to me. It's probably my second favorite flavored e liquid.

I can say that to me the Space Jam liquids all have a rather floral or perfumey type of flavor that i really dislike.

Last edited:

da_kimster

Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Near Seattle
I'm in the same boat as you, I hate the uber sweet, perfumey juices. I almost quit vaping b/c I couldn't find juices that I didn't despise.

I finally found a few that I dearly love, they aren't overly sweet and there is no perfume taste. I personally like complex flavors and I sometimes like a complex tobacco flavor.

I found that Queenside (5 pawns) is awesome. Also, Sunset Cavendish, Simmered Belgian Tobacco and Toasted Amber Tobacco are incredible juices from Hurricane Vapor. They also make a papaya milkshake that is awesome, along with one called Apricot Horchata (odd, I know, but incredible).

These juices are on the expensive side, but without them I wouldn't be vaping at all. Still, I'll gladly pay $29 for 30 ml of 5 Pawns rather than buy 18 packs of cigarettes. A 30ml bottle will last me 3 weeks. That's $10 a week. I'm good with that!

Good luck! You can buy samples from Hurricane Vapor at a really reasonable rate. They are quick to ship too.

Centurion

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2011
East Coast USA
The higher the nicotine content, the worse it will taste. Nicotine quality and relative lack of taste varies a lot from vendor to vendor and really clean nicotine will be not very detectable but people do describe a peppery taste which is really your lips and tongue getting numb from the nicotine. For me that's anything above about 18 mg. Low quality nicotine will taste like someone did an extraction of an ashtray full of cigarette butts. As it ages it will darken and some say it doesn't affect the taste but I disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread