Colourings in E-liquid

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Sometimes different flavors are different colors (like, darker for example). With that said, there are also juice makers that use coloring in their e-liquid I think? I'm not a fan of the practice, it just adds an extra ingredient to gunk coils and that I am not entirely sure are safe to vape (though I think if there were a HUGE problem, we'd be likely to have heard about it.

I DIY e-liquid, and most of mine ends up either clear, or slightly yellowish. Age can also cause e-liquids to darken, but I don't know what would cause a blue tint other than food coloring.

Hope this helps, you can always ask juice companies beforehand if they use coloring in any of their particular juices.

Anna

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
.......Are colourings used and if so why?

Yes, food colorings are often used in e-juice and concentrated flavorings. Why? Because people expect/desire the chemical mixture to "look" like the natural flavor it's replicating. Makes it more appealing to consumers. Synthetic flavorings are actually proprietary chemical formulas that mimic natural flavors. Strawberry flavor can be imitated by mixing a dozen or more chemicals together with ethyl methylphenylglycidate often being the primary component. Then of course you add some FD&C Red No. 40 food coloring (Disodium 6-hydroxy-5-[(2-methoxy-5-methyl-4-sulfophenyl)azo]-2-naphthalenesulfonate) and it looks like.... strawberry. It's not just e-liquids, most processed food and beverages use artificial flavors and coloring.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Why do e-liquids have different colours. I bought some Heisenburg Icy Cool Blueberries. It's blue, not clear or yellow. Are colourings used and if so why?

Sounds like it.

And why someone would add them is Beyond me? I mean, people are going to Heat this stuff up and then put it Into Their Lungs. Right?

Why would Anyone want to Vape added Colourants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread