combo LED/switch sticking

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLizinator

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
I threw a 5 volt box mod together this afternoon; went together smooth & clean, then I realized this switch is sticking. If I only press it lightly, it does fine, but if pressed down all the way it stays on.

Anybody have issues with these? Is there something I can do to prevent it from sticking? There's a spring inside, you can see it when the light is on.
Got it from madvapes, it's a "Panel Mount Switch with Green LED".

Liz in Indy

TheLizinator

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
Well I know what I would do. Wack it a good one and see if that fixes it. Fixed my sticky switch issue.
Or I might have just got lucky.

Hahaha, the high tech approach! Well, I just might try that. I did drop it and the thought flashed through my mind that maybe that's what it needed. Nope, it didn't do anything to it, still nice and sticky. I like the combo light/switch. I have a spare but wanted to save it for a second box I'm making for someone. It does seem like a mechanical thing, not some wonked-out electronic hex I put on it with my soldering iron LOL

Liz

Sci

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2009
Al
I threw a 5 volt box mod together this afternoon; went together smooth & clean, then I realized this switch is sticking. If I only press it lightly, it does fine, but if pressed down all the way it stays on.

Anybody have issues with these? Is there something I can do to prevent it from sticking? There's a spring inside, you can see it when the light is on.
Got it from Madvapes, it's a "Panel Mount Switch with Green LED".

Liz in Indy

What did you use to secure it to the box(epoxy, etc.)? It's possible something got in it. If so, just keep pressing it & see if it loosens up. Connman's way is a 50/50 shot.:) Also, make sure that nothing in the box is binding against it.

TheLizinator

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
I didn't use anything to attach it since it has a "keyhole" thingy on it, it just snaps into the hole and locks. The soldering points on it are clean and precise, only took a few seconds to solder up all four points, so I can't imagine there were any lingering effects from that. It's just plain sticky and I'm sure it has to do with that spring inside sticking against something. I'm trying to resist taking it apart since everything else fell into place (let sleeping dogs lie). Don't want to vex the vaping gods.

Liz

Sci

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2009
Al
I didn't use anything to attach it since it has a "keyhole" thingy on it, it just snaps into the hole and locks. The soldering points on it are clean and precise, only took a few seconds to solder up all four points, so I can't imagine there were any lingering effects from that. It's just plain sticky and I'm sure it has to do with that spring inside sticking against something. I'm trying to resist taking it apart since everything else fell into place (let sleeping dogs lie). Don't want to vex the vaping gods.

Liz

Did you try whacking it?:)

Use the 'contact us' on Mad Vapes web site. He's a good guy & can probably help you out.

TheLizinator

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
Okay, I pulled the switch slightly upward (so it's not locked into the 11/32" hole I drilled for it--it is the same size as a 510 atty connector). Now it's not sticking, so it looks like the locking mechanism in it is somehow crowding that internal spring. Not so great, since it has to be locked in there...

Liz

Sci

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2009
Al
Okay, I pulled the switch slightly upward (so it's not locked into the 11/32" hole I drilled for it--it is the same size as a 510 atty connector). Now it's not sticking, so it looks like the locking mechanism in it is somehow crowding that internal spring. Not so great, since it has to be locked in there...

Liz

Did you file a small slot for the locking mechanism? At least that's what it says on MV. Also, .36" is between 11/32" & 3/8". Go figure.:)

LOL, Connman. What? You get ahold of Dreams peen?

TheLizinator

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
After pulling the LED/switch out of the box (didn't have to disconnect anything), I twisted it slightly counterclockwise, reinserted it, and voila! no more sticking. I think the drilled hole edges were somehow crowding it, pushing the tabs inward and causing the internal spring to catch. All's well that ends well (at least it's vaping like a champ). I like the switch as long as it holds up under use and over time.

Liz in Indy

Sci

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2009
Al
After pulling the LED/switch out of the box (didn't have to disconnect anything), I twisted it slightly counterclockwise, reinserted it, and voila! no more sticking. I think the drilled hole edges were somehow crowding it, pushing the tabs inward and causing the internal spring to catch. All's well that ends well (at least it's vaping like a champ). I like the switch as long as it holds up under use and over time.

Liz in Indy

Glad you found the problem.
Still waiting to see a stained glass PV.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread