Status
Not open for further replies.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    So I found the source of the problems I have with ECF functionality. As I suspected, the problems are indeed related not accepting all cookies in the Cookiebot modal that popped up the day the problems started.

This is the Cookiebot modal...

ukKdhqI.png

The only way to make the Cookiebot modal come back so you can change your cookie preferences for ECF is to either delete your ECF cookies in your browser the restart your browser and visit ECF or to open ECF in a private/incognito browser instance.

If you choose to reject either the Statistics or Marketing cookies (or both) in the Cookiebot modal, it breaks the functionality of ECF's reply boxes and blog post edit box, as I mentioned in this thread.

This happens in Firefox only. Chrome is unaffected regardless of Cookiebot settings, although the problem can surface from time to time in Chrome. But with Chrome, reloading the page solves the problem.

I have tried messing around with Firefox cookie setting (with Cookiebot Marketing and Statistics settings off/rejected) to no avail.

Oh well, at least I know what the problem is and that it's not my system.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    That's something you'll need to pass on to Mozilla and the author of the addon.

Cookiebot isn't a browser addon, it's a service/widget ECF pays for. This explains why I can't replicate this problem with any other Xenforo forums.

GDPR, ePrivacy and CCPA compliant cookies | Cookiebot CMP

If you clear your cookies, or go to ECF in a private browsing session, you see the modal/widget popup in probably any browser Cookiebot is compatible with.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I also was having issues with Firefox and cleared cookies. But I set the Cookiebot up the same way and had the same problem in replying in threads. I've been able to do a work around by selecting "More Options" and this allows me to post reply with this being my first test.

That's the same workaround I've been using. As for editing blog posts, the "work-around" is to keep refreshing the edit page and eventually the edit box will go normal. But that could take over 20 refreshes lol. But that's OK since blog edits aren't frequent.

• Informative
    Reactions: Seiggy

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    As for editing blog posts, the "work-around" is to keep refreshing the edit page and eventually the edit box will go normal. But that could take over 20 refreshes lol. But that's OK since blog edits aren't frequent.
    I don't have a blog here, so I don't know if I would have a similar issue.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Interesting. I have never seen this cookiebot screen. I'm wondering if my ad blocker prevents it from affecting my screen.

Neither AdBlock Plus or Ublock block the Cookiebot modal...for me.

You don't have to clear your cookies for it to show. Just open ECF in a FF private browser window.

I did install FF for Android tonight and everything was fine even with marketing and statistics cookies denied. But FF for mobile is very different to FF for desktop so that's not surprising.

It's definitely not an addon I have because I checked it in FF Safe Mode (no addons) and then completely removed and reinstalled FF then tried on a completely vanilla FF install (no addons and stock settings).

It's possible that at some point either a Cookiebot or FF update will fix this.

I briefly searched Cookiebot's forum and didn't see any complaints about this exact issue. I did see one issue where the solution was to place the Cookiebot script path in the header of the site before any other JS scripts, but looking at the source code of any ECF page, this doesn't appear to be the problem.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    I briefly searched Cookiebot's forum and didn't see any complaints about this exact issue.
    I briefly searched thru their forum as well. I'll try again tomorrow, well later today.., using some different keywords. I did see a few posts, actually the links to the posts in a result page, about forms not working correctly if all cookies were not accepted, but I didn't read any of the posts. It's bed time for me.

• Informative
    Reactions: UncLeJunkLe

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I briefly searched thru their forum as well. I'll try again tomorrow, well later today.., using some different keywords. I did see a few posts, actually the links to the posts in a result page, about forms not working correctly if all cookies were not accepted, but I didn't read any of the posts. It's bed time for me.

Did you ever do any more research into this @somdcomputerguy

Reactions: DavidOck

GeekyGeezer

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2015
    Flyover Central
    Switching to the "ECF" style skin seems to have solved this issue for me. I prefer the
    "E-CigaretteForum" default style skin, but no biggie.

Very strange things going on with the migration. That is exactly the opposite of what it took for me to avoid the endless text and get something that looked familiar.

Firefox here also, made the same cookie choices you did. Like you, I was sure the formatting mess was due to the cookies, but changing away from ECF style worked. The most frustrating part was that I could not find a way to access the cookies again so I could change them back. Turned out I didn't need to.

I know they have their hands full right now, but I'd suggest that if some sort of settings are getting made, users be provided with a way to access them from ECF itself.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    The most frustrating part was that I could not find a way to access the cookies again so I could change them back. Turned out I didn't need to.

You can get the Cookiebot settings manager to come back by deleting your browser's cookies.

Alternatively you can open ECF in a private browsing session, log in and the Cookiebot manager will appear. Then close the private browser, go back to your regular browser and refresh ECF.

I think ECF should ditch the cookiebot service. I bet it's causing more problems than just what I have experienced. I guess maybe cookiebot and Xenforo may not be a great match?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread