Crius wicking??

Status
Not open for further replies.

matholland618

Oct 13, 2014
eld
Hey guys! I have been using my Goliath v2 for a while and love the tank except for filling it with juice is a pain and it has a small tank.

I stumbled across the Crius V3 with the velocity deck. It looked super nice, looked like it was easier to build on than the Goliath, had top fill and you could also screw the tank off without draining the juice, not to mention it has a bigger tank than the goliath.

The design of the tank, I am in love with. I have always ran a dual 8 wrap 24awg in my goliath and run it at 42 watts all day and never get a dry hit.

I put the same build in my Crius, and gosh, I cannot get it to wick right. Starts to taste like cotton, like it just isn't wicking well at all. So I tried less cotton and tried a 10 wrap 24awg thinking that should help out. I seem to be able to vape on it alright around 25-30 watts but if I put it on 40, it still doesn't wick right...I feel like I am using the right amount of cotton. I am using rayon, have tried filling the holes, halfway filling the holes, nothing seems to be working for me.

I don't have a picture right now, but I can get a picture of my build in a few hours when I go to lunch.

Tory

Dec 29, 2015
Hey guys! I have been using my Goliath v2 for a while and love the tank except for filling it with juice is a pain and it has a small tank.

I stumbled across the Crius V3 with the velocity deck. It looked super nice, looked like it was easier to build on than the Goliath, had top fill and you could also screw the tank off without draining the juice, not to mention it has a bigger tank than the goliath.

The design of the tank, I am in love with. I have always ran a dual 8 wrap 24awg in my goliath and run it at 42 watts all day and never get a dry hit.

I put the same build in my Crius, and gosh, I cannot get it to wick right. Starts to taste like cotton, like it just isn't wicking well at all. So I tried less cotton and tried a 10 wrap 24awg thinking that should help out. I seem to be able to vape on it alright around 25-30 watts but if I put it on 40, it still doesn't wick right...I feel like I am using the right amount of cotton. I am using rayon, have tried filling the holes, halfway filling the holes, nothing seems to be working for me.

I don't have a picture right now, but I can get a picture of my build in a few hours when I go to lunch.

Ok so after several profanities and a couple scrapped builds (due to my own clumsiness) I think I've got it. I did follow the TVC video as far as wicking is concerned. I did a dual 24g 6or7 wrap on a 2.5mm reading at .21 and running at 67watts. Wicked with just average Japanese organic cotton pads peeled apart and rolled. After its juiced make sure to push in the wicks a smidge otherwise it'll flood a bit. Juice im running is mango boba. Its keeping up with my chain vaping. Hope this helps you out.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
I'm not real good at this as you can tell from my pictures but thought I would post my method of building the Crius. I build using 24ga, 7 wraps. I large paperclip works pretty well to fill the channels, I have a dental tool that is perfect.

I can chain vape this build and since moving to it, no dry hits or flooding. The key is not packing the channels, full but nice and loose.

Sorry for the crappy photos but I thought this may help some folks.

crius.png

matholland618

Oct 13, 2014
eld
I built a 5 wrap 24 gauge around a 2.5mm rod and wicked it with a little bit of cotton in the wells and trimmed the rest and let it lay on top of it. Prior to this, I have just been trimming it all up. At 40 watts, it has been keeping up so it seems. Haven't vaped heavily with it as this was last night when I messed with it after work. I don't like the 5 wrap as well as I like the 6-7 wrap 24 gauge, so I may end up taking this build out and putting in a 6-7 wrap.

I guess it was somewhat of a good night, because none the less I didn't seem to get any dry hits last night or this morning when I used it on my short drive to work. Thanks again for all of the suggestions...I was about to throw the dang thing out I was getting so frustrated with it.

Heck I thought the Goliath was a little tough to wick, but this one definitely beats it lol.

valiantized

Dec 2, 2015
i just received my crius v3 today.
hit it with dual ss316L coils 26 awg, 2mm dia., 8wraps.
fill it with 70:30 VG: PG ratio liquid.
no leak at all, perfect flavor.

my wicking method is very simple. just trim the tails short enough so they only hanging on the juice grooves.
you should not see the wicks if you put the base back.

i can't imagine how many cottons i have to trim if i use 2.5mm diameter.
with 2mm diameter, i trim A LOT so it can fit to the juice holes.

*added pic
20160105_222505.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: matholland618

matholland618

Oct 13, 2014
eld
i just received my crius v3 today.
hit it with dual ss316L coils 26 awg, 2mm dia., 8wraps.
fill it with 70:30 VG: PG ratio liquid.
no leak at all, perfect flavor.

my wicking method is very simple. just trim the tails short enough so they only hanging on the juice grooves.
you should not see the wicks if you put the base back.

i can't imagine how many cottons i have to trim if i use 2.5mm diameter.
with 2mm diameter, i trim A LOT so it can fit to the juice holes.

*added pic
View attachment 520326

This must be my issue. I have 1 that I can't see with the deck on and it bubbles like crazy. I'm not getting dry hits but I only have 1 sometimes 2 holes bubbling. So it seems that you just want a little bit of cotton in the holes but not touching the deck?

valiantized

Dec 2, 2015
This must be my issue. I have 1 that I can't see with the deck on and it bubbles like crazy. I'm not getting dry hits but I only have 1 sometimes 2 holes bubbling. So it seems that you just want a little bit of cotton in the holes but not touching the deck?
yup!
careful don't put it too long if you don't want catch dryhit.

adjust the length according to your liquid thickness (PG/VG ratio).
thinner liquid = longer tail

Reactions: matholland618

matholland618

Oct 13, 2014
eld
I'm running 100% vg juice in mine. I put in a 7 wrap 24 and wicked like you mentioned and I have all bubbles going and its keeping up chain vaping at 50 and 55w. I run my Goliath v2 at 40-42 anything beyond that it starts to get warm, and past 48ish it will start dry hitting with the same build.

Goliath I love, just don't like the lack of top fill and the super small tank. I felt like the Crius fixed all of these issues that I had with the Goliath. Granted I'm keeping both now.

I wicked to where it filled about half of the hole on all of them, put it on and gave it a run, and I was impressed.

Marc411, what vg juice are you using? Maybe since I am running 100% then its why I was having issues filling all of the hole? I've not had any issues with flooding yet thankfully!

Thanks valiantized, your suggestion got me going!

Reactions: valiantized

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I'm running 100% vg juice in mine. I put in a 7 wrap 24 and wicked like you mentioned and I have all bubbles going and its keeping up chain vaping at 50 and 55w. I run my Goliath v2 at 40-42 anything beyond that it starts to get warm, and past 48ish it will start dry hitting with the same build.

Goliath I love, just don't like the lack of top fill and the super small tank. I felt like the Crius fixed all of these issues that I had with the Goliath. Granted I'm keeping both now.

I wicked to where it filled about half of the hole on all of them, put it on and gave it a run, and I was impressed.

Marc411, what vg juice are you using? Maybe since I am running 100% then its why I was having issues filling all of the hole? I've not had any issues with flooding yet thankfully!

Thanks valiantized, your suggestion got me going!
The Goliath v2 is fairly easy to top fill, I do it all the time. Just close the juice flow, remove the top cap (the glass should hold in place well with the bottom o-ring), fill, screw the top cap on about half way and turn upside down, open the juice control and close the top cap the rest of the way.

Now if I could only get the Goliath to stop leaking (it doesn't leak when top filling, but does in use).

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

dampfan

Jan 3, 2016
Germany
hi matholland618,

i have two Criuses, one in white, one stainless steel.
I love them both.

As cotton i prefer ordinary bio/organic cotton (the one you get cheaply in each drug store/store for women's make up). it performs for me much better than e.g. Fibre Freaks original or cotton blend, and has a more neutral taste.
I found out, that the art to wick the Crius well is:
- using spaced coils
- wicking the cotton the right way.

My right way:
I often used to much cotton, what is mistake no. 1.
Too much cotton means worse juice supply. It seems if the cotton is too dense, juice flow gets worse.

Mistake no 2 is to put too much cotton into the liquid channels.
Now i usually cut the cotton ends of the wicking to a triangle peak, the long and thin part I do put into the liquid channels, so that the channels are get not blocked all, so that there is just a little bit of cotton in the liquid channels but not filling the channels. the main part of the cotton i just place on the top of the liquid channels.

I usually use AWG 27 or 28 kanthal wire on the Crius and coils with 2.5 mm inner diameter and 6 to 8 windings. what usually ends up from 0.3 to 0.5 ohms. my personal sweet spot usually is between 31 and 35 watts for the Crius.

In my humble opinion the Crius is the RTA with the best flavor in 2015 in his price range.

No dry hits, just no flavor and no air bubbles

This i always got on the Crius when using too much cotton and/or putting (better: pressing) too much cotton into the liquid channels.
Less cotton and the sun of flavor rises :)

Reactions: MMW
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread