Current flow

Status
Not open for further replies.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
I always wondered where the current flows through in a Clapton coil (or any other coil that consists of multiple wires). I always thought that electricity is using the past of least resistance, and if that was true, it should only flow through the wire that has less resistance, not both of them.
Turns out I was wrong, here’s a quote from an electronics forum:

“"The popular notion that current follows the path of least resistance just isn’t true. Current follows the paths of all resistances in proportion to their conductance."”

so it would seem that current does flow through both wires :)

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
exotic.jpg

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
I think maybe the right way to say it simply is that more current will flow on the path with the least resistance i guess?

In vaping with contact coils we can see why this can be a problem tho when we get hotspots when the current jumps from one wrap to another taking the shorter path of least resistance making it get hotter in that part of the coil.

borno

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2019
land of pleasant living
It doesn't matter what kind of coil (resistor) you have installed in an RBA. Current (I) will flow through the entire coil (R) {and circuit} when energy (V) is applied. Like so:

Yeah Kirkoff ! :)

View attachment 970525

A coil is a very simple resistor. Ohm's (Ω) are it's known value.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
Somewhere, Robert Gair is Smiling.

LOL

BTW - Here is something else to Think about.

Although maybe Not before one has had their Mourning Coffee.

Excellent video. I waited until I was sufficiently caffeinated before watching. FWIW, I did not select the correct answer.

You might appreciate this one.

Reactions: zoiDman

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
I always wondered where the current flows through in a Clapton coil (or any other coil that consists of multiple wires).

You can think of it like a multiple wall outlet. As you can plug in more than one load at a time. You can plug in say a 15A device and even a 0.25A device at the same time. Every device you add are all in parallel connected to each other.

Same with say a Clapton coil. Each wire is connected in parallel to the source. But the core is usually thicker than the wrap and the wrap is often dozens the length of the core wire. So what does this mean? The core gets far more current than the wrap. The wrap itself (the resistance is very high) doesn't get enough current to even get up to vaping temperatures. So the core creates most of the heat and the wrap very little.

But the nifty thing of the wrap is, that it helps as a wick and as a radiator for the core. And frankly, it works very well. :D

• Agree
Reactions: ShowMeTwice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread