Status
Not open for further replies.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Pros you will like the mod better. Cons you drill it to big and it sucks. You slip with the drill bit and get a big scratch. The hole looks funky after you drill it.
If you make it to big you can always fill the hole with JB weld and redrill a little smaller. Its really up to you each person is different with how they like their hole;-) no pun intended.

Veezy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
California
Pros you will like the mod better. Cons you drill it to big and it sucks. You slip with the drill bit and get a big scratch. The hole looks funky after you drill it.
If you make it to big you can always fill the hole with JB weld and redrill a little smaller. Its really up to you each person is different with how they like their hole;-) no pun intended.

LOL!! haha that was hilarious.
cool well can you explain what people really drill it out for? I know for air flow but does it impact your vapor production?

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
It dose a little but if its to arry its not good then you get less vapor its kind of like poking a hole in a cigarette with a needle if that makes since.
I like when they make a small hole then you can open it up more to your liking rather than be stuck with a airy draw like a Zen. Id go to a metal shop someplace that has metric drill bits and find one that just fits then buy the next 3 sizes up increase slowly. Give it a tank of vaping before you move up again then youll dial in what you want. Its a fine line between just right and darn it I ruined it!

Veezy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
California
awesome thanks for the info i went ahead and drilled a 1/16 hole. the hole was just a tad bit smaller than the bit almost able to push it through if i put enough pressure but definitely it made a bigggg difference the draw is much easier and my throat hit isnt as harsh and seems like im getting more vapor :) im a happy camper! haha thanks so much! really appreciate your help!!

ph0kused

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Orange County, CA, USA
LOL!! haha that was hilarious.
cool well can you explain what people really drill it out for? I know for air flow but does it impact your vapor production?

My vapor production increased by 100% after drilling out my holes even wider!!!

My situation...

I bought a nimbus, running dual coils. I bought it at a vape shop called Empire Vape in Norco, CA (awesome place). THe guy drilled out the stock holes for me, a very small amount. I noticed that when running it at .8 ohms - .6 ohms it gets CRAZYYYY hot - then i started worrying about heat & battery.

So I drilled out my airholes (yes both holes) to 3/32 with a drill bit. Just a normal power drill, and an old ... one for that matter! lol the drill was made in probably 1976. New drill bits though, that's important.

I had my friend take a pair of pliers, lined the inside of the pliers w/ cut out square of fabric... just so the teeth of the pliers wouldn't scratch my pretty nimbus.

Then while putting my weight into it, I let the drill start humming. It took awhile, maybe 2 full minutes of drilling to punch through it. Like I said, my power drill was made in the 70's.

But it was super easy, no scratches - the only downside I've found to using a power drill over something like a dremmel is that, after you drill through the holes, some of the metal around the holes is kind of jagged... no big deal though. My nimbus looks like it came w/ 3/32 holes drilled in it now.

Result:
3/32 holes are PERFECT! I think at least, a real airy draw, but not too airy like you're sucking through a straw. My RDA stays really cool now, even after chain vaping for an hour. No longer have to worry about heat transferring from the RDA to my battery.

Like the people on the EC FOrum have said before - start with small holes, see how hot it's getting - and move up if you need too. My friends have 1/8 size holes drilled out, but that's too airy for my liking.

Important note: If you're running 1.5ohms of higher, you do not need to drill your holes out. From my experience, bigger holes really only make a noticable difference when you're vaping below 1.0 ohms. Check out this youtuber's channel: McVapes. His video on Resistance and Airflow was an eye-opener. He also has a video on batteries - every newbie should go watch it.

However, if you vape around 1.5 ohms to 2.0+ohms, and want to drill your holes out - you're not doing anything negative to your device, it's just not as beneficial at that resistance than compared to 1.0 ohms or lower. And when I say 1.0 ohms or lower, I'm talking numerical values, not resistance =)

Hope my experience has helped somebody.

Last edited:

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Next time you go to Harbor Freight pick up a 30 Piece HSS Mini Drill Set

It has the following sizes: 0.5MM, 0.6MM, 0.8MM, 1.0MM, 1.2MM, 1.5MM, 1.8MM, 2.0MM, 2.35MM, 3.0MM

Oh, yay. Just what I needed... a suggestion to make another trip to Harbor Freight.

I swear, I go to that place for one thing and always come back with about 341 other things.

I opened up the air slots on a throwaway clearo that had an impossibly tight draw. It worked wonders. Like Buzz said, measure once and cut/drill two or three times.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread