Status
Not open for further replies.

totaltechsvc

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
www.cravinvapes.com
Thanks WillyB and asdaq. Oh yeah the vice suctions to the countertop but it has to be cleaned up for it to work though :laugh: I recommend if anyone is not comfortable with any of the steps to practice safety first. That does look unsafe asdaq, here we have this store called harbor freight that sells cheap tools and thats where that dremel tool came from with attachments for $5. You get what you pay for, though it gets the job done, I could stop the wheel with my hand without a scratch. Time to clean that room up and countertop.

totaltechsvc

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
www.cravinvapes.com
The first one I purchased was chrome plated brass (you can see the brass in this picture) attyconnector.jpg .
The second one that I did the write up on was aluminum. Im going to swing by the first CVS around the corner from my house to see which ones they carry now. I tend to like the aluminum one beter for its weight.

Last edited:

johnlacie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2011
-
How do these upside down genys not leak out all of their liquid? Shouldn't it just all come out of the wick and go everywhere?

Simple, the liquid is kept inside due to vacuum. As long as there is no hole other than through the wick, air would not come in and displace the liquid inside. The trick is to make the wire mesh wick fill enough of the hole to prevent leaking while not in use and allow the liquid flow when in use.

Rothman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2010
Aviano, Italy
Simple, the liquid is kept inside due to vacuum. As long as there is no hole other than through the wick, air would not come in and displace the liquid inside. The trick is to make the wire mesh wick fill enough of the hole to prevent leaking while not in use and allow the liquid flow when in use.

Makes sense but, what about all of the micro holes in the mesh? Isnt that enough to let air in and liquid out at the same time? Obviously it works, I'm just having a heck of a time wrapping my head around it. Is it due to the viscosity of the liquid versus the small size of the holes in the mesh that allow this to work?

totaltechsvc

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
www.cravinvapes.com
Viscosity & vacuum both I believe. Its like if you take a 10ml eliquid bottle and turn it upside down you can see there is a hole but it doesn't pore out. when I take the top off of the tank to refill while its on the unit a few drops will come out onto the mesh, I then dab it with a paper towel so its not flooded before I put it back together. Thanks for the comments on youtube I have the aluminum one sitting with liquid in it (KVS Madhatter) to see if a residue or corrosion occurs. I will update this thread with pics/findings in 2 weeks.

Rothman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2010
Aviano, Italy
Here are some pics of the Suckaton auto feeder I was making after about a month of being exposed to liquid. I did machine the outside diameters down so that may have aided the process a bit. The pics aren't great but I hope you can see all the gunk and white corrosion that has formed around the top and bottom. The sides are also a bit crusty.

IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

totaltechsvc

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
www.cravinvapes.com
yep its the aluminum one, You have to be on to something about the oxide layer. I haven't been using it since Ive been making some dripping/bottom feeder Genny attys. Ill be starting a new post on those soon but, fortunately my brother is getting good use out of it and kicked his 20yr pack and half a day habit.
genesisbottomfeeder.jpg

Last edited:

bluegrasslover

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2011
Willow Spring, NC
Maybe someone has a suggestion for me. I made one of these but I drilled a bigger hole on top and use an ego tank with it. I drilled a 1/16" hole for the air intake. Without the cover and tank it appears to be steaming really good. But put together I don't get near the vapor I would think or like. My voltage/ohms are right where I want them so that's not it. This is the first ss wick type setup I've ever used so a little lost. Any suggestions?

totaltechsvc

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
www.cravinvapes.com
Bluegrass, Depending on your ohms and voltage. What I think might be happening is the T-tank air inlets are not getting all the vapor. Is the drilled air inlet hole below the tank but lined up with the coil with no obstructions? If so try just dripping a few drops on it and put a b type drip tip or something on it to see how much vapor your getting. I made something similar before this mod out of an RCA connector with a t-tank and experienced the same thing. I tried to widen the inlets on the tank and ruined it and gave up on that one.

bluegrasslover

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2011
Willow Spring, NC
Bluegrass, Depending on your ohms and voltage. What I think might be happening is the T-tank air inlets are not getting all the vapor. Is the drilled air inlet hole below the tank but lined up with the coil with no obstructions? If so try just dripping a few drops on it and put a b type drip tip or something on it to see how much vapor your getting. I made something similar before this mod out of an RCA connector with a t-tank and experienced the same thing. I tried to widen the inlets on the tank and ruined it and gave up on that one.

I am running around 2.5-3 ohms on a lavatube so I should be good there. The hole is as you described. I drlled another smaller hole on the other side of the fob and it seems even worse now. I am about ready to throw in the towel on this myself.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Gabe1291

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2010
Charlotte, NC
www.myspace.com
Thanks for this post and the tutorial total, this was very helpful!! :toast:

I had been trying to cast caps and make a simple genesis style atty to use for a while now, but my fabrication abilities are worse than my modding ones, lol. This finally got me a working genesis that actually looks good on my PV for a change. the only complication I ran into was that I left the tall RCA post too long for me to put the tank on, so I bought an identical one at Wallgreens and made a T-tank cap for it as well.

BTW, you can increase the airflow through the t-tank cart, just take a large straight pin or small flat-head screw driver and stick it in the opening and wiggle it around to deform the outer plastic a bit, or use an exacto knife and notch a small V-shape in the outer plastic to make it a bit larger.

Here are the pics of what I managed to build....

Bare Atty.jpg Normal Top.jpg Ttank Top.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread