• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Daggerfall players, where art thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tendril

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2010
USA - Illinois
For those who don't know, Daggerfall is the second game in the Elder Scrolls series (later followed by Morrowind and Oblivion). It was originally released in 96 and was released by Bethesda for free in '09. If you want to play, download DaggerfallSetup for an automated XP-friendly install. If you do do this, post here and I'll give you some tips on graphics tweaks

daggerfalltavernsign.jpg

It isn't as pretty as the (now) less-obscure games of the series but much larger (750,000+ NPCs, 15,000+ towns & dungeons) and more complex. It can be annoying as hell but I love it

Tendril

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2010
USA - Illinois
I cant remember. But I do remember the days of starting the game in dos. lol.

I'm interested to hear if DaggerfallSetup works on Windows 7 if you're still interested in the game.

If it does work, to improve the graphics open up the DosBox.conf file in your /Bethesda/Daggerfall directory with a text editor

Scroll down to

fullscreen=(Whatever it says here)

and replace it with

fullscreen=true

And also

fullresolution=(Whatever it says here)

and replace it with

fullresolution=1366x768 (or whatever your desktop screen resolution is)

Just below there you will see, and for improved graphics should change

output=(Again, whatever it says here)

replace that with

output=opengl (this may vary based on your video card but I think most support OpenGL these days)

While you're at it, scroll further down and you will see

scaler=(Whatever it says here)

and replace it with

scaler=3xsai

This final setting will make the game look much better and this filter will allow you to fullscreen in widescreen (as opposed to the 2xsai usually recommended).

DaggerfallSetup uses DosBox and with DosBox you can hit Alt and Enter at the same time to switch between fullscreen and 320x200

With each new game you create save the file and then modify it with the Eye of Argonia program (included with DaggerfallSetup) to max out the draw distance

I also find that remapping the controls drastically improves gameplay for me. I use WASD controls with mouse look enabled. Also, I find melee much easier if I just keep the right mouse button held down while I slash instead of repeatedly depressing and releasing the RMB with each stroke

Tendril

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2010
USA - Illinois
I used to spend hours on end playing it... Until I would hit the inevitable quest-crippling bug that would cause me to not complete it, and then lose all my rep with the faction...

Games, like cars and relationships, are all the more fun when you know any moment that they could fall apart :lol:

Tendril

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2010
USA - Illinois
Funny story though... what initially got me into the game as a pubescent adolescent was the fact that it was the first non- Leisure Suit Larry game I ever played that featured nudity :)

Haha awesome :D I haven't played any of the leisure suit larry games since MCL came out ... and wasn't very good. Some of the LSL games did have some nice pixels

images

I used to play Bar Games when my age was in the 1digits for the wet t-shirt contest :lol:

bar_games_03.png

(both images are from separate sites, not my own)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread