Damaged mod/battery questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

burningace766

Nov 17, 2017
i just purchased a therion 75c bf ,and while putting the battery in (which is very difficult to do) ,the negative end of the battery made contact with its proper connecter but was on an angle and it also briefly touched the squonk pin inside the mod.When it did this it arched for a seccond.I checked the battery voltage and it was normal,and the mod seems to work fine but is it possible it could be damaged or dangerous now ?thanks anyone who can help me

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
I know what you're saying, I don't think I've ever seen mine arc, it can be a challenge getting that battery in.

In any event I'm fairly certain the mod should be ok, as for the battery I wouldn't think it's harmed if the wrap is fine and the voltage checks.

burningace766

Nov 17, 2017
I'd rekey more on those that know batteries better than I.

As for the mod I don't think you caused any harm. Do you have more than one battery?
I'd put a different one in the modand try it.
Being regulated it will work or if won't.
I (probably not a good idea at all but I wasn’t thinking)put the battery in the mod earlier and they both work fine but I didn’t know if it could have blown a fuse or something in the mod that I wouldn’t be able to know about until I had a short circuit or something.Its working great but I don’t know if there could be hidden damage

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Hi, welcome to ECF, your mod and battery should be fine but it was wise to ask the question especially if you are a new user. I'm in agreement that if the battery had shorted, you would have trashed it already, and if the mod is working fine, it sounds like there was no damage. I wouldn't worry about it but it's always good to ask and be on the safe side (there aren't holes in the wrap from the spark or anything, though, right? If there are you may need to rewrap that battery which is fairly easy to do... :)

Good luck and welcome, hope you continue to enjoy vaping! :)

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: Baditude

ExtremeDooty

ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2017
Michigan
You also don't have to worry about the blown fuse. I'm not sure there are any fuses in these mods. But if there are fuses and you managed to blow one, the mod wouldn't turn on or at least some functions wouldn't be working. It's also a very good idea to ask about anything you're not sure of. That's how most of us learned.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Let me tag @Mooch, our resident battery expert, to wade in with his opinion on that battery.

The problem with batteries is most of the "important stuff" is on the inside of the can where you can't see it. There "could" be damage that isn't readily apparent visually on the outside.

You can measure the voltage to indicate if it is within normal range (3.4 - 4.2 volts), and inspect for burnt markings that often come from electrical arcing or melting of the insulation wrap. You might have witnessed some venting of gas from the top of the battery, or felt some unusual heat from the battery.

Mooch did an excellent explanation of the two main events that can happen to an abused battery -- venting and thermal runaway -- in the below article:

Last edited:

burningace766

Nov 17, 2017
Let me tag @Mooch, our resident battery expert, to wade in with his opinion on that battery.

The problem with batteries is most of the "important stuff" is on the inside of the can where you can't see it. There "could" be damage that isn't readily apparent visually.

You can measure the voltage to indicate if it is within normal range (3.4 - 4.2 volts), and inspect for burnt markings that often come from electrical arcing. You might have witnessed some venting of gas from the top of the battery, or felt some unusual heat from the battery.

Mooch did an excellent explanation of the two main events that can happen to an abused battery -- venting and thermal runaway -- in the below article:

The battery didn’t emit any gasses that I could see ,no burn marks either ,only a bit of the wrap at the top melted a little but it’s still covering the top ring.I haven’t and don’t plan on using the battery anymore though.

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
i just purchased a therion 75c bf ,and while putting the battery in (which is very difficult to do) ,the negative end of the battery made contact with its proper connecter but was on an angle and it also briefly touched the squonk pin inside the mod.When it did this it arched for a seccond.I checked the battery voltage and it was normal,and the mod seems to work fine but is it possible it could be damaged or dangerous now ?thanks anyone who can help me
Hello & Welcome,
Your here to tell the story, so things couldn't have gone that wrong.............
Your getting Vapor out of your tank and mod,,,,, That's a good sign.........

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    You also don't have to worry about the blown fuse. I'm not sure there are any fuses in these mods. But if there are fuses and you managed to blow one, the mod wouldn't turn on or at least some functions wouldn't be working. It's also a very good idea to ask about anything you're not sure of. That's how most of us learned.

At least some of the DNA boards have fuses.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    So I didn’t hard short the battery?And you don’t think it could damage my mod and make it unsafe?I don’t know anything about it and I’m really worried one or both are damaged and or dangerous

Yes, you did hard short it. The mod won't be damaged by that, as described, but the battery was not happy. There's no easy way to tell if the battery was slightly damaged though.

If the battery holds its voltage overnight and isn't warm when not being used then there is a decent chance it's ok. There's no way we can be sure though and you are responsible for your own safety. If that battery makes you nervous, replace it. :)

burningace766

Nov 17, 2017
    Yes, you did hard short it. The mod won't be damaged by that, as described, but the battery was not happy. There's no easy way to tell if the battery was slightly damaged though.

If the battery holds its voltage overnight and isn't warm when not being used then there is a decent chance it's ok. There's no way we can be sure though and you are responsible for your own safety. If that battery makes you nervous, replace it. :)
    Thanks for the reply !I decided to recycle it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread