• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Daylight Savings forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
@Burnie posted this morning about the bill that would put Florida in daylight savings year-round. Here is what NPR had to say:

"…if Florida gets its way, the state will stay on daylight saving time ... forever.

On Tuesday, Florida's Senate approved the Sunshine Protection Act, which asks Congress to allow the state to observe daylight saving time year-round — not just the eight months that is standard in the United States.

The bill was approved by the Florida House in February and will now go to Gov. Rick Scott, whose office tells NPR only that Scott "will review the bill."

According to the federal Uniform Time Act of 1966, states may exempt themselves from observing daylight saving time, as Hawaii and most of Arizona do. But there isn't an option for states to exempt themselves from standard time.

So the change Florida lawmakers desire is technically a change of time zone. The majority of Florida would move from Eastern time to Atlantic time: the zone that's home to Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and the Canadian Maritime provinces. The western part of the state's panhandle is on Central time; residents there would shift to Eastern time."

How do you all feel about it? Personally I don't care if we are in Daylight or Standard time. I just wish we would stay in one or the other all the time.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
It be honest, I would prefer to go to stand time year round. . . ;)
(From what I understand and read is that the only reason the Republican lead legislator wants to go to DST - is that it would increase the economy - people would go out more at night & spend more money on gas and entertainment. . . :( )

But then again, either one would work for me, as long as I DO NOT HAVE to keep changing my internal clock . . . :shock:

NOT a Happy camper right now . . . :mad:

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
From the only state that does it... ASSAIL your legislators, LOL.

I didn't even realize how cranky I got twice a year (as did my kid, LOL) adjusting to that one hour. It was heavenly when it stopped. We get tons of light here year round, but that was AZ's rationale for doing it too.... No one wants to go out to eat dinners when it's over 100 degrees at 7 p.m. Etc.

Anna

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
This. If I wish to feel jet-lagged, I can always get on an airplane and head west or east.
Obviously there has to be at least three time zones…east to west…that's fine.

But this changing twice a year is ridiculous. Let's just pick one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread