Status
Not open for further replies.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
This is the first time I've even seen this concern mentioned. Glad to see the post.

Where I live, my garbage goes to an incinerator (horrible solution, imo), and maybe tossing them in the trash isn't a great idea, right?

I've only got a half dozen or so dead batteries after 9 months (wow, 9 MONTHS? Yeee Haww) of vaping and haven't disposed of any yet. I guess I'll horde them up until they might be worth tossing into a bubble pack ... if anyone wants them. Seems strange to want dead batteries, LOL

Good question, thanks for the post Friends of Atlas.

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
Liv2Ski, no need to apologize for environmental concern. We all breathe the same air, drink the same water. :)

Thanks NCC, I know just didn't want to get all Green and stuff. Some people shut down when they see that. Would rather have people think about it and make the right choices on their own. Hell I drive 30 miles each way to work alone in a car so I am really not a poster boy. I would like to know what to do with these. I have two dead ones and was thinking of skinning them and dropping them in the lowes battery return bin.

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
I don't know about other modders but I collect them in a can. I mean all the batteries that I use for everything in the house, and then I give them to this guy who goes around and collects anything metal which he turns in for money.
I've known him forever and he takes them to be disposed of---and yes I know he does, he IS a tree lover.

Friend of Atlas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
CT
OP is a valid question. I would think anyplace that takes dead rechargables would take Li batts from a MOD. Real question is what to do with eGo batts, 510 batts etc. Not that I am a big tree hugger or anything but there should be a way to dispose of them properly.

Why are the eGo and 510 batts different? I have the 510... I'll check out my town's recycling center webpage to find out what I can do with them on my end if I know what type of battery they are... (Though my first choice will be to pass them on to jj2;)!)

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
Why are the eGo and 510 batts different? I have the 510... I'll check out my town's recycling center webpage to find out what I can do with them on my end if I know what type of battery they are... (Though my first choice will be to pass them on to jj2;)!)

Just that they are in a casing. The dead ones I have are from Junk disposables (eco-cigs) that I bought months ago. But they are still a Lithium battery and I didn't want to just toss them.

jj2 do you really want those????

Friend of Atlas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
CT
Somewhat off topic, but related: Grabbed my calculator, and I figured each of my dead batteries would have been approximately 1,400 cigarette butts if I were still smoking cigarettes ... just to put things into perspective. Again, nice to see this post. Thanks again.

VERY good point!

Alkaline batteries can be safely disposed of with normal household waste. Never dispose of batteries in fire because they could explode.
It is important not to dispose of large amounts of alkaline batteries in a group. Used batteries are often not completely "dead." Grouping used batteries together can bring these "live" batteries into contact with one another, creating safety risks.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
I just noticed at my Home Depot a box for recycling ALL rechargeable batteries (like the shopping bag collection boxes at many stores but not as large), including phone batteries, which are Li-ion like our PV batteries. It was in a corner by the door entrance area, where the shopping carts are.

I don't know if one should throw any batteries into the trash, for environmental purposes. My smallish town has a yearly roundup for recycling of residential HazMat materials. You drive up and volunteers unload the stuff from your vehicle. Few things are excluded.

Otherwise our town has free access to Fort Worth's (TX) HazMat facility without any charge.

I throw all of mine into a plastic bag, that I store outside. It is not entirely closed to allow for any off gassing.

But after reading this I think I'm going to separate all of them by type into separate bags. And get my collection of recyclables to HD tomorrow. That includes several power tool batteries that have been sitting in my garage for several years and one Ryobi Li-ion that finally gave out after several years of hard use.

After > two months heavily vaping, two of us, we have only one bad PV battery, that was faulty on arrival, a 4081 starter kit. Vender, Cloud9, has a replacement on the way to me.

Alice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread