The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Dead battery disposal???

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by Friend of Atlas, Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Friend of Atlas

Friend of Atlas Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 20, 2010
    CT
    Just got my first PV yesterday and while I've done a lot of research and reading I have not come accross any hints or tips on dead battery disposal... Anyone have any?

Thanks!

2. Zenfrogs

Zenfrogs Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 13, 2010
    Virginia
    If it's a 510/808/801/etc type batt many modders on here use them for the connectors etc.

3. jj2

jj2 Moved On ECF Veteran

May 30, 2009
    Hundred Acre Wood
    Offer them to the modders in the modders section. You can also offer them or even trade them in PIF.
    Or, just give em to me.:)

4. NCC

NCC Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Fla Panhandle, USA
    This is the first time I've even seen this concern mentioned. Glad to see the post.

Where I live, my garbage goes to an incinerator (horrible solution, imo), and maybe tossing them in the trash isn't a great idea, right?

I've only got a half dozen or so dead batteries after 9 months (wow, 9 MONTHS? Yeee Haww) of vaping and haven't disposed of any yet. I guess I'll horde them up until they might be worth tossing into a bubble pack ... if anyone wants them. Seems strange to want dead batteries, LOL

Good question, thanks for the post Friends of Atlas.

5. Liv2Ski

Liv2Ski Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 14, 2010
    Burnt Hills NY
    OP is a valid question. I would think anyplace that takes dead rechargables would take Li batts from a MOD. Real question is what to do with eGo batts, 510 batts etc. Not that I am a big tree hugger or anything but there should be a way to dispose of them properly.

6. NCC

Jan 14, 2010
    Fla Panhandle, USA
    Liv2Ski, no need to apologize for environmental concern. We all breathe the same air, drink the same water. :)

7. Liv2Ski

Sep 14, 2010
    Burnt Hills NY
    Thanks NCC, I know just didn't want to get all Green and stuff. Some people shut down when they see that. Would rather have people think about it and make the right choices on their own. Hell I drive 30 miles each way to work alone in a car so I am really not a poster boy. I would like to know what to do with these. I have two dead ones and was thinking of skinning them and dropping them in the lowes battery return bin.

8. jj2

jj2 Moved On ECF Veteran

May 30, 2009
    Hundred Acre Wood
    I don't know about other modders but I collect them in a can. I mean all the batteries that I use for everything in the house, and then I give them to this guy who goes around and collects anything metal which he turns in for money.
    I've known him forever and he takes them to be disposed of---and yes I know he does, he IS a tree lover.

9. Friend of Atlas

Oct 20, 2010
    CT
    Why are the eGo and 510 batts different? I have the 510... I'll check out my town's recycling center webpage to find out what I can do with them on my end if I know what type of battery they are... (Though my first choice will be to pass them on to jj2;)!)

10. Liv2Ski

Sep 14, 2010
    Burnt Hills NY
    Just that they are in a casing. The dead ones I have are from Junk disposables (eco-cigs) that I bought months ago. But they are still a Lithium battery and I didn't want to just toss them.

jj2 do you really want those????

11. NCC

Jan 14, 2010
    Fla Panhandle, USA
    Somewhat off topic, but related: Grabbed my calculator, and I figured each of my dead batteries would have been approximately 1,400 cigarette butts if I were still smoking cigarettes ... just to put things into perspective. Again, nice to see this post. Thanks again.

12. Friend of Atlas

Oct 20, 2010
    CT
    VERY good point!

13. tchp12

tchp12 Moved On

Oct 20, 2010
    US
    Alkaline batteries can be safely disposed of with normal household waste. Never dispose of batteries in fire because they could explode.
    It is important not to dispose of large amounts of alkaline batteries in a group. Used batteries are often not completely "dead." Grouping used batteries together can bring these "live" batteries into contact with one another, creating safety risks.

14. AttyPops

AttyPops Yeah, I type stuff. ECF Veteran

Supporting member
  15. Vaping4Sanity

Vaping4Sanity Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 17, 2010
    Centerville, Ohio
    If you going to hug a tree, go all out and eat some granola too. Just something my dad days, "Granola eating tree huggers". Maybe it's only funny to me.

16. bruther

bruther Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oct 14, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    I'll throw mine in the garbage, like everything else.

17. MarBro

MarBro Full Member

Sep 23, 2010
    East Texas
    Most of your computer stores have a battery recycle bin. Most laptops today use Lithium Ion batteries also.

18. nicadd

nicadd Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 20, 2010
    Germany
    That's where I dump my dead e-cig batteries. The local supermarkets said they would take them, too.

19. FeistyAlice

FeistyAlice ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Near Dallas Texas
    I just noticed at my Home Depot a box for recycling ALL rechargeable batteries (like the shopping bag collection boxes at many stores but not as large), including phone batteries, which are Li-ion like our PV batteries. It was in a corner by the door entrance area, where the shopping carts are.

I don't know if one should throw any batteries into the trash, for environmental purposes. My smallish town has a yearly roundup for recycling of residential HazMat materials. You drive up and volunteers unload the stuff from your vehicle. Few things are excluded.

Otherwise our town has free access to Fort Worth's (TX) HazMat facility without any charge.

I throw all of mine into a plastic bag, that I store outside. It is not entirely closed to allow for any off gassing.

But after reading this I think I'm going to separate all of them by type into separate bags. And get my collection of recyclables to HD tomorrow. That includes several power tool batteries that have been sitting in my garage for several years and one Ryobi Li-ion that finally gave out after several years of hard use.

After > two months heavily vaping, two of us, we have only one bad PV battery, that was faulty on arrival, a 4081 starter kit. Vender, Cloud9, has a replacement on the way to me.

Alice

20. Corona

Corona Full Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Tri-State Area
    I am wondering too what to do with dead batteries and defunct chargers and passthroughs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.