WTF did just happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaper12345678

Aug 26, 2018
So I was installing fused claptons to my quad flex rda and when I dry fired them I noticed some hot spots and tried to get rid of them when suddenly the negative post of the rda (not sure it could be positive) started to burn and relase smoke under it there was a black putty adhesive that started to melt or thats what I thougt I immediately rushed to the bathroom and run cold water over it.

What did just happened guys Anybody else had a similar experience and is it safe to ise the build deck again? Please someone help.

((See photos below))

Attachments

• 354D3B35-0164-4070-9329-572684D894F1.jpeg
    354D3B35-0164-4070-9329-572684D894F1.jpeg
    929.4 KB · Views: 104
  • B86196D3-F5C2-4DF8-9668-F69EF6E87DBB.jpeg
    B86196D3-F5C2-4DF8-9668-F69EF6E87DBB.jpeg
    878.6 KB · Views: 101
  • Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Nikhforos

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2018
From what I understand, it was not the post that burnt and released smoke. Instead, it was some remaining juice that had slipped in there from your previous wicking and vaporised due to the high temperature. It has happened to me before, not a big deal. I'm sorry but I can't help you any further with such little info, nor can I see what's going on from the photos. I'm sure someone will jump right in with more ideas.

Edit : If that black thing I'm seeing wasn't supposed to be there, things look bad. I suggest you don't use it any further.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I looked up your deck and it appears the insulator is black delrin or some kind of black insulator. If you had a putty like substance melting oozing bubbling etc you melted the insulator.
Probably this. ^^

Is there some way to replace it?
Not likely.

Those coils must have really gotten hot for this to happen. What was the measured total resistance of the coils and what battery specifically were you using? If using a regulated mod, what wattage setting had you set?

Oh, BTW, don't use this any more. The insulator was there for a good reason; it helps prevent a short circuit.

Last edited:

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
I agree melted insulator.

'dry firing' to check build integrity, adjust hot spots, strum, even out the inside out coil glow is a misnomer.
A better descriptive term would be pulse firing and at a lower wattage than you would use when vaping.
Might take 3 - 6 pulses of the fire button to get coil(s) hot enough to glow a slight orange.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I am talking to the retailer I bought it and I asked for a new after explaining what happen it was from AliExpress (china) they don’t even know proper english wish me luck guys!
Never purchased from Ali Express, but was always wary about that company. I know for a fact that all the AW batteries on that site are counterfeit. The CEO of AW Batteries said so himself. The AW plant in China was destroyed several months ago from a flood and there are no AW batteries for sale ANYWHERE on the planet except on Ali Express. Read between the lines.

I've purchased multiple times from Fast Tech (China) and never had issues.

Last edited:

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
I am talking to the retailer I bought it and I asked for a new after explaining what happen it was from AliExpress (china) they don’t even know proper english wish me luck guys!

Sounds like you found the culprit, right there, lol. Hope you aren't expecting them to actually do anything, cause they probably aren't going to.

Also, what happened, is why most use peek insulators instead of delrin now.

Old Greybeard

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2018
Cumbria
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
@Vaper12345678,

Glad your OK and didn't happen when you were vaping. As others have said, it is best to send it to the vape graveyard. You might be able to fix it, but you need to prove it's been fixed before use and for that you need some test gear. It's really not worth the risk IMO.

That RDA is not really designed for builds that aggressive either, IMHO.

Gulp. That puts an end to some of my more extreme coil adventures then :( [Same deck].

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread