Digital Pipettes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

someone3x7

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2012
Spanaway, WA
I'm guessing most people use syringes. I tend to be a little .... and have been toying with the idea of getting an electronic digital pipette. 'Tis a little daunting though since they seem to average around $700. Today when casually browsing other topics I stumbled across an advertisement for the "Avegene ePipette S1000 Electronic Pipette" for $206. Does anyone know if these are any good?

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Much of my interest in DIY is saving money. I have no problem using plastic pipettes with bulb tops. I use 1 ml and 3 ml types. As well, I have made decals with graduations applied to some of my bottles. While a digital pipetee might be fun, I'd have to be doing a lot of mixing to justify the cost.

At the same time, I think there are some hand operated manual ones where the volume can be set for a bit less. Here is an offering I know nothing about, but it is from one of our ECF vendors.
Pipette Pump - One Stop DIY Shop Store

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
IMO that is way overkill. I used to work in a lab, and I've used that type of pipette many times. We just don't need that sort of precision and accuracy for DIY. Plus, it's only going to be useful for very small batches as the max volume is 1 ml. That sort of pipette, to be as accurate as it's made to be, also requires ~yearly calibration by a technician. It's not something you can do yourself unless you have a scale that will accurately weigh small amounts of liquid (very expensive) and it requires disposables as well (pipette tips) although I guess you could get one box (96 tips) and reuse them. That one being so much cheaper than they normally are... I can't say how accurate it would be anyway. It makes me skeptical, but you never know.

I've also used the type of pump bulb that cool breeze listed above. You could get a 10 ml one, a 2ml one and a couple of glass pipettes and be way more accurate than 99% of the people doing DIY. No need to geek out on this. Does it matter if your juice is 18.0000 mg/ml? I doubt the concentration of nic in your base is that accurate anyway.

someone3x7

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2012
Spanaway, WA
IMO that is way overkill. I used to work in a lab, and I've used that type of pipette many times. We just don't need that sort of precision and accuracy for DIY. Plus, it's only going to be useful for very small batches as the max volume is 1 ml. That sort of pipette, to be as accurate as it's made to be, also requires ~yearly calibration by a technician. It's not something you can do yourself unless you have a scale that will accurately weigh small amounts of liquid (very expensive) and it requires disposables as well (pipette tips) although I guess you could get one box (96 tips) and reuse them. That one being so much cheaper than they normally are... I can't say how accurate it would be anyway. It makes me skeptical, but you never know.

I've also used the type of pump bulb that cool breeze listed above. You could get a 10 ml one, a 2ml one and a couple of glass pipettes and be way more accurate than 99% of the people doing DIY. No need to geek out on this. Does it matter if your juice is 18.0000 mg/ml? I doubt the concentration of nic in your base is that accurate anyway.

Duly noted. Thank you.

someone3x7

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2012
Spanaway, WA
Digital Pipettes are about the Coolest thing there is for DIY. Period. End of Report.

If you have a 600 or 700 Hundred Bucks laying around doing Nothing, I say Go For It.

For me, a $20 Graduated Cylinder and an Eye Dropper will get me where I want to go.

Heh, yeah it was a passing fancy. I think I would rather use the money for a Jazz cartopipe.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Where digital pipettes really shine is if you are having to set up, like, 100 reactions that are all almost the same. Holy schmoly, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven the first time I got to use one for that type of application. Most of them have a multi-dispense for this sort of thing, so you'd fill up the tip with 1 ml of solution and dispense, say, 100ul at a time into your tubes. Speeds up that sort of set up. Multi channel digital pipettes are even more awesomer for that sort of thing. I can't imagine myself doing that sort of thing for DIY, although setting up a grid of variations on a recipie might be something cool to try.

Okay, s..t, now I want a Multi channel digital pipette. LOL!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Heh, yeah it was a passing fancy. I think I would rather use the money for a Jazz cartopipe.

Sounds Good to Me.

Nothing wrong with a Digital Pipette in my book. And if I had a little More Extra Cash laying around, I would Love to buy one. I like Gadgets and All things Precision.

But since the Piles of Extra Cash seems to have dwindled lately, I need to buy things that Give me the Most Bang for My Buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread