Direct short in all RBA/RDA's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

talbrecht

Verified Member
Jan 6, 2009
NE Texas
In reading all the threads about the Vape Bash incident and watching numerous videos on coil building, safety, battery safety etc. It just dawned on me a question that probably has no merit in reality but has my head scratching.

I do rebuild myself and use proper batteries and ohm meters to check my work.......BUT what is keeping the liquid filled wicking material from creating a direct short across the negative and positive posts in an rda/RBA? I mean we create a coil, run our favorite wicking material through it, then proceed to wet it down with our favorite whatever vape juice. Is PG and VG not conduct electricity even a little bit. What about juices that cut VG with distilled water. I know water is conductive. I am positive there is a logical explanation but for the life of me without testing I can't find one.:confused:

GunMonkeyINTL

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2014
NC
I can't speak to the conductivity of e-liquid, but I'm guessing it represents a higher resistance than the coil, if it is conductive.
If I remember correctly from chemistry class, water is not conductive. It is the dissolved minerals usually found in water that cause it to conduct electricity. Distilled water is not conductive.

The Torch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2012
Montreal
E liquid does not conduct enough at the voltages we use for vaping. Yes, it's been mentioned already, but you can convince yourself by putting a drop of e-liquid on the post of your mod before screwing your topper in. Does it vape? Unless you screw it real hard to push all the liquid completely out, it won't. I often have to clean my post if I have the slightest juice leak from underneath my toppers.

The Torch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2012
Montreal
Maybe put in a dedicated charger for the Tesla auto, and use that? (Hey, I have a Tesla mod, but can't figure out how to stuff it into an outlet....)

If you drive a Tesla, why bother with a special adapter? Just plug it into your car!

Actually, a 2 watt laser, which is about the size of a good mod and will cost you about the same price, runs on a 18650 battery and should be powerful enough to vaporize really dark juices since you don't even need that close to blow up balloons 4 feet away:
Spyder 3 Arctic Blue Handheld Laser

My guess is with a good reflective setup where the beam is always reflected through the same spot, there's a chance it could work. Who will try it first?

Dj Xy

I'm winning like Charlie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
baltimore, maryland
Electricity follows the path of least resistance, in our case that would be the resistance wire, even straight tap water would not cause a short.
The electrical resistance of water is so high (0.2 mΩ sea water, 2 to 200 mΩ drinking water, 18000 mΩ deionized water at 20°C), that it could in no way cause a short at the voltages we use.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Actually, a 2 watt laser, which is about the size of a good mod and will cost you about the same price, runs on a 18650 battery and should be powerful enough to vaporize really dark juices since you don't even need that close to blow up balloons 4 feet away

2 watts? And that's not all going to be converted into heat? I think I'll pass :)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Actually, a 2 watt laser, which is about the size of a good mod and will cost you about the same price, runs on a 18650 battery and should be powerful enough to vaporize really dark juices since you don't even need that close to blow up balloons 4 feet away:
Spyder 3 Arctic Blue Handheld Laser

Man, I could give my cat a complex with a laser like that! :D :lol:

Andria

The Torch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2012
Montreal
2 watts? And that's not all going to be converted into heat? I think I'll pass :)

Conversion from light to heat will definitely depend on the darkness of your liquid, but this thing CAN blow balloons and set matches on fire.
They also make a flashlight called "the Torch" :D (that's actually not where I got my name, though...) It can set paper on fire or even fry an egg:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsIHyRyETKg

Man, I could give my cat a complex with a laser like that! :D :lol:

Andria

You could even blind or burn the poor cat, thus reversing the usual kitty/laser attraction!

In the end, I think pointing Lithium-ion batteries into out mouth -even with a low ohm coil- is much, much safer than pointing those products at our face...

Alright, how about this one:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread