Disappointed with Smoant Cylon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

coreyoli

Oct 5, 2014
Put batteries in and it works great for a little bit... Soon as the battery bars drop a bit to about 80% each it hits like a wet noodle... Brand new lg hg2 batteries and a crown 3 tank running at 85 watts...

Was super excited about this mod but honestly unless you want to swap batteries like crazy it's not good... My wife has the smok mag and that works so much better... Take my bats out out them in her mod with my tank and it hits like a friggin truck...

Hopefully this is something that will be addressed in firmware (cutting voltage way to aggressively)

Anyway there's my little disappointed review of an aesthetically beautiful mod...

-Corey

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
hg2 batteries are 20 amp, which means you are good for 95-120v. This means that as soon as your batteries are town to 70-90% capacity its going to start hitting the voltage booster to keep up and your batteries will go flat very fast. I suspect 30 amp batteries will help your problem immensely.

Reactions: Tonee N

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
Something's not right here. Have you tried updating the firmware?

I have both the black and tarnish models, they had different firmware on them though. Black came with 3.0.0.5 and tarnish with 3.0.0.6. I think the current update is 3.0.0.8.

Anyways, I don't push mine to 85 watts, don't think I've gone above 45. Does yours vape consistently at lower wattage once they batteries get that low?

Sounds like you may have gotten a lemon. Others may have more helpful input. This is the first disappointment I've heard in the Cylon.

Reactions: Tonee N

coreyoli

Oct 5, 2014
hg2 batteries are 20 amp, which means you are good for 95-120v. This means that as soon as your batteries are town to 70-90% capacity its going to start hitting the voltage booster to keep up and your batteries will go flat very fast. I suspect 30 amp batteries will help your problem immensely.
Ya know I thought about this as well... I'm coming from a 3 battery mod so never had an issue... What's a good 30 18650?

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Put batteries in and it works great for a little bit... Soon as the battery bars drop a bit to about 80% each it hits like a wet noodle... Brand new lg hg2 batteries and a crown 3 tank running at 85 watts...

Was super excited about this mod but honestly unless you want to swap batteries like crazy it's not good... My wife has the Smok mag and that works so much better... Take my bats out out them in her mod with my tank and it hits like a friggin truck...

Hopefully this is something that will be addressed in firmware (cutting voltage way to aggressively)

Anyway there's my little disappointed review of an aesthetically beautiful mod...

-Corey

Honestly, the very first question is where did you get those batteries?

Those batteries are faked frequently. Did you buy them at your vape shop when you bought this mod?

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL

Those batteries are faked frequently. Did you buy them at your vape shop when you bought this mod?
He got the mod from Element, don't know about the batteries. OP is also posting in the Cylon thread. Asked if he/she had tried batts in another device.

coreyoli

Oct 5, 2014

Ha! Funny you should say that... I been using hg2's from vapewild with no issues... I recently found a deal I couldn't pass up on (I know I know...) eBay... I questioned their authenticity from day one... Unfortunately they've gotten mixed in the chargers (in pairs of course) with my known good ones... Now I have to vet them all to see which are the good ones...

Told the wife when it taxes hit we're gonna order 10 brand new bats and junk all of these and start over...

Odd part is my Kanger dripbox 160 doesn't seem to care... However I'm running between .4 and .5 on that not .25...

Thanks for all the input and hopefully not thinking little of me for my admittedly stupid eBay purchase...

coreyoli

Oct 5, 2014
He got the mod from Element, don't know about the batteries. OP is also posting in the Cylon thread. Asked if he/she had tried batts in another device.
Yeah sorry, found that thread after making this and lots of good info here by that time and didn't want to delete it...

• Agree
Reactions: Letitia

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Ha! Funny you should say that... I been using hg2's from vapewild with no issues... I recently found a deal I couldn't pass up on (I know I know...) eBay... I questioned their authenticity from day one... Unfortunately they've gotten mixed in the chargers (in pairs of course) with my known good ones... Now I have to vet them all to see which are the good ones...

Told the wife when it taxes hit we're gonna order 10 brand new bats and junk all of these and start over...

Odd part is my Kanger dripbox 160 doesn't seem to care... However I'm running between .4 and .5 on that not .25...

Thanks for all the input and hopefully not thinking little of me for my admittedly stupid eBay purchase...

I'll be honest with you. So much rides on your batteries being authentic, that I wouldn't even purchase from a vape shop. I would purchase from a reputable battery wholesaler such as IMR Batteries or Wholesale Li-ion Batteries for Vaping, Flashlights | Liion Wholesale or other quality wholesaler. ..

Batteries are inexpensive enough so you may as well buy where you can be absolutely positive of the authenticity of what you have because when you vape everything is riding on the batteries you buy.

Think about it, bad batteries caused this experience and wasted money I have no doubt.

Buy batteries from a wholesaler like IMR and I bet a hundred dollars your mod works fine.

Last edited:

coreyoli

Oct 5, 2014
I'll be honest with you. So much rides on your batteries being authentic, that I wouldn't even purchase from a vape shop. I would purchase from a reputable battery wholesaler such as IMR Batteries or Wholesale Li-ion Batteries for Vaping, Flashlights | Liion Wholesale or other quality wholesaler. ..

Batteries are inexpensive enough so you may as well buy where you can be absolutely positive of the authenticity of what you have because when you vape everything is riding on the batteries you buy.

Think about it, bad batteries caused this experience and wasted money I have no doubt.
Yup... Exactly why we're just gonna scrap them all and start over... Not worth the headache trying to sus out the 4 known good ones... I'll look into those sources...

Thanks much for being respectful in your response... After mentioning eBay I was getting ready to Don my flame ......ant suit!! Lol...

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Yup... Exactly why we're just gonna scrap them all and start over... Not worth the headache trying to sus out the 4 known good ones... I'll look into those sources...

Thanks much for being respectful in your response... After mentioning eBay I was getting ready to Don my flame ......ant suit!! Lol...

Your not the first person to decide to cut corners on batteries. ..

No amount of flaming will do what this experience will do... :) bet you never make the same mistake again. .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread