Diving in head first

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reeversong

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2017
Apex, NC USA
Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum.

As you might guess from both the avatar and the handle, I am a geek at heart. Star Wars fan, FireFly, Doctor Who, and I can't leave out Lord of the Rings.

But now I am just getting into vaping. So...

Both me and my wife picked up the SMOK Procolor kits at the end of Oct. 2017, along with a large sample pack of flavors from Vapewild. Needless to say we were both pleased with the experience, and have dropped smoking completely. But since I am such a cheapskate (or so my wife says), I decided to see how much money I could save by doing things myself. And that lead to all the great YouTube videos on how to make your own juice. Which I have been pursuing for the past two weeks, and we are starting to get the flavors we like all put together and steeping.

This lead to the next issue. Getting an RTA, since I could save money by building my own stuff, and saving money that way. I must say though, even with all of the research, I was not exactly prepared for what the SMOK TFV8 Baby Beast RTA took to actually get running correctly. After 2 days of grinding down the bottom of the deck to keep it from shorting out, pounding the posts down to seat them correctly, and 7 rebuilds, I finally got the thing working perfectly. I will say that the sense of accomplishment from taking a ....ty RTA and making it work was great, but the next RTA I get will be a quality tank (leaning toward the Zeus or the OBS Nano).

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Howdy and welcome :)
Cheapskates unite!
The way my dad always put it to me is I was “tight as the paper on the wall” (he approved)
If you’re willing to do that to a tank making juice should be easy peas. There are several sections and sub threads on the subject here you may find useful. It does save you a bunch of cash. ~60% or so before you start figuring for whatever taxes your state applies. In Minnesota my savings is above 80%

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Hi, welcome to ECF, and congrats on starting vaping. I'm a cheapskate too I love DIY and prefer it to storebought flavors, and RTAs and RDAs can also be a fantastic way to save on coils. I enjoy both and I hope you will as well. Most of all welcome to ECF and don't hesitate to ask any questions you have about DIY or building. :)

Anna

Reeversong

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2017
Apex, NC USA
Thank you all for the warm welcome. And I have been cruising the forums for a couple of days now, so I feel fairly comfortable here. Having created, managed, and admin'd so many forums like this.

Welcome to ECF.
Very first movie I saw as a kid was Star Wars. Have a whole Darth Vader tat on my left forearm. So...I get ya.

Welcome again.

The very first movie I saw in theaters was Return of the Jedi. My dad took me opening night to the first showing. It was so much fun to take him to the opening show of The Force Awakens 32 years later.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
I use the big baby rba so i know what you mean ahah thing is, i've never had to fiddle with the base yeah it shorted more times than i can count but usually fixed by just removing it and putting it back on.

Wanting to build yourself dosen't make you cheap, i don't buy drop in coils anymore simply because you get much more flavor out of an rta (nothing gets you more flavor than an RDA though but i need a tank since i'm no dripper).

IF you want a good beginner's rta check out the serpent smm from wotofo,lots of great reviews all over and it's a single coil so less hassle to build on (plus that building deck is easy af lol)

On another note Welcome to Ecf good sir :)

Necrospecter

Dulce de Leche to rule them all
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2017
Fort Worth Texas
www.forsakengamingnation.com
I think most vapers are geeks really you have to be, The Republic is the true evil by the way. Also, I never leave the house without my towel. The serpent smm has been recommended more than once to me and is on my list but right now I have just moved to RDAs (running my Apocalypse GEN 2 Styled RDA and picked it due to the gasmask logo reminding me of Miscreated and Fallout) and my Aries has been moved to what I use when I drive the coils last 3 months when I was using it as my main tank but since I like to change flavors during the day and do not go out that much the RDAs work better for me.

At anyrate, you should also check out the world of DIY juice lots of fun.

Last edited:

Reeversong

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2017
Apex, NC USA
I use the big baby rba so i know what you mean ahah thing is, i've never had to fiddle with the base yeah it shorted more times than i can count but usually fixed by just removing it and putting it back on.

Wanting to build yourself dosen't make you cheap, i don't buy drop in coils anymore simply because you get much more flavor out of an rta (nothing gets you more flavor than an RDA though but i need a tank since i'm no dripper).

IF you want a good beginner's rta check out the serpent smm from wotofo,lots of great reviews all over and it's a single coil so less hassle to build on (plus that building deck is easy af lol)

On another note Welcome to Ecf good sir :)

I will have to post a picture of the base and what I had to do to get the thing working. After unscrewing it, rebuilding the coils and wicking it, only to have it short out, or the ohms go from .4 all the way up to 2.5 ohms 4 times, I finally got out the grinder and hammer to fix it. Working great now.

As for a new tank, I am going to be traveling, so I am really looking at the top air flow tanks as being the best leakproof for taking on a plane (in carry on, not to vape ON the plane). So the Zeus and the OBS Nano look like the way to go. And I kind of figure that with the work I did on the TFV8 RBA, I can kind of move past the newbie tanks.

BTW I am a Mercy main in competitive. Something like 160 hours so far. The biggest problem I have is getting grouped up with idiots. So I am sitting at low gold most of the time.

I think most vapers are geeks really you have to be, The Republic is the true evil by the way. Also, I never leave the house without my towel. The serpent smm has been recommended more than once to me and is on my list but right now I have just moved to RDAs (running my Apocalypse GEN 2 Styled RDA and picked it due to the gasmask logo reminding me of Miscreated and Fallout) and my Aries has been moved to what I use when I drive the coils last 3 months when I was using it as my main tank but since I like to change flavors during the day and do not go out that much the RDAs work better for me.

At anyrate, you should also check out the world of DIY juice lots of fun.

I have to say that both the Republic and the Empire are both true evils. I am a grey Jedi all the way.

I have been spending way to much time on e-liquid-recipes dot com for my own good. I have 8 concentrates right now, and another 12 on the way that should be here today. That should get me through another week or two until I find another 10 recipes that I want to try. :D

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum.

As you might guess from both the avatar and the handle, I am a geek at heart. Star Wars fan, FireFly, Doctor Who, and I can't leave out Lord of the Rings.

But now I am just getting into vaping. So...

Both me and my wife picked up the SMOK Procolor kits at the end of Oct. 2017, along with a large sample pack of flavors from Vapewild. Needless to say we were both pleased with the experience, and have dropped smoking completely. But since I am such a cheapskate (or so my wife says), I decided to see how much money I could save by doing things myself. And that lead to all the great YouTube videos on how to make your own juice. Which I have been pursuing for the past two weeks, and we are starting to get the flavors we like all put together and steeping.

This lead to the next issue. Getting an RTA, since I could save money by building my own stuff, and saving money that way. I must say though, even with all of the research, I was not exactly prepared for what the SMOK TFV8 Baby Beast RTA took to actually get running correctly. After 2 days of grinding down the bottom of the deck to keep it from shorting out, pounding the posts down to seat them correctly, and 7 rebuilds, I finally got the thing working perfectly. I will say that the sense of accomplishment from taking a ....ty RTA and making it work was great, but the next RTA I get will be a quality tank (leaning toward the Zeus or the OBS Nano).

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
CustomMeme1.jpg
Empire was evil?

Gahh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Bay Shore LI NY
Hello and Welcome.
I've been vaping for years and I can't stop talking about how good the Wotofo Sapor RTA is.
$11.23 Authentic Wotofo Sapor RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer - 2ml / stainless steel + glass / 22mm dia. at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
I just got this 2 weeks ago and have used it everyday.
This is a top flow RTA which equals,,,, NO LEAKS.
The build deck has plenty of room, and any wicking will work great because its a top air flowing tank... Will never overflow, but if it gets flooded it will girgle a bit.
Flavor and vape production are great.
And the price is WOW!!!!!
I promise, you'll be happy.
NOTE: It comes with coils and cotton. But you'll want to get some extra wire and cotton. I like 26ga. Nichrome and regular cotton balls from CVS. All you could want can be found at Fast Tech for the best prices.... And Free Shipping ( Although you will wait 3 to 4 weeks before it arrives at your door. )

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Wow, now I feel old. My first starwars movie was.................Star Wars.:cry:

The single biggest savings you can get in vaping is DIY juice. That's where the price differential is huge. However, get a few recipes you want to try first and order flavors for those. Buying just a bunch of flavors won't help you out.

And building your own coils is another nice savings.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
I vape deep well RDA's. Deep wells are similar to mini tanks and give me the best taste/flavor available. Deep wells can be cleaned/new wicked in a minute and be ready for a new juice for the lowest cost. Coils can be rapidly mounted and designed to deliver a balance between the right amount of clouds vs the maximum flavor for the least amount of money. Hope to see your posts in:
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/forums/diy-e-liquid.38/
Might like to read:
Beginner's Guide to the Art of Dripping - Vapor Cloud Reviews
http://vape-resource.com/drip_vaping/
http://spinfuel.com/art-drip-guide-vaping/
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/7-information-resources-for-your-first-rba.4454/
https://quitsmokingcommunity.org/electronic-cigarettes/what-is-an-atomizer-definition/
Rebuildable Tanks Explained: RBAs vs RDAs vs RTAs vs RDTAs
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/wrapping-building-coils-101-for-beginners.745045/
6 Quick & Useful Vaping Tips for Beginners
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/i-love-my-rda.805461/#post-19616327

Reeversong

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2017
Apex, NC USA
Wow, now I feel old. My first starwars movie was.................Star Wars.:cry:

The single biggest savings you can get in vaping is DIY juice. That's where the price differential is huge. However, get a few recipes you want to try first and order flavors for those. Buying just a bunch of flavors won't help you out.

And building your own coils is another nice savings.

Yeah, the juice savings is phenomenal. $1.26 for 60ml for one of our favorites is so great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread