• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Diy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Battlelance

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Just a funny story, I unplugged my USB keyboard to plug in my usb ego before work and it took me 2 minutes to figure out why I couldn't type a title. Sigh.

ANYWAY,

So I want to get into DIY and the other night I spent close to two hours flipping back and forth between the DIY recipe section here and canvapes DIY selection trying to figure out what flavours I should pick up on my next order. Needless to say, almost even recipe I looked at contained a flavour canvape doesn't carry - and they carry a TON of flavours.

Having said that, I really want to order enough stuff from ONE place to get me started. So, does anyone here have any favourite recipes that can be made with only the flavours sold through canvape?

X P3 Flight Engineer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Moncton, N.B. Canada
I use the canvape flavors to make single flavor juice. I practice getting them to taste right, then I experiment with 2 or more flavors together.

Using recipes from others only works perfectly when the flavors are a perfect match from the same manufacturer. The same flavor from another manufacturer may taste different or be a different concentration.

I have fun with it, anyway!

ChellyNelly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 26, 2011
Dartmouth, NS
I suggest just starting out with ONE flavour recipes until you've got the motions down. And by then you'll have a bunch of ideas of your own anyway :p Honestly, most of the flavours in recipes are just other peoples preferences. Just because the person who wrote the recipe likes TPA French Vanilla doesn't mean that you can't sub it with FW French Vanilla, or something like that. It won't taste the exact same but honestly you aren't going to like every flavour in every recipe anyway, you have just as much of a chance of not liking it when subbing flavours as you do when you're not.

Just my 2 cents on it, and what I've personally done :)

X P3 Flight Engineer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Moncton, N.B. Canada
It's like a spice rack, everyone's is slightly different due to their taste.

Menthol is the only one I can think that everyone can usually vape by adding it to different juices when that juice is lacking a little something.

It doesn't hurt to have more tools than you need, so Juggy's selection would cover most every situation. I try to keep it simple rather than chase elusive flavors.

ChellyNelly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 26, 2011
Dartmouth, NS
Not a bad idea X and Chelly, thanks! Also, ya'll think its worth picking up the "DIY" additive kit on juggys site (koolada, menthol, etc.)? And finally, are there any "must have" flavours (say, marshmellow or tpa sweetener?

I would tell you not to worry about the additives just yet. I think that the general consensus is to start out with easy, 1 flavour mixes without additives, and get more complex as you go. I've been DIYing for about 3 weeks or so now and I'm just now beginning to think I could use some additives. I would say that you want to get a good stock of nicotine, PG and VG, syringes/pipettes, and flavourings first off. You can worry about the additives later.

You know what I really like is the concentrated fruit flavours from Health Cabin. I got a bunch of 'em in a trade and they're all fantastic, not perfumey, or chemically, or candyish. They all taste like the fruit they're meant to taste like, surprisingly enough.

Ecto Cooler is awesome, I have liked TPA Caramel Candy quite a bit as well. Those are my best suggestions so far with my limited DIY experience :) It's a lot of fun, I think you'll love it!

albertbert

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2011
Canada
Here are some recipes from darksidevaper:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/canada-forum/291771-vape-skool-tvn-16.html#post6462239
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/canada-forum/291771-vape-skool-tvn-19.html#post6523765'

I'm pretty sure you could get what you need to at least make the ecto plasmic from canvape.

I think getting the kit from jugheads kit is a good idea. You really do get alot of good stuff for the $20. It is a really good value imo. I agree with chelly that you should keep it simple to start, but i think you will eventually need all that stuff.

With it you could make this recipe http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...t-tobacco-flavor-so-far-full-credit-nuck.html

fourtytwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2012
Toronto
I've just started with diy and only tried a couple of single flavour juices so far but I have a question about steeping.
When I mix something, I know that the taste changes over time but I have noticed changes in a matter of 1 or 2 days. I imagine that this will continue with more time so it seems very difficult to determine what the final taste will be for a very long time. Does steeping really get you closer to the final taste?

X P3 Flight Engineer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Moncton, N.B. Canada
I've just started with diy and only tried a couple of single flavour juices so far but I have a question about steeping.
When I mix something, I know that the taste changes over time but I have noticed changes in a matter of 1 or 2 days. I imagine that this will continue with more time so it seems very difficult to determine what the final taste will be for a very long time. Does steeping really get you closer to the final taste?

The taste continues to change for up to a month. (I don't actually sample it each day to check. Lol) That is why it is important to keep good notes on how you prepared it, so you can duplicate it.

Some are fine right off, but usually continue to improve (mellow) with age.

fourtytwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2012
Toronto
Sounds like patience is the key here. That and a good set of notes.
With the few I have tried, I have noticed that the flavour improves, even after one day. Much more mellowed and more complex.
So far, I've just been trying to nail down the proportion of flavouring vs base.
I was also thinking that, for tasting, I will get a whole pile of Star Dusts. As this has been my favourite for when I am out and about, I should really do all my tasting with the same. They are easy enough to clean.

Fiamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
So Calif
I've been at DIY for a few months now, started with recipes from a couple of friends for multiple flavors, some single flavor juices tried on my own, easy stuff. The same flavor from 3 different companies will taste different from all 3 I found.

I like FlavourArt from Italy, very concentrated and you use a lot less. Capella I use a little more but not nearly as much as I use of LorAnn or The Flavorers Apprentice. There is a lot of trial and error so I make 3 or 4ml test batches without nic and see what they taste like before I put in any nic. I keep very careful notes so when it's right I can expand the recipe and I can duplicate it down the road. They way things are progressing I might just stop buying LorAnn when the current inventory is gone. I like it less than the others, where many DIYers swear by it.

I find this both nerve wracking and fun all at the same time. I have managed to duplicate 3 juices on my own that I used to buy and that saves me a ton of money so I can buy even more flavorings. That greatly encouraged me to keep going.

I use a 50/50 mix as I have problems with PG if it goes over 50% of a mix. I find that in that much VG it takes longer for the flavors to propagate and blend than if you use a higher PG blend. I made some juice for a friend at 70/30 and it was good right out of the mix to her and only got a little better in a couple of weeks. She was happy with it and wants me to make her more of it. I have very little of my own that are good right out of the mix. I let them sit a week and then taste and if good add nic and then vape it until it's gone and I'm sure.

I'm not a terribly creative person, in cooking they call it a plain cook. I have to work at trying to figure out what would go well together and how to enhance it if it 'needs' something more. That can be a bit frustrating but I keep on going. It does get easier as time passes. I'm going to keep on doing this because when it's good it's to my taste, not someone elses.

I know people who can just sit there and say try this at x% and this at x% and two or 3 others at x% and they come out really well. I'm never going to be one of those people.

MisterMike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've got some DIY supplies on the way so I can get into this seriously. Some concentrated flavours, nic, additives, bottles and syringes. I've already got some PG and VG and a few flavours thanks to some prior attempts at 0-nic DIY that just didn't work out. They tasted fine, but lacked throat-hit, which is apparently very important to me.

I've got some tobaccos, some fruits and some desserts in my order, and I think I'm going to start out with a couple of simple tobacco or fruit flavours, and then maybe do up a fruit-tobacco blend or two, maybe some more complex fruit or dessert flavours if those work out.

Either way, my juice budget's gotten me about four times as much potential juice with this order alone, so I'll have the leisure to make a few mistakes.

Last edited:

Battlelance

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Some really great information in this thread, thanks!

I did think of another question though. I've taken a liking to 100% VG, and I understand that high VG juice needs more flavouring than a PG/VG blend. What about TH? Since PG has an effect on TH, as does nic, is there a way to jack up the TH without jacking up the nic level? Is this the role that pga plays in juice?

ChellyNelly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 26, 2011
Dartmouth, NS
There are a few things that will add to the throat hit but most of them will also add some flavour. Menthol being one, I want to say red pepper but I think that's wrong... Something like that anyway. There are a few other things as well that I can't recall right now, but someone will come along and inform us :D

BigPoppa17211

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2012
Calgary, AB
I've got some DIY supplies on the way so I can get into this seriously. Some concentrated flavours, nic, additives, bottles and syringes. I've already got some PG and VG and a few flavours thanks to some prior attempts at 0-nic DIY that just didn't work out. They tasted fine, but lacked throat-hit, which is apparently very important to me.

I've got some tobaccos, some fruits and some desserts in my order, and I think I'm going to start out with a couple of simple tobacco or fruit flavours, and then maybe do up a fruit-tobacco blend or two, maybe some more complex fruit or dessert flavours if those work out.

Either way, my juice budget's gotten me about four times as much potential juice with this order alone, so I'll have the leisure to make a few mistakes.

Just did the same. Waiting on my order to show up now. Using a juice calculator, I was shocked to see that the cost/30ml bottle would be between $2.50 and $3.00. That's a lot of bang for your buck! Now hopefully I can come up with some tasty juices that I can vape all day!

PS - Nice job on your blog! Will be following closely!

MisterMike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Just did the same. Waiting on my order to show up now. Using a juice calculator, I was shocked to see that the cost/30ml bottle would be between $2.50 and $3.00. That's a lot of bang for your buck! Now hopefully I can come up with some tasty juices that I can vape all day!

PS - Nice job on your blog! Will be following closely!

Thank you! With blogs, I tend not to stay interested for very long, but I think vaping is something I can keep on about. Glad to know I have at least one reader. :D

$2.50-$3.00? Wow. I did a quick 'n' dirty calculation on what I ordered and came to about $7.50 per bottle, including everything. I guess my flavourings'll last a lot longer than the nic, so I can theoretically spread that cost over a much larger area.

Thanks again!

BigPoppa17211

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2012
Calgary, AB
Thank you! With blogs, I tend not to stay interested for very long, but I think vaping is something I can keep on about. Glad to know I have at least one reader. :D

$2.50-$3.00? Wow. I did a quick 'n' dirty calculation on what I ordered and came to about $7.50 per bottle, including everything. I guess my flavourings'll last a lot longer than the nic, so I can theoretically spread that cost over a much larger area.

Thanks again!

No problem! I used scubabatdans calculator from the stickys on the diy forum. A must have tool for sure. Very detailed. On top of a recipe calculator, it allows you to put in the cost of all your ingredients and nic and shows a breakdown per ml. Of course that's not including the cost of the supplies like bottles and syringes.

My order should be here in the next couple of days, so I'll be sure to post my findings once I get going on this. Nice to have some fellow vapers to bounce ideas off of!

chagrin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 29, 2012
Toronto, Canada
There are a few things that will add to the throat hit but most of them will also add some flavour. Menthol being one, I want to say red pepper but I think that's wrong... Something like that anyway. There are a few other things as well that I can't recall right now, but someone will come along and inform us :D

I've heard of cayenne pepper ( and other pepper ) extracts many times and cayenne is apparently in some commercial juices. You can use menthol, or any type of mint as well and cinnamon, of course these will all be a different type of throat hit and will change the flavour.

Edit: Forgot the boooze. :p From what I've read a high proof alcohol will give some throat hit, vodka, rum, everclear and even congac. From my understanding vodka or rum is often used to replace distilled water and get the proper viscosity, but in lower proof. For throat hit you apparently want a tad more at a higher proof, because I believe most of the alcohol is burnt off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread